V. williams 4 yrs, Boz 4 years

3rivers

6 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

He didn't decline. He  got a contract extension and was injured in the HOF game. Never played again. The team had just given him a 4 year contract extension. Just like Boswell. I could go back and find the old threats of people on this forum talking about him. It's pretty similar to how they talk about Boswell.

Boswell was on his third team, and unemployed weeks into the season when the Steelers brought him in off the couch. Yea, he was some guy. Like nearly all kickers are.

I'd like to see a source on 4 of the 5 longest kicks made at Heinz. But regardless, his main competition are previous kickers. The two longest stints at Heinz pre Bos were Reed and Suisham. Two guys that people also thought were super clutch, but who lacked leg strength. Boswell himself isn't a guy you go into a game every week and say to yourself he's a weapon. If we get within 55 yards, I'm going to kick it. The previous two seasons, Tomlin actively avoided having Boswell even attempt from 50+.

People are going to sit here and malign paying Vince Williams the absolute minimum you pay a starting veteran ILB, then clap and applaud that they signed a replaceable kicker at top dollar.

I get what your saying but this isn't accurate. VW will average over $5 Million a year. 

Boswell has been a consistent kicker since he got here...and one of the more consistent kickers in the league over the years.

Saying he is easily replaceable is laughable, but I guess Im not surprised where its coming from.

Suisham, before he got to the Steelers, was very inconsistent....but turned it around and found his groove here for a few years....and yes, Boswell was an unknown when we signed him....but that doesnt mean youre always going to find a dependable kicker THAT easily.       Apparently some people like to ignore that some teams go through long droughts where they cant find a dependable kicker....or hell, look at who traded for before we FORTUNATELY found Boz....

Do I like paying big money to kickers?   No, but they have become increasingly important, and even if he isnt as good as Justin Tucker, he has been one of the most dependable kickers in the league the last few years, kicking at one of the harder stadiums to kick at in the league. 

18 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I don't believe in paying kickers unless you have someone like the guy in Baltimore. Someone with unique talents. Boswell supposedly being clutch doesn't cut it for me. Especially when you look at the fact that he was an unknown who replaced a guy who people talked up as Mr. Clutch. Do people even remember Suisham?

suisham was clutch but got hurt. kicker also feel the effects of injuries and get replaced. While I agree with signing a good kicker or keeping one that has been clutch etc, it would be nice if the team was better in other important areas so that we didn't have to rely on clutch kicker.  Does it work that way though?  I thought CB, edge, safety and ILB needed help more than signing a kicker to the biggest contract.  Boswell is good and deserves a good pay day as much as anyone, but with our D being a weakness, it will be something to wait and see about being a good return especially if team score 25+ a game on us

13 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Boswell has been a consistent kicker since he got here...and one of the more consistent kickers in the league over the years.

Saying he is easily replaceable is laughable, but I guess Im not surprised where its coming from.

Suisham, before he got to the Steelers, was very inconsistent....but turned it around and found his groove here for a few years....and yes, Boswell was an unknown when we signed him....but that doesnt mean youre always going to find a dependable kicker THAT easily.       Apparently some people like to ignore that some teams go through long droughts where they cant find a dependable kicker....or hell, look at who traded for before we FORTUNATELY found Boz....

Do I like paying big money to kickers?   No, but they have become increasingly important, and even if he isnt as good as Justin Tucker, he has been one of the most dependable kickers in the league the last few years, kicking at one of the harder stadiums to kick at in the league. 

Suisham was inconsistent before coming to Pittsburgh. Then he was Mr. Clutch to Steelers fans.

I've seen teams struggle with kicking while transitioning or something happens like their kicker got hurt in camp. I've also seen far more teams pick a guy off the scrap heap and do just fine. I've seen the Steelers do it multiple times. Teams that have kicking issues usually/almost always correct them and return to at least league average in short order.

Then you bring up Josh Scobee. A guy who was one of the better kickers int he league before falling off a cliff mentally and seemingly without reason. Not too far off from what happened to Jeff Reed. In fact, there are a number of people who get paid to write about football who have noted that there is fluctuation in things like kicking percentages from year to year. Kickers have more fluctuation in performance than most other positions on the field. As in, a guy who hit 90% one year is just as likely to drop to the league average the next.

Then you're paying these kickers at a time when kicking is trending upwards league wide. He has 4 of the 5 longest kicks at Heinz? Wouldn't surprise me as league wide kickers are making kicks at 50+ far more than they used to. They're hitting at every distance at greater accuracy, but the greatest growth in accuracy has been at 50+. In the past decade they're about 10% more likely to hit at that range.

This isn't opinion. It's what the data shows. It's what a number of people far smarter than 43 have argued. The numbers don't indicate that paying kickers is a wise investment.

8 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

A guy I’d like them to give an extension to would be Alalu...great depth.

depth is important but not many teams account for it . He has been good, I would have no problem if they tried to get him more snaps, solid player and a good signing. Once again with Bell not signing the mega deal, the FO has decided to sign current players that DO want to stay.  Normally this is a good move IMO, but I still would have preferred a different offseason for the D. 

Archived