Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I love the debate of who was better, MJ or Lebron.  For what it's worth, MJ might have been the best athlete I ever saw; I was obsessed with him when I was a kid.  However, the best basketball player...shouldn't Kareem enter that convo? 

Or Wilt?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Best BBALL player is a weird one. I mean In his prime who was stopping Shaq?

MJ is still the Goat to me, but there’s so many different qualifications in the NBA as to what makes the best/most dominant player 

Yeah I mean one thing that never comes up, is MJ still the goat if Scottie pippin wasn’t the most criminally underpaid player in NBA history? So much of the triangle ran through Scottie taking defenders away from MJ. 

Wilt and Russel were the team. Kind of like Lebron early in his career (the only difference is they won titles)

38 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

MJ is still the Goat to me, but there’s so many different qualifications in the NBA as to what makes the best/most dominant player 

If Shaq had the drive of a guy like MJ or Kobe he would probably go down as the most dominant player in history.  I believe Phil Jackson is even quoted as saying if Shaq brought it every game he’d have won 10 straight MVPs.

53 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

This is true. Who is the all time leader in steals and assists? John Stockton.

Edited by jsthomp2007

34 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah I mean one thing that never comes up, is MJ still the goat if Scottie pippin wasn’t the most criminally underpaid player in NBA history? So much of the triangle ran through Scottie taking defenders away from MJ. 

Wilt and Russel were the team. Kind of like Lebron early in his career (the only difference is they won titles)

If anyone out there is a fan of low post play you should really watch the Lakers / Celtics and Sixers/Celtics matchups of the late 50's and 60's.

The Russell/Chamberlain duels were epic.

Russell was the team? Never heard that before. How many Hall of Famers did he play with?

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Wilt and Russell to the guys of the past 40 or so years. The level of athletes they played against just isn’t anywhere close. Wilt was an elite enough athlete to be great in any era, but his stats were really inflated by competition, # of possessions and poor shooting inflating rebounding opportunities. 

MJ, LeBron and Shaq are the most dominant guys I’ve ever seen. Bird and Magic up there in how many ways they impacted the game. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

You really need two Hall of Fame caliber guys to win championships in the NBA, sometimes three. The only exceptions I can think of in my lifetime came with the 2003 Spurs and 2004 Pistons in a pretty talent-diluted era of unwatchable basketball. And those Pistons had five really good starters.

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

You really need two Hall of Fame caliber guys to win championships in the NBA, sometimes three. The only exceptions I can think of in my lifetime came with the 2003 Spurs and 2004 Pistons in a pretty talent-diluted era of unwatchable basketball. And those Pistons had five really good starters.

yeah, pistons i think end up getting underrated since they didn't have one clear superstar but that team was pretty special. but they are the exception as well as the 2019 Raptors - but obviously they got some injury luck in the finals. was 03 spurs just Duncan? man the talent in the NBA has gotten up to insane levels. 

really hope the Nuggets stumble into that second special player. i think jokic can be one of the all time greats. like top 20 or so player of all time 

25 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Russell was the team? Never heard that before. How many Hall of Famers did he play with?

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Wilt and Russell to the guys of the past 40 or so years. The level of athletes they played against just isn’t anywhere close. Wilt was an elite enough athlete to be great in any era, but his stats were really inflated by competition, # of possessions and poor shooting inflating rebounding opportunities. 

MJ, LeBron and Shaq are the most dominant guys I’ve ever seen. Bird and Magic up there in how many ways they impacted the game. 

I don't think anyone said that. The Celtics were loaded.

I said if you want to watch a low post duel the Russell / Chamberlain head to heads were epic.

Just now, champ11 said:

yeah, pistons i think end up getting underrated since they didn't have one clear superstar but that team was pretty special. but they are the exception as well as the 2019 Raptors - but obviously they got some injury luck in the finals. was 03 spurs just Duncan? man the talent in the NBA has gotten up to insane levels. 

really hope the Nuggets stumble into that second special player. i think jokic can be one of the all time greats. like top 20 or so player of all time 

2019 Raptors might be a good call. If Siakam becomes a long term star, we’ll look at that playoff run as his ascent. Even if he never reaches that level, man that team was 8-9 players deep and everyone was a shooting threat. The 2003 Spurs are easily the best example of this. It was Duncan being unbelievable and Popovich just getting the most out of some really limited role players. Of course the East teams in the Finals those years were kind of a joke.

From the second Bulls run through the mid 2000s, the NBA really has a severe talent drought. Every team was playing a few stiffs. The 2003 draft was kind of the first step out of that era, and by the time you got to all those great OKC picks, the league was really back.

Jokic is special. Feels like Porter‘s development is what the Nuggets’ future hinges on. I thought they should have cashed in Porter + some other assets from that deep roster to trade for Beal, but now that Porter’s proven his potential, they’re in a good spot.