Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Former Bronco Ronnie Hillman apparently in hospice with liver cancer. That sucks. Prayers to his family. 

https://denverfan.com/2102434/former-broncos-running-back-ronnie-hillman-in-hospice-with-liver-cancer/amp/

Holy crap that’s awful. He was on the Super Bowl team, how does a young athlete end up with liver cancer? Prayers to his family. 

45 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Holy crap that’s awful. He was on the Super Bowl team, how does a young athlete end up with liver cancer? Prayers to his family. 

He has sickle cell trait, and that predisposes him to a form of kidney cancer - renal medullary carcinoma.  And yeah, it's very aggressive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7096200/

When the media says liver cancer, it means it's already spread there.   And he's apparently suffering from pneumonia (again, not that surprising, as patients that sick are often immunosuppressed, even with or without chemotherapy/immunotherapy).

Really sucks all around. 

Edited by Broncofan

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He has sickle cell trait, and that predisposes him to a form of kidney cancer - renal medullary carcinoma.  And yeah, it's very aggressive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7096200/

When the media says liver cancer, it means it's already spread there.   And he's apparently suffering from pneumonia (again, not that surprising, as patients that sick are often immunosuppressed, even with or without chemotherapy/immunotherapy).

Really sucks all around. 

Jeez, man, I remember when he was at San Diego State. He was a monster. It's crazy that he's in hospice. He's a month younger than I am.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just watched my mom die in palliative care last week, and for the sake of Ronnie’s family, I hope he went as peacefully as she did. If you’re the praying type, keep that family in mind right now cause it’s an exhausting process.

My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. If you ever need to talk or anything please let me know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just watched my mom die in palliative care last week, and for the sake of Ronnie’s family, I hope he went as peacefully as she did. If you’re the praying type, keep that family in mind right now cause it’s an exhausting process.

Sorry to hear that Jesse. I’m glad that she went peacefully. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So sorry to hear this Jesse. My deepest Condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:52 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

It was a fluke win but one that might actually save Mac’s job. 

Last week on GMFB they had Scott Pioli on for his regular weekly spot and, SMH, these Patriot guys never cease to amaze me with their ability to circle the wagons for their crew and find excuses to make for their failures. Pioli actually said that Mark Davis needs to be patient and give Mac time to get “his guys” on the roster before he can be fairly judged as a HC.

He said that about a guy who inherited a roster that made the playoffs last year despite having an interim HC and going through almost unprecedented controversy and distractions with the Gruden fiasco and Ruggs’ crime, and added at very worst a top-3 WR.

Not having enough of “his” players is not what has caused Mac’s awful in-game decision-making, the drama he is creating in the locker room/team HQ or his outright inability to adjust and adapt both in-game and week to week. 

This is a fair assessment no? Coaches should be given a couple years to get their vision in place baring losing the locker room. 

The playoffs were a fluke last season. They were -65 in point differential. 4th worst all time to make the playoffs. And they won out with some luck because of covid protocols forcing teams to play backup QBs, etc. 

The Raiders roster, especially on defense he inherited was a mess. Gruden/Mayock whiffed on 12 out of 13 picks in the top 100 and had several bad FA contracts the new regime had to purge resulting in 49 million in dead cap this season.

There are some bright spots on the roster, but the Oline is uniquely poor where they are signing guys off the Broncos PS. And outside Crosby they have nothing on defense to speak of. Injuries also played a factor. Waller/Renfrow/Adams played a total of 45 snaps together prior to last week. Mind you Derek Carr was never a world beater, continues to be a bad red zone QB and is known to get conservative with a lead for through his career. 

I agree on the in-game decision making. But what drama is he creating in the locker room? The most respected beat writers have nothing but positive things to say about him. It's been night/day compared to his arrogance 12 years ago in Denver. Players support him. Just don't see any issue currently. 

I know it's an incredibly odd idea, and fantastical, but with Purdy playing like he is, I doubt the 49ers let him go. Which to me make Lance expendable. Why not trade for Trey since he's still raw, coming off an injury, and he's playing on a rookie contract. If he beats out Russ so be it, then we have an overpriced backup for a few years till it's economical to cut him. And he might accept a buyout to start elsewhere.

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I know it's an incredibly odd idea, and fantastical, but with Purdy playing like he is, I doubt the 49ers let him go. Which to me make Lance expendable. Why not trade for Trey since he's still raw, coming off an injury, and he's playing on a rookie contract. If he beats out Russ so be it, then we have an overpriced backup for a few years till it's economical to cut him. And he might accept a buyout to start elsewhere.

49ers aren't going to deal Lance.    Purdy's a great story, but it shows more how QB-friendly Shanny's system is.   The real test comes when they face decent pass D's.   

Moreover, if this season has taught them anything, contenders stockpile QB's. 

Edited by Broncofan

• 2 weeks later...