2019 draft/QB position league wide

OrangeNBlue86

22 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Daniel Jones out of Duke is an interesting candidate.  Watched a few games of his over the weekend.  Appears to have the physical traits to succeed in the NFL and is a better athlete than I was expecting.  Also has been under Cutcliff’s tutelage whose well regarded for his work with QBs, so you’d assume he’d have a strong grasp mentally.

I'd have no problem with Jones...if he's a Day 2 pick.   His bust potential as an early Rd1 pick, way too high.    The fact that it's taken this long to even pop up on the radar for any of these QB's is a huge warning sign IMO.    Offseason, it was Stidham and Patterson.  Then it was Grier.  Then it was Montez.    Now it's Jones.   Which kinda tells us how desperate scouts are to find someone.  And while Herbert has clearly been the best prospect - man, even he's struggled...hard.   Now, like Darnold last year, it was all on him with key injuries and awful OL play - but Darnold's mistakes in his final college year were from trying to do too much.  You could see the elite anticipation and ball placement.   I have to say, Herbert's not shown that in the L's.   That's concerning.

We would never do it, but the teams that are hopeless for 2019 contention and need a QB, are probably going to call it a day, wait until Day 2-3 for a project, and put all their eggs in a basket for the 2020 class.   Tank for Tu'a is already the call...but there are more guys there for sure.  Of course, just our luck that 2019 is the make-or-break year for us to find QBOTF.   As much as I really have zero belief in Keenum, and it was an awful choice, in this case, 2 wrongs might make a right, if we choose to pass on Rd1 and wait it out until 2020 for a high investment.   It would just make for VERY painful viewing of games on Sundays next year.

If we want to take a Rd3-4 shot on a guy like Montez, though, great.   Because that shouldn't preclude us from going Rd1 if we are in position to get a true franchise-level QB in 2020.  That's probably the one area where Elway could learn from the other franchises - take a shot at QB frequently if you don't have the high-investment guy available, but then don't get married to the guys you have (which comes with not overpaying if the guy's not a legit franchise-level prospect, but a true project).

I wonder what the price for Jacoby Brissett would be. With Andrew Luck now proving his health, I assume the Colts would be willing to part ways. I always loved his skillset and would like to see him over a season with him being the undisputed #1 guy.

Before it gets lost in the Random Talk thread, I'll state for the record that when I said I didn't want Carr if we had to trade a 1st, but I'd do it for a 3rd-4th - I was aiming way too high, or I was just plain high.   His performance tonight was awful, after a decent IND performance in a L, once again he showed all the Eli-like traits that you don't want to see - eyes down, checking down right away, not looking downfield, and seeing ghosts - he actually stepped up into pressure for about 2-3 of the 6 sacks tonight.   And it's not just the last few weeks - it's now been a full season at least where these flaws have appeared.  To say it's a huge red flag is an understatement.

I know an org with a great QB guru and OC mind can probably fix him - I just don't have any faith it could be us, even with Musgrave.  It's sad, because 2015-16 Carr would have been a guy we would have killed to have.  But 2017-18 Carr is really a broken dude, the injuries and hits have taken a huge toll on him.  There's absolutely no guarantee he can be salvaged, when it's this bad.   It would be one thing to pay him 25M a year to find out.  But to pay any draft capital to get him?  No thanks.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Before it gets lost in the Random Talk thread, I'll state for the record that when I said I didn't want Carr if we had to trade a 1st, but I'd do it for a 3rd-4th - I was aiming way too high, or I was just plain high.   His performance tonight was awful, after a decent IND performance in a L, once again he showed all the Eli-like traits that you don't want to see - eyes down, checking down right away, not looking downfield, and seeing ghosts - he actually stepped up into pressure for about 2-3 of the 6 sacks tonight.   And it's not just the last few weeks - it's now been a full season at least where these flaws have appeared.  To say it's a huge red flag is an understatement.

I know an org with a great QB guru and OC mind can probably fix him - I just don't have any faith it could be us, even with Musgrave.  It's sad, because 2015-16 Carr would have been a guy we would have killed to have.  But 2017-18 Carr is really a broken dude, the injuries and hits have taken a huge toll on him.  There's absolutely no guarantee he can be salvaged, when it's this bad.   It would be one thing to pay him 25M a year to find out.  But to pay any draft capital to get him?  No thanks.

We might be really disappointed this offseason.  There's 11 qbs that could very well change teams. So you're gonna see a lot of average guys change teams. Couple that with a weak draft and a lot of teams fans may be dissapointed. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

We might be really disappointed this offseason.  There's 11 qbs that could very well change teams. So you're gonna see a lot of average guys change teams. Couple that with a weak draft and a lot of teams fans may be dissapointed. 

Yeah it’s a bad year to need a new QB.  A FA like Cousins happens once every 10 years.   And Bridgewater wasn’t even in the top 3 FA targets last year amongst targets (but clearly in hindsight should have been).    If NO doesn’t sign him long term he’s likely getting crazy FA $.  

The draft is full of projects who last year would probably not even sniff Rd2.   No matter who we have available at our range Rd1 they will be so flawed or unproven it’s scary.  Talking Trubisky - level untested.  So yeah...ugly. 

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah it’s a bad year to need a new QB.  A FA like Cousins happens once every 10 years.   And Bridgewater wasn’t even in the top 3 FA targets last year amongst targets (but clearly in hindsight should have been).    If NO doesn’t sign him long term he’s likely getting crazy FA $.  

The draft is full of projects who last year would probably not even sniff Rd2.   No matter who we have available at our range Rd1 they will be so flawed or unproven it’s scary.  Talking Trubisky - level untested.  So yeah...ugly. 

Maybe Mullens becomes the 49ers answer at QB and JimmyG becomes available.  I like Jimmy's game...hate the f***cking nickname, but he can play....f***cking JimmyG.

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't mind projects I dont . I don't even mind if there was a raw talented guy like a Mahomes who needs the just sit a year. We just need a coach that can develop qbs ala Andy Reid. But right now we don't even have a qb that can hold a rookie off for a year. 

Archived