Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

As a Lakers fan, I can’t imagine a sadder day. It’s a blessing that Magic is still with us after all these years, but this registers as the most shocking death in a long time for me. What a tragedy.

Almost eerie that the day Kobe passes, LeBron surpasses him as the 3rd all-time in scoring as a Laker even. R.I.P. Kobe, long live your legacy !!

Kobe Bryant’s almost incomparable work ethic and competitiveness made me a fan.  I don’t follow the NBA closely and really never have, but the stories about his work ethic/drive that I’ve read are ones I’ve shared in conversations with students at the school I work at.  Special person who will be missed.

With that, as a new parent to a 1 1/2 year old, the truly devastating part of this accident for me was the loss of  kids. Can’t imagine the devastation of that and what those families are and will be going through.  

Edited by germ-x

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

What strikes me is how much this has affected the young stars.    Kobe was really the idol for a lot of today’s stars. 

He's every hooper's favorite hooper man. Something about Kobe. Most beloved athlete of my generation. Crazy crazy loss 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve  long maintained there have been 4 “transcendent” athletes - those who were bigger than not only their sport but of the world of sports in general - Babe, Ali, Jordan, Tiger - upon retrospect, I think Kobe belongs on that list. And that, truly, is his greatest accomplishment. 

Those names, with the inclusion of Kobe, are perhaps the only American sport names that people in my country know regardless of their interest in the sport.

Kobe probably did more for basketball in Europe than any other player in NBA history. He was the first real star of the internet era, when American sports really became available to watch on a frequent basis. Not to mention the fact he spoke fluent Italian and was a big advocate for European basketball.

I am devastated for his family and friends, and the family and friends of the others involved in this absolute tragedy. 

It's a sad thing to say, but things like this really do put into perspective how much it matters that your team(s) win. It really is 'only a game'. Ironically, I don't think Kobe would agree with that ...

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’ve  long maintained there have been 4 “transcendent” athletes - those who were bigger than not only their sport but of the world of sports in general - Babe, Ali, Jordan, Tiger - upon retrospect, I think Kobe belongs on that list. And that, truly, is his greatest accomplishment. 

Well said. 

19 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Those names, with the inclusion of Kobe, are perhaps the only American sport names that people in my country know regardless of their interest in the sport.

Kobe probably did more for basketball in Europe than any other player in NBA history. He was the first real star of the internet era, when American sports really became available to watch on a frequent basis. Not to mention the fact he spoke fluent Italian and was a big advocate for European basketball.

I am devastated for his family and friends, and the family and friends of the others involved in this absolute tragedy. 

It's a sad thing to say, but things like this really do put into perspective how much it matters that your team(s) win. It really is 'only a game'. Ironically, I don't think Kobe would agree with that ...

Beautifully said. 

Sport is a unifying force in culture and now globally unifying one. We should use sports to unify and not divide. Cross culturally, use the enjoyment of the game to show all humans we can, no matter what differences, enjoy and appreciate athletic accomplishment.

• Like 2

The celebrity brand building, nothing to do with sports, political BS and mass audience appealing aspects that constitute the Super Bowl pregame garbage is one of the biggest annoyances in sports. It’s like the NBA regular season but condensed down into a single afternoon with a few scoops blatant, shameful hype from whichever one of dying broadcast networks get the rights to the game this year. 

I say put the Super Bowl on pay per view. No pregame, no commercials, no 45-minute halftime, just make it about football. 

/rant

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The celebrity brand building, nothing to do with sports, political BS and mass audience appealing aspects that constitute the Super Bowl pregame garbage is one of the biggest annoyances in sports. It’s like the NBA regular season but condensed down into a single afternoon with a few scoops blatant, shameful hype from whichever one of dying broadcast networks get the rights to the game this year. 

I say put the Super Bowl on pay per view. No pregame, no commercials, no 45-minute halftime, just make it about football. 

/rant

Agreed.  They throw in all the other crap to get non football fans interested.  I’m at a party now (that I’d rather not be at) but probably half the room of 30 don’t watch on Sunday’s and are excited as hell to see the commercials and place bets on the length of the National Anthem and what not.

• Like 1

I'm getting a little irritated watching the Nuggets continue to lose to sub-500 teams. 7 of their 16 losses this year have been to teams with a losing record. I'm sorry, but when you can march into Milwaukee and beat the Bucks at home, there's no excuse to lose to the likes of the Pistons and Cavaliers. Also, I heard something about a Superbowl today.