Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

They are definitely spectacular, but how much of that is due to the fact he's such a threat to run on a consistent basis? I would be interested to see how he would play with a known hamstring/quad/calf injury whereby teams will play him like a traditional pocket passer.

Love Lamar. If anyone says he isn't their favourite player in the league to watch, they need to lay off the drugs.

Him or Drew Lock in fantasy this week with that injury? Or Jared Goff 

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think thats a fair statement. What I agree with @germ-x about is the amount of carries he has, 151 so far this year and counting. Those are RB type numbers. That, I do not believe is sustainable.

I think the volume of carries is going to come down year over year.  I don't think you ever try to make this guy a pure pocket passer though.  That's not to say don't work on it, he'll need it when he gets slower, but he doesn't take big hits.  He's incredibly slippery.  Worry more about the way Deshawn Watson plays, to be honest.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I think the volume of carries is going to come down year over year.  I don't think you ever try to make this guy a pure pocket passer though.  That's not to say don't work on it, he'll need it when he gets slower, but he doesn't take big hits.  He's incredibly slippery.  Worry more about the way Deshawn Watson plays, to be honest.

Going back to college, Jackson had an incredible ability to avoid contact and finish plays on his feet. Just hard to get a clean shot on the guy.

And yeah, Watson scares me. He takes no precautions when he scrambles and takes some brutal hits. That end zone dive TD against us was such a stupid play in the context of that blowout. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elliot878 said:

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Going back to college, Jackson had an incredible ability to avoid contact and finish plays on his feet. Just hard to get a clean shot on the guy.

And yeah, Watson scares me. He takes no precautions when he scrambles and takes some brutal hits. That end zone dive TD against us was such a stupid play in the context of that blowout. 

No QB is going to keep running as much as in early years.    But Lamar’s progress as a passer has been really impressive this year.   

But yeah the biggest feather in his cap is his elusiveness in avoiding the big hits.   You see it with RB’s like Kamara.   Can’t get a full hit on the guy.    Watson puts his body in harm’s way a LOT more.  An apt contrast.  

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

No QB is going to keep running as much as in early years.    But Lamar’s progress as a passer has been really impressive this year.   

But yeah the biggest feather in his cap is his elusiveness in avoiding the big hits.   You see it with RB’s like Kamara.   Can’t get a full hit on the guy.    Watson puts his body in harm’s way a LOT more.  An apt contrast.  

He reminds me of Gumby

24 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Nuggets fans - how worried are you regarding this teams inability to shoot the basketball? My wife, for whatever reason, has now decided she's the worlds biggest Nuggets fan and she is doing my head in with her whinging about how poor their shooting is.

Why did she decide that lmaoo???? Your wife is the GOAT

Our offense is kinda broken right now. The team is talented so they are living off making tough shots - but they simply aren't creating enough looks at the rim, open threes, or free throws. Jokic is having the worst shooting stretch of his career so I'm hoping he gets out of that funk. I'd say that shooting is a concern, but it's more of a symptom to the issues the offense is having. Really predictable right now and haven't gotten a counter punch to teams selling out to clog the paint. If Jokic were to find his shot again I think that would be a way the offense would open up and create open threes. But we struggle a bit because Jamal Murray can't get by guys (dribble penetration is a great way to create corner threes), and Gary Harris is struggling to get to the rim. 

So yeah pretty much the offense is a mess but I believe in the talent. Crazy that a Denver Nuggets team is an elite defensive team 

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Why did she decide that lmaoo???? Your wife is the GOAT

Our offense is kinda broken right now. The team is talented so they are living off making tough shots - but they simply aren't creating enough looks at the rim, open threes, or free throws. Jokic is having the worst shooting stretch of his career so I'm hoping he gets out of that funk. I'd say that shooting is a concern, but it's more of a symptom to the issues the offense is having. Really predictable right now and haven't gotten a counter punch to teams selling out to clog the paint. If Jokic were to find his shot again I think that would be a way the offense would open up and create open threes. But we struggle a bit because Jamal Murray can't get by guys (dribble penetration is a great way to create corner threes), and Gary Harris is struggling to get to the rim. 

So yeah pretty much the offense is a mess but I believe in the talent. Crazy that a Denver Nuggets team is an elite defensive team 

Well I've tried relentlessly to get her into the NFL (so I can watch it from 6pm - midnight without getting any grief), but she just wouldn't relent. She then saw me watching Nuggets on youtube via one of those accounts that shows every successful field goal, and she decided that is something she likes. We now watch every game on MLG highlights every morning after the game (this East Coast road trip is killing me). We actually got the Nets game live in the UK on Sunday evening; that was also awful.

I read an article on the Athletic about Murray's inability to drive to the rim to create easy buckets for others. Is that a lack of athleticism, bravery or is he simply not very natural around the rim?

We don't get to see a lot of the Defense in the highlights so it's hard for us to take a liking to Gary Harris, but everything we read says how good he is defensively.

10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well I've tried relentlessly to get her into the NFL (so I can watch it from 6pm - midnight without getting any grief), but she just wouldn't relent. She then saw me watching Nuggets on youtube via one of those accounts that shows every successful field goal, and she decided that is something she likes. We now watch every game on MLG highlights every morning after the game (this East Coast road trip is killing me). We actually got the Nets game live in the UK on Sunday evening; that was also awful.

I read an article on the Athletic about Murray's inability to drive to the rim to create easy buckets for others. Is that a lack of athleticism, bravery or is he simply not very natural around the rim?

We don't get to see a lot of the Defense in the highlights so it's hard for us to take a liking to Gary Harris, but everything we read says how good he is defensively.

lmao i'm smiling so hard right now bro. my gf is also cool with basketball but hates watching football.

Murray's just slow....doesn't have the quick first step to get by guys. So he's very reliant on shot making (and often difficult shots) which is why he has been inconsistent up to this season. It's hard to rely on that - but he's a high level shot maker that has carried him. But in general he struggles in ISO scoring so that's frustrating. This season has been a nice step forward for him from a consistency and playmaking standpoint, but he still needs to get to the rim, draw more free throws, and shoot more threes to get to the all-star level. His finishing around the rim is fantastic he just doesn't create enough looks there. Will Barton is the best penetration guard on the team. 

Gary was SO good offensively in 17-18. He's really struggled since getting significant core injuries last season. If G was back to his best the offense would be much better, but he is taking so many floaters (an inherently low % shot unless you are elite) and his shot has been inconsistent. He's been great defensively, but he'll always have the issue of being 6'4 on that end. Players w/ size can shoot over him. But yeah I'm really hopeful Gary can turn a corner offensively because it's been bad so far.

Once Jokic gets back to his standard self we should be fine offensively, but it's been a very surprising start. NBA season is long though - you gotta go through the adversity etc