Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

20 minutes ago, champ11 said:

They key is that you need a QB that can play in the pocket first and run as a second option. Like Russ, healthy Cam, Aaron Rodgers. Lamar has already shown he can be that. He's not a fad.

RG3 showed it to! He just had a terrible organization that promoted him playing dumb. And he made mistakes. It needs to be an organizational attempt to protect these guys and play the right way. 

The future of the QB position is being able to move as well. Playing out of the pocket first. But you need to adjust to the OL play that plagues the NFL. 

I don't disagree with either bolded statement, well, maybe the 2nd. You make it sound like a mobile QB is new and thats not even close to true. It was a great asset 50 years ago and remains one. Fran Tarkenton comes to mind. 

I disagree that Lamar has proven he can win from the pocket. I've seen him twice now and if he can do it I haven't seen it. 

Seriously, I hope he does well, but keep in mind a great part of the Ravens offense depends on Lamar running the ball. 323 carries in his first two years as opposed to 571 passe thrown. Thats a pretty absurd number for an NFL QB and no, the league won't change and that will never be the norm.

So who are you going for in two weeks? 

I’ve never hated the Chiefs the way I have Raiders, Pats, Chargers and Seahawks and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a HUGE fan of Patrick Maholmes and don’t have tons and tons of respect for Andy Reid. 

That said, my heart has to be with Kyle, John Lynch and the Niners. 

Its early and my prediction may change but I’ll say we get an instant classic. 

SF: 27

KC: 23

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So who are you going for in two weeks? 

I’ve never hated the Chiefs the way I have Raiders, Pats, Chargers and Seahawks and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a HUGE fan of Patrick Maholmes and don’t have tons and tons of respect for Andy Reid. 

That said, my heart has to be with Kyle, John Lynch and the Niners. 

Its early and my prediction may change but I’ll say we get an instant classic. 

SF: 27

KC: 23

Seems like lately the defense has been the deciding factor in super bowls.  That said KC isn’t afraid of getting down.  I agree with the instant classic I’m thinking your final score is pretty close 

Usually great D beats great O when you give teams 2 weeks.   This will test that as SF has 2 weaknesses that are exploitable:

1. RCB def the weak spot in their zone scheme.    O’s have been going after that guy (Moseley or Witherspoon) since 2H of season.    

2.  Their secondary has the most trouble against elite speed / quick twitch WR’s.    Hill & Hardman pose real problems.  

Now SF have 3 great neutralizers - they have 3 elite pass rushers in combo when they rush 4 (Armstead inside is lethal with Bosa / Ford outside).   Secondly, ILB Alexander & S Tartt (plus Ford) returning has got the D back to near generational elite levels of pass coverage everywhere but RCB.   Instead of 3 holes the D can cover for 1 - huge reason why they struggled in late Nov / December.     And of course their run game and Shanny’s creativity in exploiting the right pass game matchup keeps their D fresh.  

Besides facing Mahomes and the speed profile their WR corps has, the other SF weakness is JimmyG.   He’s played well at key moments (@NO the big signature moment), but he’s also struggled and had the D / run game cover for him.   You can see he’s still adjusting to post-ACL recovery.   He throws flat footed a lot and his big TO’s are often feeling heat early or getting the ball out late / short as result of the 2 issues.  They’ve not needed him either playoff game - but  vs. MIN, his TO kept Min in the game longer than they deserved to, and Shanny went super conservative in 2H to avoid a repeat.  He will have to be better if KC sells out to stop the run like they did with TEN.   And Shanny can’t be as conservative vs. KC, because as great as SF D is, counting on holding KC to less than 21-24 pts is unrealistic IMO.  

I think the over hits so I’ll go 31-27 type game.   I’d lean SF for sure.  And yeah I think it’s going to be a classic.  I’m glad SF made it - they had the only D that could keep up with KC’s O out of the final 4 NFC teams, and have a real shot to win.   Sea / GB / Min would have been a massacre.   

Edited by Broncofan

18 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

IMO should never root for a division rival to win a SB.

Chiefs are exciting right now. I am not rooting for them, by any means, but I do want to see a great game and I don't really care who wins (so I am not actively rooting against them). I realize this way of thinking will be in the past soon, as Mahomes will be there for a while and I will absolutely loathe them for years to come.

20 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I’m rooting for the 49ers obviously. I hope Emmanuel Sanders gets his ring. He deserves it.

This will be his third trip to the Super Bowl. Besides the one he was in with Denver four years ago, he was on the 2010 Steeler team that made the Super Bowl.

The last time the best attack met the best defense? Denver / Seattle.
If we respect the saying "attack wins games defense titles" then SF wins.
Now we have seen KC twice coming back from the start of catastophic matches.

They shouldn't think it can happen all the time. I remain impressed by this defensive squad of SF.

But if they want to win (SF) I would advise them to score at least 30 points

9 hours ago, French Fan said:

The last time the best attack met the best defense? Denver / Seattle.
If we respect the saying "attack wins games defense titles" then SF wins.
Now we have seen KC twice coming back from the start of catastophic matches.

They shouldn't think it can happen all the time. I remain impressed by this defensive squad of SF.

But if they want to win (SF) I would advise them to score at least 30 points

Well, SF covers the cliches pretty well. "Defense wins championships", "run the ball, stop the run".

Postseason, top ranked D, best rushing attack, best rushing D. Have to wait a bit to find out if the cliches win.

Mahomes is an outlier to the classic formula. Even consistent pressure isn't enough, you have to sack him. This isn't like Brady or Manning who absolutely need a secure pocket from within which they can do whatever they want, the guy can make any throw off any platform and no team can cover all those fast guys for that long. And they're always ready to extend routes for him. I personally don't think SF has the horses on defense beyond the front four to contain Mahomes when he gets going. I'm equally confident that Kyle Shanahan will run circles around Steve Spagnuolo and be able to scheme up enough big chunk plays to keep SF's offense clicking. 

I guess my early thought is I love the over in this one.