Raiders cut 2nd round pick from 2017 draft Obi Melifonwu DB

49erurtaza

Reminds me of what happened to Ras I Dowling.   Was a fan of his coming out, just like Obi, but couldnt stay healthy.

Still, its odd giving up on a 24 year old 2nd round pick who hasnt even got into his 2nd season.  

Not necessarily saying the Raiders are making a mistake, but are they really that loaded at safety?   Its one of the weaker positions leaguewide, so they mustve really thought little of him to bounce him this quick.

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not necessarily saying the Raiders are making a mistake, but are they really that loaded at safety?   Its one of the weaker positions leaguewide, so they mustve really thought little of him to bounce him this quick.

Furthest thing from it tbh. Our starters are Karl Joseph who has been somewhat of a disappointment and Marcus Gilchrist, the average at best veteran. Behind them we have a few young guys who have flashed but I don't trust to be anything whatsoever. 

I just wish our Tackle situation wasn't so dire heading in to the draft so we could have selected Derwin James and be done with it. Oh well.

10 hours ago, daineraider said:

His vagina is injured, he is way too soft.  Guy was a terrible pick from day 1 and was only drafted because of his combine/measurables.  He wasn’t a good prospect and RM has struggled drafting outside of 2014.  He needs to be our #s guy and leave player evaluations to Gruden.

toxic masculinity is strong in this one.

31 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

toxic masculinity is strong in this one.

You’re correct, I should have said I’m sick of him being soft and acting like a baby(not sure if that’s offensive to babies as I’m still working on the whole PC thing).  I did not mean any offense to any person with said body part in my original post.

11 hours ago, daineraider said:

His vagina is injured, he is way too soft.  Guy was a terrible pick from day 1 and was only drafted because of his combine/measurables.  He wasn’t a good prospect and RM has struggled drafting outside of 2014.  He needs to be our #s guy and leave player evaluations to Gruden.

Can’t understand why people keep saying this, can you not recall Gruden’s draft classes at Tampa Bay.......... he’s got a worse track record than McKenzie. Every team drafts busts in every round, it’s not just peculiar to us. 

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Can’t understand why people keep saying this, can you not recall Gruden’s draft classes at Tampa Bay.......... he’s got a worse track record than McKenzie. Every team drafts busts in every round, it’s not just peculiar to us. 

I say it because RM has been particularly awful the last several years at drafting.  I understand that not everyone is going to be a Mack, Carr etc, but I’m also not going to pretend like it’s cool that RM sucks at drafting because lots of other guys suck at it too.  Outside of our 1st round pick I quite enjoyed our draft this year, which is something I haven’t said for several years.

Just now, daineraider said:

I say it because RM has been particularly awful the last several years at drafting.  I understand that not everyone is going to be a Mack, Carr etc, but I’m also not going to pretend like it’s cool that RM sucks at drafting because lots of other guys suck at it too.  Outside of our 1st round pick I quite enjoyed our draft this year, which is something I haven’t said for several years.

But he hasn’t, he’s been right about middle of the pack, I think it’s easy to over estimate other teams drafts......... still early to judge the last couple drafts too................ If they land us a shut down CB, a starting safety, a middle linebacker and a few DL studs like they appear to be hinting at (during pre season with the new coaches) I would think he’d be much more in credit

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly if this is true, I'm way more pissed about this than I am if he was just a bad player. If you're just a bad player its whatever. But if you just don't care and are cashing checks, you're lower than garbage to me.

How come?  To me this is on the organization for drafting him.  If he doesn't care about football and just did it cause he was good at it and it provided him with a free college education then your scouts should have found out about this.  I don't blame Obi one bit.  He just hustled his way to a free education and a nice paycheck from the NFL. 

Raiders should have known this kid didn't care about football before they drafted him.  I never blame a broke individual from making money of a billion dollar corporation stupid enough to just give it away.

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not disagreeing. But anyone can sell themselves in the predraft process. True character has to be demonstrated and clearly Obi didn't show the staff enough. This is all hearsay though, I can't verify if he legit doesn't care or not. I would be livid if it's true though.

That's what everyone does in every job interview.  They try to hide their flaws and sell themselves.  Its on the organization to find out what is true and what isn't.

I don't blame Obi one bit for hustling the Raiders.  NFL teams treat these players like they are pieces of meat.  Getting rid of them the second their games fall off.  I don't blame players for exploiting them as well.

Even though he was hurt, it still seems odd.  He was just a rookie last year.  I could see if he had missed his first 3 years or something.  Look at Kevin White as an example... He's been injured since he's been in the league.  I believe White was drafted in 2015, which was three years ago and the Bears have stuck with him.  It's a bit different because White was a high first round pick, but still.... three years.  Seems really odd to invest valuable resources into a rookie and cut him after just one year because he's injured.

19 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Reggie has been a horrible drafter outside of the Mack/Carr/Jackson draft. Hayden, Ward, Obi, etc. Just brutal. He is solid later on and in UDFA, but besides that he is poor. Thankfully Gruden is in now and helping out. A number of our draft picks this year have already shown more promise than RM's ever have.

Unfortunately, that's what most "good" GMs tend to do.  They have a 2-3 year period where they draft at a ridiculously high rate, and after that they tend to fall off.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well then Gruden needs to hire a real GM who is not reggie McKenzie. Reggie is not a quality GM. Hes had too many missteps in early rounds. 

Archived