Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Also just a side note: anyone else think Emanuel Sanders gave up on that deep route a little early? Yeah the ball was overthrown, and he prob wasn’t gonna get to it anyway. But you’re talking about the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. I think if I’m Kyle Shanahan, I’ve got a little bit of a problem with that. 

Edited by 1234567
Stupid autocorrect

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I was really surprised when SF started lining up in the shotgun every play when they still had a lead. Thats just not their game. 

I don't think they had the personnel to run the clock out just running the ball every play, but you don't have to. You need to sell the threat of the run though. That 1at play in particular is a great opportunity for play action out of their base set. 

Was not expecting that at all.  Mahomes is the best player in the game, but with how bad that OL had been, Mahomes holding the ball too long, SFs superior all around talent, and SFs overall control of that game, would’ve never expected KC to score 21 points in 6 minutes.  

I’ll also be honest.  I can’t stand Kyle Shanahan.  Was thrilled to see him lose especially because I wasn’t expecting it....actually lost money as I picked SF in this one because they were the more talented team....even losing money I’m still happy.

Edited by germ-x

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't think they had the personnel to run the clock out just running the ball every play, but you don't have to. You need to sell the threat of the run though. That 1at play in particular is a great opportunity for play action out of their base set. 

Thats a good assessment. Even though KC was loading the box you shouldn't let that dictate your formation. There are great pass plays and play action from an I. 

When they went 3 and out in the 4th, with a lead, and ran every play from the shotgun I knew what was coming. They never ran another play from under center. 

Ended up being quite a game though. 

As you mentioned, keeping Mahomes contained for 4 quarters just wasn't going to happen.

21 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Thats a good assessment. Even though KC was loading the box you shouldn't let that dictate your formation. There are great pass plays and play action from an I. 

When they went 3 and out in the 4th, with a lead, and ran every play from the shotgun I knew what was coming. They never ran another play from under center. 

Ended up being quite a game though. 

As you mentioned, keeping Mahomes contained for 4 quarters just wasn't going to happen.

Its pretty strange to me that Kyle can call such outstanding games where everything flows together and make sense, then in the fourth quarter becomes totally predictable. It should not be hard to get a couple first downs on a drive where KC absolutely cannot be beat by the run. Great opportunities to get receivers in space behind the linebackers. Just run your offense. 

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Also, you’re comfortable enough to let your QB close the game but afraid to give him a chance to close the first half? That was so ridiculous. You don’t turn down scoring opportunities when you play that team. 

That was a shocker. I still don't get that. Where's the logic?

I started shaking my head when they let KC run the clock down before they punted. 45 seconds off the clock when you've got all your time outs and under two minutes to play. Beats the hell out of me.

Pretty obvious Kyle isn't dad. He's getting his name in the SB record books for all the wrong reasons.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Its pretty strange to me that Kyle can call such outstanding games where everything flows together and make sense, then in the fourth quarter becomes totally predictable. It should not be hard to get a couple first downs on a drive where KC absolutely cannot be beat by the run. Great opportunities to get receivers in space behind the linebackers. Just run your offense. 

because he wants to control the clock but the play calling is bad very very bad. 

Wanting to absolutely keep Mahomes off the field he forgets to play his game.

When you can score in 4 or 5 actions, do it. The goal is to score the most points to win not manage a clock.

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Also just a side note: anyone else think Emanuel Sanders gave up on that deep route a little early? Yeah the ball was overthrown, and he prob wasn’t gonna get to it anyway. But you’re talking about the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. I think if I’m Kyle Shanahan, I’ve got a little bit of a problem with that. 

I especially think that Sanders has lost speed. He was always dangerous in the slot by his agility. In pure speed his age catches up with him. If in addition we take into account that we are at the end of the match, I think that he no longer had the necessary juice to make this route

It's getting lost in the reeds because SF was losing by more than 3 - but that 1H decision really did affect the end of the game.    Defending with a 6 pt lead vs. a 3 pt lead on the comeback drive, and of course, only needing 1 vs. 4.     The thing is, if you believed in JimmyG the whole season, and wanted to go toe-to-toe with an even more potent KC O than in 2016....how can you decide to sit on the ball with 2 minutes left and 2 TO's (1 would have been spent to kill the clock).   Even GM Lynch knew that was the way to beat the Chiefs, he was calling for the TO from the box.

Kyle's an amazing game designer, and such an innovative play caller.   But after being accused of going for the throat too much at the end of 28-3...here, he didn't even try to take the shot.   You don't leave bullets in the chamber if you're in a shootout with KC, and he clearly did.    

I didn't know if any fanbase would ever feel what we felt after the 2013 Divisional game with BAL, when Fox told Peyton to sit on the ball with just under 40 secs left and 2 TO's.    Being the 1H, ppl will say it's not the same - I'd beg to differ.   Who knows if SF gets down and scores...but the thing is, they'll never know, and they certainly would have liked another shot to get more points at the end.    It's OK to make that mistake 1x on the big stage....2x, man, I dunno.  Kyle Shanahan is going to have to look long and hard at his in-game management as the one area that needs more tweaking.   Frankly, one would have thought his NFCG calling that let GB get close would have reminded him.   

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing HC overall.  But it's telling that Andy Reid, long blasted for conservative in-game calling and terrible clock management, had 10x the aggression Kyle did.   One can say it was because KC was trailing, but Reid's aggression was also there in the 1H.    Sometimes the most important decisions that coaches can influence don't happen late, but early.   

Edited by Broncofan

9 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

I’m pretty sure collectively we all knew not being aggressive to the end the half would be a huge mistake. Even common fans (at the party) were saying that. It baffles me that Kyle couldn’t see that after witnessing the Chiefs come back multiple times this post season.

Couldn't close the deal like his dad could...up 10 with 6 minutes in the game....MIKE would not have given the ball back.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this girl I got a crush on I sent edible arrangements to. The day of Valentine's day she asks if I had a date or any plans. I say no I'm losing my abilities lol I asked her and she said she was going right to bed and frowned.

When she got the edible arrangements she said it was weird but cute. She didn't look at me today or talk to me can I salvage this?