Raiders cut 2nd round pick from 2017 draft Obi Melifonwu DB

49erurtaza

We really haven't seen him play football. Was on IR to start the year last year, came back and played like a raw rookie for a couple games, then got hurt again and missed the rest of the season. Then this year it's the same story.

He was always going to be a boom or bust guy even if he was healthy. But it just sucks injury kept him from even competing. 

52 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Can a Raiders fan explain this for those not familiar with what happened?

Injured in camp last year. Was on IR, activated, went back to IR. Rumblings from the previous staff/players that he wasn't hungry enough and didn't want to play/practice through injuries. Spent most of this offseason doing the same. Called out by Gruden for not being on the field (feeling as though he should be by the tone). Came back for 1 practice, then was injured again. 

Raiders apologists will say "shame, he just couldn't get healthy". I'll be real... He's SOFT, period. He doesn't want it. An Al Davis throw back. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. 

He will collect what paychecks some team dumb enough to give him he can before washing out.

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Injured in camp last year. Was on IR, activated, went back to IR. Rumblings from the previous staff/players that he wasn't hungry enough and didn't want to play/practice through injuries. Spent most of this offseason doing the same. Called out by Gruden for not being on the field (feeling as though he should be by the tone). Came back for 1 practice, then was injured again. 

Raiders apologists will say "shame, he just couldn't get healthy". I'll be real... He's SOFT, period. He doesn't want it. An Al Davis throw back. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. 

He will collect what paychecks some team dumb enough to give him he can before washing out.

I dunno man it's hard to evaluate someone when they don't play. Maybe he's soft and a whiner. Hard to tell because we aren't in the locker room. But hey, if he's that badly injured, it's fine we'll look elsewhere. Mckenzie has been busting in the 2nd round for a while though. I'm not a fan.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I dunno man it's hard to evaluate someone when they don't play. Maybe he's soft and a whiner. Hard to tell because we aren't in the locker room. But hey, if he's that badly injured, it's fine we'll look elsewhere. Mckenzie has been busting in the 2nd round for a while though. I'm not a fan.

https://theathletic.com/486879/2018/08/23/quick-trigger-raiders-waive-2017-second-round-pick-obi-melifonwu/

But last year’s coaching staff and this year’s both might agree that Melifonwu’s biggest malady may be that he doesn’t love football. There were whispers that Melifonwu was “fragile” in the locker room last season, and that would be a big reason why Gruden would cut him when it wouldn’t cost anything to stash him on IR for another year. 

I asked Gruden about Melifonwu several times in the last two weeks, but his most telling response was in a 1-on-1 encounter in the locker room after the first preseason game.

“He is still being evaluated,” Gruden said. “We have a team of evaluators … and they are going to give us all the evaluations.” 

He couldn’t keep a straight face, and the body language was clear: Melifonwu was a lost cause

Fair or not, Gruden and his teammates didn’t think Melifonwu wanted it, and they didn’t want him.

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Honestly if this is true, I'm way more pissed about this than I am if he was just a bad player. If you're just a bad player its whatever. But if you just don't care and are cashing checks, you're lower than garbage to me.

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly if this is true, I'm way more pissed about this than I am if he was just a bad player. If you're just a bad player its whatever. But if you just don't care and are cashing checks, you're lower than garbage to me.

Not loving football enough =/= not caring at all. 

Not caring enough to be a professional athlete =/= being “lower than garbage”.

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Disagree. That is 90+% of the population. It sucks, but it is actually the norm. Football players in general are the anomaly. That is on the FO that didn't catch that in the draft process.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Disagree. That is 90+% of the population. It sucks, but it is actually the norm. Football players in general are the anomaly. That is on the FO that didn't catch that in the draft process.

Not disagreeing. But anyone can sell themselves in the predraft process. True character has to be demonstrated and clearly Obi didn't show the staff enough. This is all hearsay though, I can't verify if he legit doesn't care or not. I would be livid if it's true though.

I'd claim him. Worst case scenario, you cut him after 2018. Might be a worthwhile reclamation project with a change of scenery and the right coaching staff.

EDIT: I get the feeling that Dallas is going to claim him.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd claim him. Worst case scenario, you cut him after 2018. Might be a worthwhile reclamation project with a change of scenery and the right coaching staff.

EDIT: I get the feeling that Dallas is going to claim him.

I don't know why a team would use a roster spot on him if he's not in playing shape right now. At best we're talking a PUP guy but he has serious injury issues this year I assume or we wouldn't have just outright cut him. He's waived/injured, not outright waived IMO.

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't know why a team would use a roster spot on him if he's not in playing shape right now. At best we're talking a PUP guy but he has serious injury issues this year I assume or we wouldn't have just outright cut him.

You haven't cut him yet. Unless somebody claims him, he reverts to your IR. Y'all can release him later with an injury settlement, but his entire 2018 salary is guaranteed, IIRC, so there's not much point in that.

7 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

Another super high-cut build guy decimated by lower body injuries. Shame.

His vagina is injured, he is way too soft.  Guy was a terrible pick from day 1 and was only drafted because of his combine/measurables.  He wasn’t a good prospect and RM has struggled drafting outside of 2014.  He needs to be our #s guy and leave player evaluations to Gruden.

21 minutes ago, daineraider said:

His vagina is injured, he is way too soft.  Guy was a terrible pick from day 1 and was only drafted because of his combine/measurables.  He wasn’t a good prospect and RM has struggled drafting outside of 2014.  He needs to be our #s guy and leave player evaluations to Gruden.

Be careful what you wish for.

Archived