Raiders cut 2nd round pick from 2017 draft Obi Melifonwu DB

49erurtaza

Very disappointing but the writing was on the wall. The guy simply just can't get healthy. Not last year and not this year. He has barely ever practiced, and when he did get in to a game he was poor.

I liked the pick at the time and wish we could have stashed him on IR to see what he really has, but it is what it is. No more scholarships with Gruden in town.

I remember how high so many people were on him during the draft. I know that he was having trouble staying on the field. Pretty hard to get cut in your second year as a second round pick. Mile High Report did a study a few years back...only about 4% of second round picks aren't around for their second year. 

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Rapoport tweeted that the organization felt he never liked football enough. Good job drafting a kid with that kind of question in round 2, RM.

Reggie has been a horrible drafter outside of the Mack/Carr/Jackson draft. Hayden, Ward, Obi, etc. Just brutal. He is solid later on and in UDFA, but besides that he is poor. Thankfully Gruden is in now and helping out. A number of our draft picks this year have already shown more promise than RM's ever have.

Archived