Looking back at Reggie's drafts as the Raiders GM.

RaidersAreOne

How has Reggie done at drafting while our GM?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is Reggie cutting it as our GM with regards to draft picks?

• Yes. I am happy having him handle our drafts.
    • Wouldn't be bothered if he was in charge or not.
    • No. He hasn't done enough with the opportunities.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If he didn't already this past year that is (which I think he certainly had the final say in). I hope Reggie stays on because like others have said, he is good at working the cap and FA negotiations for the most part. He also has an eye for UDFA's but overall can't be trusted drafting anymore.

If it wasn't for the 2014 draft, he would be gone imo.

yea i think gruden had a huge role in this draft too.
As someone said earlier, Reggie takes to many chances in the first and 2nd round.

2014 was an incredible class, that could go down as one of the raiders best drafts ever, but its almost like it got to Reggies head. you dont need to draft people in the 2nd who are 3rd and 4th round prospects. 

I just wanted to say that R. McKenzie did a good job getting us K.O., D. Penn, R. Hudson, and B. Irvin.  Those 4 were some great pick ups.  He solidied half of the offensive line and brought us a good pass rusher to pair with K. Mack.  I think this draft is going to solidify both lines.  I also think his pickup of J. Nelson and J. Cook are pretty good and even R. Nelson his first year was a decent pick up.  Then you count J. Richard and and possibly C. Warren III as great RB depth.  I think having 3-4 mediocre HCs prior to J. Gruden has really messed up the development with a lot of these past players.  Injuries don't help either.

I just think you have to add FAs and undrafted players to really sum up R. McKenzie's job as the GM.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Careful what you wish for. Gruden isn't exactly know as some great talent evaluator. He struggled building those Tampa teams through the draft.

Reggie is out after this season IMO anyway. I see Gruden bringing in his own guy.

We will just have to wait and see how it plays out. Seeing Gruden take chances on Key and Hurst was refreshing and exactly what our team needed. I don't get the feeling Reggie would have made those selections. 

I will say I am worried if he brings in his old buddy Bruce Allen. That would be a big mistake imo. 

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I just wanted to say that R. McKenzie did a good job getting us K.O., D. Penn, R. Hudson, and B. Irvin.  Those 4 were some great pick ups.  He solidied half of the offensive line and brought us a good pass rusher to pair with K. Mack.  I think this draft is going to solidify both lines.  I also think his pickup of J. Nelson and J. Cook are pretty good and even R. Nelson his first year was a decent pick up.  Then you count J. Richard and and possibly C. Warren III as great RB depth.  I think having 3-4 mediocre HCs prior to J. Gruden has really messed up the development with a lot of these past players.  Injuries don't help either.

I just think you have to add FAs and undrafted players to really sum up R. McKenzie's job as the GM.

But he was responsible for getting those head coaches. So that falls on him as well. He doesn't get to remove himself for failures in coaching and player development 

18 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I will always respect Reggie for what he has done our GM. He took on the worst roster/coaching staff/facilities/overall state of the team head on. He brought us out of cap hall. He brought us back to respectability. He helped transform us over the years in to a  promising team. For these reasons, I have always backed the guy 100% and turned a blind eye to his mistakes. However with this Obi experiment officially over with, it really got me frustrated and thinking about how bad of a high round drafter Reggie Mckenzie is!

What's your overall thoughts of Reggie when it comes to drafting? He has had ample opportunities to build this team up. I feel he does well at finding guys late and in UDFA, but have little confidence in him when drafting in rounds 1-3.

Very interesting topic, and seeing as most people are pretty happy with the lower rounds I’ll only comment on McKenzies apparently horrible high picks...................

2012 - The only real high pick was end of round 3 in which we drafted OT Bergstrom. I can overlook this as we were drafting with a scouting team McKenzie inherited and specifically for the zone blocking scheme which was abandoned soon after, though even still Berg wasn’t much of a player.

2013 - We effectively got a zone corner who was injury prone, an injury prone developmental OT and an average starting LB who outstayed his welcome. Not a good draft class overall but we should have gotten more from it.

2014 - We landed a HoF pass rusher, a franchise QB and a Pro Bowl level guard. Legendary.

2015 - I’m not writing Cooper off yet and think he can be a real difference maker with a good OC, Edwards has been underwhelming and it can’t all be blamed on injury. Walford was a below average TE who never got near his ceiling. I’d say this was a ‘league average type class.

2016 - Joseph I really liked but had reservations about him matching up with TEs which unfortunately has proven to be true. I’m excited to see what he can do with a DC who knows what he’s actually doing. Hated the Ward pick and with good reason, Calhoun was looking like a total bust but another player who Guenther might make into an actual contributor. Disappointing draft class thus far.

2017 - Conley looks like a shutdown CB to me if he can stay on the field, Obi obviously was a bust and I’m optimistic Vanderdoes can be at least a solid contributor. If that is so, even with Obi it will be a decent draft class.

2018 - Too early to tell but it is looking very promising............

In summation, we’ve not hit the first 3 rounds out the park but I honestly don’t think we’re below league average here either. 2nd round looks particularly weak for us but we’ve been particularly good in the sixth and seventh rounds. We’ve been hamstrung specifically on D by terrible coaching which I think has contributed to lack of development on that side of the ball and while McKenzie is not blame free (he did ultimately sign off on the coaches and co-ordinations) I think we may see some more success with our defensive draft picks from now on. I’m a little disappointed with our recent draft history but I think it’s inaccurate to say McKenzie is a bad drafter when compared with his peers. 

Reggie has an WTF moment in every draft.  

I don’t know if he overuses analytics but he does pick some head scratchers.

The 2014 draft might go down as one of the best draft classes ever. It’s quite possible to have two HOF in the draft.

I voted wouldn't be bothered.

I'm a HUGE fan of RM. A GM does more than just draft. Looking at Cleveland's past years of drafting didn't help them much. Pats don't really do much and Bill could also be said to be living off the Brady 6th round hype as RM is living off 2014. Green Bay where RM came from also misses on a lot of their picks but those that stick make the roster look home grown. Al traded up to the pick before Rodgers but went with CB Fabian Washington. We had QB Kerry Collins as our starter so Al didn't go after the local kid which I thought he traded up to get the guy.

So RM's drafting is on par with hits and misses but he got enough players to make us competitive which the Browns haven't been until maybe this season. We all knew it was going to take quite a few seasons to get on track and IMO RM got us there quicker. Del Rio was a huge upgrade from what we had the seasons before and if Gruden has us in the playoffs more years than not, then he's an upgrade above that. Hoping he get legendary status with leading us to many SB victories but that story has yet to be told.

RM got us out of cap hell. Carr and Mack will put us into a different cap hell which all teams with successful stars will be in. That's what mades Brady GREAT. Dude has always reworked his contract to help the teams cap. Hopefully Carr and Mack will be like that too once Macks paid. If they want championships, then it will be up to the players to do whatever it takes. It's why Marshawn is so good for us right now. The guy could have never retired and made bank but wanted to come to OAKLAND to help leave a legacy for something he LOVES...

I'm hoping Gruden and Reggie work together because neither of them has a history of being GREAT with every draft but working TOGETHER should help make the RAIDERS the team of the next decade. :D

Or go down in an even bigger mess than after Al passed owing a HC milllions on top of a new stadium that has more fans from the other team than the home team...:S

14 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Tafur is reporting Karl Joseph most likely not a starter this year. That puts him in the bust category. 

Another brutal whiff by Reggie 

I'll say pump the brakes on this one. He's never even been allowed to play significant snaps at FS. He's a solid player at this stage of his career. Not a bust.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'll say pump the brakes on this one. He's never even been allowed to play significant snaps at FS. He's a solid player at this stage of his career. Not a bust.

If he doesn't start, hes definitely a bust. Erik Harris and Marcus Gilchrist starting over a top 20 pick in his 3rd year?  That's not good any way you want to slice it.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:48 AM, StocktonSav said:

But he was responsible for getting those head coaches. So that falls on him as well. He doesn't get to remove himself for failures in coaching and player development 

So who was going to take over a team that had no money and no draft picks in DA’s first year? No one who was a reputable coach was going to take this job. Who was going to take over a team that had gone ten plus games without a win the year before? Sorry but you can’t fault Reggie for not being able to sell the franchise to coaches. Especially when Mark Davis has very little money to offer back then. The options weren’t there. Tbh I’m skeptical of Gruden, the offense hasn’t impressed and I’m pretty sure Carr is going to get worked behind that line. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

So who was going to take over a team that had no money and no draft picks in DA’s first year? No one who was a reputable coach was going to take this job. Who was going to take over a team that had gone ten plus games without a win the year before? Sorry but you can’t fault Reggie for not being able to sell the franchise to coaches. Especially when Mark Davis has very little money to offer back then. The options weren’t there. Tbh I’m skeptical of Gruden, the offense hasn’t impressed and I’m pretty sure Carr is going to get worked behind that line. 

I don't think the only two options were expensive "reputable coach" or Dennis Allen. Yes our options were limited. But its not like Allen was our only option. Reggie struck out badly on DA. And my statement applies to Del Rio as well. And more so for hiring coaches who continuously made terrible coordinator selections.

Archived