Greatest Runningback of all time?

mdonnelly21

191 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Runningback of all time?

44 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Like I said earlier, you are NOT going to see things my way and I will not agree with your stance on Sanders.

I agree he was a phenomenal talent, but the best athlete I ever witnessed to play the RB position was and still is Emmitt Smith.

That's all I'm gonna say.

Okay, so no counterargument? Alright sounds good to me

3 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

How is Barry winning this? My man had the most lost yds in NFL history, was not an elite receiver or blocker and struggled at the goal line.

People get hypnotized by flash over consistent substance. I seen the same thing with Rodgers. Fans ignore play 1 to 30 where what you got was avg to below avg play. But play 31 to 35 or 36, is a handful of flashy spectacular plays that fans seem to extrapolate the value of those flashy plays. Those flashy player are usually big gain plays so they also fatten their stats and efficiency.  I appreciate and marvel at the flashy plays. But i value the consistency of play from play 1 to 36.  Gimme Payton or LT. 

This isn't true. It's a myth people bring up based on old sportswriter tales that have very little basis in reality. You can pretty readily easily look up every play from Barry in every season and dispute this. Just looking through his 1997 season where he ran for 2000 yards the only games that had a significant number of rushes net for negative yards were the ones against Buffalo, Atlanta, and Tampa. I wish people would stop with this "O Barry just ran for negative yards on 20 rushes, but then had 5 rushes for 30 yards! that's why his average was so high"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

How is Barry winning this? My man had the most lost yds in NFL history, was not an elite receiver or blocker and struggled at the goal line.

People get hypnotized by flash over consistent substance. I seen the same thing with Rodgers. Fans ignore play 1 to 30 where what you got was avg to below avg play. But play 31 to 35 or 36, is a handful of flashy spectacular plays that fans seem to extrapolate the value of those flashy plays. Those flashy player are usually big gain plays so they also fatten their stats and efficiency.  I appreciate and marvel at the flashy plays. But i value the consistency of play from play 1 to 36.  Gimme Payton or LT. 

Walter Payton is 2nd on that negative yardage list.

The greatest RB is without question Jim Brown. Nobody ever dominated the NFL like he did.  He averaged 100 yards a game for his career, who does that?  He averaged over 5 yards a carry vs teams totally stacked to stop him. And they still couldn't do it.

At 6-2 230 pounds and 4.5 speed he could average 4 yards a carry right now.

Sanders, Payton, Dickerson, Simpson, LT, Sayers, can fight it out on a lesser level.  Emmitt after they fight it out.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

The greatest RB is without question Jim Brown. Nobody ever dominated the NFL like he did.  He averaged 100 yards a game for his career, who does that?  He averaged over 5 yards a carry vs teams totally stacked to stop him. And they still couldn't do it.

Wait are you serious?

17 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Wait are you serious?

Totally, 100%, serious.

There is nobody close to Jim Brown actually, he's like Jerry Rice/Don Hutson simply on another level.

One of a ton.

NFL Top 50: Jim Brown is best player in league history, edges Giants' Lawrence Taylor in Daily News' rankings (Nos. 1-10)

Two of a ton.

Jim Brown is the Best Running Back of All Time, and Here's Why .

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Totally, 100%, serious.

There is nobody close to Jim Brown actually, he's like Jerry Rice/Don Hutson simply on another level.

No, I agree but you were discrediting older players before as being slower and lesser athletes than today's athletes and used that as an argument as to how Russel Wilson is so great; players are better now, so he plays against better defenses. Apparently anybody like Marino/Montana wouldnt do well in today's game with today's athletes, but now you are saying Jim Brown who played 50+ years ago is the GOAT?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

No, I agree but you were discrediting older players before as being slower and lesser athletes than today's athletes and used that as an argument as to how Russel Wilson is so great; players are better now, so he plays against better defenses. Apparently anybody like Marino/Montana wouldnt do well in today's game with today's athletes, but now you are saying Jim Brown who played 50+ years ago is the GOAT?

I had a feeling you weren't getting it, you weren't.

When talking about THE GOAT you always go with that dominance of era, that is all that matters.

When talking about could those old timers be as dominate today then that is a....nope. 

Brown with his size/speed combo could play today, but not close to dominating.

10 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

I had a feeling you weren't getting it, you weren't.

When talking about THE GOAT you always go with that dominance of era, that is all that matters.

When talking about could those old timers be as dominate today then that is a....nope. 

Brown with his size/speed combo could play today, but not close to dominating.

Nobody was ever throwing out any hypotheticals about historical players playing today, just that they were better players with better performance relative to the numbers in their era. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 7:42 PM, Malik said:

This isn't true. It's a myth people bring up based on old sportswriter tales that have very little basis in reality. You can pretty readily easily look up every play from Barry in every season and dispute this. Just looking through his 1997 season where he ran for 2000 yards the only games that had a significant number of rushes net for negative yards were the ones against Buffalo, Atlanta, and Tampa. I wish people would stop with this "O Barry just ran for negative yards on 20 rushes, but then had 5 rushes for 30 yards! that's why his average was so high"

Also also, Emmitt got stopped behind the LOS more often than Barry. That is just talking his time in Dallas, does not include his putrid years in Arizona. 

Barry had more negative yards but Emmitt had more negative carries and was stopped behind the LOS on a higher percentage. 

So, If the knock on Emmitt Smith's prolonged success is that he was the beneficiary of a great OLine, QB, HC, etc, then how come I never hear that same knock about a player like Jerry Rice when the topic of greatest WR comes up?

I mean, he only had who...Joe Montana And Steve Young throwing to him.

On a team that had already won 2 SB's. A stout O line, great defense and Bill Walsh as a HC, running a style of offense that was tailor made for his skill set.

Notice how his numbers turned, what was the term you used...putrid...when he played for Oakland.

But nobody will EVER argue against Rice being the greatest WR even though he was the beneficiary of an already champion system.

At least Emmitt helped create the champion. He didn't walk into a winning situation.in fact, they had only won a single game before he arrived.

Here is one of my favorite stats on QB's, passing yards.

Why is it some of the QBs that were considered to be GOAT played in the West Coast offense, where a QB throws an 8 yard pass and the WR runs for 48 yards and the QB gets credit for 56 yard pass!!!

He three the ball 8 frickin yards!

So much for stats ehh?

3 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

So, If the knock on Emmitt Smith's prolonged success is that he was the beneficiary of a great OLine, QB, HC, etc, then how come I never hear that same knock about a player like Jerry Rice when the topic of greatest WR comes up?

On a team that had already won 2 SB's. A stout O line, great defense and Bill Walsh as a HC, running a style of offense that was tailor made for his skill set.

Notice how his numbers turned, what was the term you used...putrid...when he played for Oakland.

But nobody will EVER argue against Rice being the greatest WR even though he was the beneficiary of an already champion system.

At least Emmitt helped create the champion. He didn't walk into a winning situation.in fact, they had only won a single game before he arrived.

Why is it some of the QBs that were considered to be GOAT played in the West Coast offense, where a QB throws an 8 yard pass and the WR runs for 48 yards and the QB gets credit for 56 yard pass!!!

So much for stats ehh?

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself for saying this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

So much for stats ehh?

Jerry Rice was a pro bowl receiver in Oakland dude.