Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

51 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Does anyone else subscribe to the Athletic? Brandon Thorn does film articles with a fair few focused on the Broncos (he lives in Denver).

They are absolutely brilliant; worth the subscription fee alone.

I follow him on Twitter and he seems so know a ton. I definitely wanna get a subscription. 

Edited by thebestever6

He may not be the most likeable or cuddly HC/GM around...but BB doesn't mess around.

Michael Bennett gets into a heated argument with a coach - suspended 1 game.   Traded the next week.  And for peanuts.  So it's more about zero tolerance for bad apples than it is about value here.

You can't be an unsentimental a-hole as HC/GM if you don't have BB's track record and get guys to want to play for you.  But he's got the credibility, so he can definitely do what he wants, and OL coach Scarnecchia allows them to spend selectively on OL, so they can replenish the talent pool across the board.  It definitely sets a high bar for zero tolerance on anything but your best each week, and team above player.  

Edited by Broncofan

On 10/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Does anyone else subscribe to the Athletic? Brandon Thorn does film articles with a fair few focused on the Broncos (he lives in Denver).

They are absolutely brilliant; worth the subscription fee alone.

Best wide breadth collection of sports journalism in the world is found at The Athletic. It’s journalism, real, honest to goodness journalism. Some of it is niche, and that’s fine, but in a world of hot-takes and homerism, sycofants and instigators, they are refreshing and brilliant. 

Everyone else, from SI down, is fighting for a distant second place. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He may not be the most likeable or cuddly HC/GM around...but BB doesn't mess around.

Michael Bennett gets into a heated argument with a coach - suspended 1 game.   Traded the next week.  And for peanuts.  So it's more about zero tolerance for bad apples than it is about value here.

You can't be an unsentimental a-hole as HC/GM if you don't have BB's track record and get guys to want to play for you.  But he's got the credibility, so he can definitely do what he wants, and OL coach Scarnecchia allows them to spend selectively on OL, so they can replenish the talent pool across the board.  It definitely sets a high bar for zero tolerance on anything but your best each week, and team above player.  

It’s why his assistants, who lack his gravitas, get jobs in other places and attempt to behave as a BB clone, crash and burn so spectacularly. There is only 1 BB, and there will only ever be 1 BB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s why his assistants, who lack his gravitas, get jobs in other places and attempt to behave as a BB clone, crash and burn so spectacularly. There is only 1 BB, and there will only ever be 1 BB. 

I actually underestimated BB until these last 2 years. I thought he was, to an extent, piggybacking on the shoulders of the greatest QB of all time.

With Brady's play dropping off these last 2 seasons, the Patriots haven't missed a beat and BB has been running the Defense at the same time as being the HC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I actually underestimated BB until these last 2 years. I thought he was, to an extent, piggybacking on the shoulders of the greatest QB of all time.

With Brady's play dropping off these last 2 seasons, the Patriots haven't missed a beat and BB has been running the Defense at the same time as being the HC.

Don't discount OL coach Dante Scarnechhia.   OL play under him is clearly #1 of all time - and the gap between him and Munchak (the #2) is the SAME as the gap between Munchak and the #10 OL coach.   

And the thing is - they only pay a premium for 2 guys max.  The rest are all rookie contract guys (and most of them Day 2+), or reclamation projects.    So they build great trench play at bargain basement costs.  It's why I argue that we can't always spend Rd1 on OL for each position, or go high-priced FA for each guy (but going Rd1 this year is a great move given the LT talent is worth it, and James was a decent value given his play at RT - but then hitting on cheap C/G play is needed - why Risner Rd2 was a godsend, and I really believe we need to move McGovern to G provided he signs a team-friendly deal).    That helps team construction so much, along with the GM abilities BB has in drawing guys to want to come to NE, play for a winner and then get paid on their next contract.    Those 2 aspects are very much a part of the sustainability of BB's success in NE. 

TB12 and BB's D building / gameplanning genius is a huge part, but those 2 other pillars of great OL play at cheap overall cost (Scarnecchia & OL bargain play at top 10 levels - ironically, this is one of the few years that NE isn't good on their OL - only so many injuries you can overcome, with Andrews, Wynn gone for entire season, and Marcus Cannon in/out, and compounded by losing their great FB Develin) and the FA pipeline GM Belichick can bring in, it's the quartet of factors that explains the longevity of that franchise.   It's also why we probably will never see anything similar in the cap era of the NFL afterwards.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Lmao so this gal I shared a few nights with before puts on her dating profile. (Hates me for reasons unknown to me.)

"I Love Weiners" (woof) referring to a small dog.

So I says to her, take that off of your profile you're attracting the wrong attention not thinking she'll listen just messing around. 

It now says "little black dog." Lmfao 

• Like 1