2019 draft/QB position league wide

OrangeNBlue86

16 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Except Paxton may have been the worst 1st round QB this century - which rings louder than anything else.

I mean there are a lot of really bad QBs taken in the first round. EJ Manuel, Brandon Weeden, Gabbert, Ponder, Tebow, etc etc.

You guys are right though, it is the opportunity cost of Lynch specifically that set us back. Osweiler wasn't as bad I don't think (granted he was horrible, but do we win Super Bowl without him? who knows).

The one thing about Oz that I knock Elway for - we stood pat.   Look at the Pats - they had Brady - and they kept taking repeated shots at QB, looking for the next franchise guy until they found JimmyG.   They didn't just sit on JimmyG, either - they drafted Brissett and traded him for some extra value (Dorsett didn't work out, but they got a free shot to find a WR).    Mallett, O'Connell, JimmyG, Brissett, and of course, now they're still looking (Etling). Yeah, everyone only looks at JimmyG - but the point is, the Pats realized, if it's a Day 3 pick, why not take a shot.  Now, that's NOT the approach when you need QB soon. But when you have Peyton, that's exactly the type of thinking that sets you up when he's ready to leave.  It's not like Oz showed anything that said OMG he's the next guy. 

The problem with taking a QB Rd1, though - you don't take extra shots, and we all get why.   Now, I fully recognize the draft record with Day 2-3 picks is VERY iffy.  It's why you can't take these shots as the ideal plan.   But I would rather take 2-3 Day 2-3 shots at QB in 4 years....than stick with a guy who clearly didn't progress.   Or worse, reach super hard for a Day 1 pick that has no business being taken top 40-50 overall.  The problem is, 2018 was so unlikely to have that - but 2016 & 2019, totally the situation we found ourselves in (and now find ourselves).    The 2016 and now the 2019 dilemna - QB class at the top is so iffy where we are going to pick.  Its' why Kelly at least showing something so we could wait 1 more year was so crucial IMO.  2020 again is a very promising year for QB's (REALLY promising) - but if we invest early in 2019...well guess what?  We'll be passing in 2020,  because we invested so much in 2019's guy.  It's so frustrating, because our QB-panic and must-win-now mentality are forcing the wrong decisions.   All we had to do was realize there was no QBOTF in FA, and then we pass on Keenum.   SMH.

Now, having said that, ironically - Keenum's contract could make it so unpalatable we're forced to wait for 2020 draft.   In some ways, I think that may have been Elway's thinking - he wanted no part of 2019's draft class, and so built a 2-year deal specifically so they could wait until 2020 to dive back into the draft.   Of course, what he didn't count on was Keenum being THIS bad - which was my biggest fear going in.  Still, I actually get the 2-year deal angle, because it was very clear even last year that 2019's class was going to be really thin, compared to 2018.  It's just literally our worst-case scenario has happened - Lynch flamed out (100 percent probability IMO, but whatever), Kelly messed up & isn't in our 2019 plans, and yup, Keenum was more like pre-2017 version than 2017 MIN version.   So going 2 years with Keenum is so unpalatable, fans aren't showing up to games...which is pushing the team to consider spending a Day 1 pick on QB, or worse.   Ugh.

I continue to be impressed with Kyler Murray. Special athlete and all-around arm talent is way better than advertised. Sometimes looks effortless. 

And yeah, he's 5'10" with a small frame and would have to be talked out of baseball. With how awful the 2019 crop looks, he is still worth discussing. 

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I continue to be impressed with Kyler Murray. Special athlete and all-around arm talent is way better than advertised. Sometimes looks effortless. 

And yeah, he's 5'10" with a small frame and would have to be talked out of baseball. With how awful the 2019 crop looks, he is still worth discussing. 

Why not Khalil Tate? 

7 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

He signed with the Oakland a’s for like $7 mil so don’t think he is gonna do football. They let him play one more year as part of the signing. 

1 minute ago, OrangeNBlue86 said:

He signed with the Oakland a’s for like $7 mil so don’t think he is gonna do football. They let him play one more year as part of the signing. 

4.7 million. He could always change his mind and pay it back. Unlikely, but not impossible. Worth exploring IMO. 

Daniel Jones out of Duke is an interesting candidate.  Watched a few games of his over the weekend.  Appears to have the physical traits to succeed in the NFL and is a better athlete than I was expecting.  Also has been under Cutcliff’s tutelage whose well regarded for his work with QBs, so you’d assume he’d have a strong grasp mentally.

7 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Daniel Jones out of Duke is an interesting candidate.  Watched a few games of his over the weekend.  Appears to have the physical traits to succeed in the NFL and is a better athlete than I was expecting.  Also has been under Cutcliff’s tutelage whose well regarded for his work with QBs, so you’d assume he’d have a strong grasp mentally.

I think he is a good prospect too.  I have been noticing the best QBs in the league right now get the ball out quickly because they trust their WRs to get the ball.  Aaron Rogers seems to just lay balls up to let Adams and et al to go get it...we keep getting QBs that need WRs to be wide open...in just a few tapes it looks like Jones gets it out quickly enough...nothing is perfect...gotta truss

Archived