Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Most impressive part - Thomas wife’s ability to track through Snapchat.  At 3-4 AM lol.  

How about the wife rallying together a group of knife-wielding women in the middle of the night? Like a low rent Deadly Viper Assassination Squad from Kill Bill. 

Mike Tyson is the scariest 53 year old on earth. If only he'd had that kind of fire and dedication throughout his entire career.. Not sure who they're gonna get to step in the ring with him for charity, but it's gonna have to be at least a semi-pro fighter. Anyone less than that, you're running the risk of serious injury. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Mike Tyson is the scariest 53 year old on earth. If only he'd had that kind of fire and dedication throughout his entire career.. Not sure who they're gonna get to step in the ring with him for charity, but it's gonna have to be at least a semi-pro fighter. Anyone less than that, you're running the risk of serious injury. 

For sure.  He was like a coiled spring.  His punches were so devastating and he could do it without any sort of extension.  I like the UFC,  but not one of those guys would stand a chance against a respectable boxer.  UFC guys step in the ring and it’s a fist fight (which is more exciting) not a skilled attack.  

17 hours ago, germ-x said:

For sure.  He was like a coiled spring.  His punches were so devastating and he could do it without any sort of extension.  I like the UFC,  but not one of those guys would stand a chance against a respectable boxer.  UFC guys step in the ring and it’s a fist fight (which is more exciting) not a skilled attack.  

They’re different skill sets. Place any boxer in an octagon and it’s the same thing, they wouldn’t stand a chance. 

I like to watch both, and used to favor boxing but after mayweather landed that cheap shot on Canelo after the bell and boxing just kind of looked the other way I swore I’d never give them any more of my money. (Though the GGG canelo fights have been tempting) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

They’re different skill sets. Place any boxer in an octagon and it’s the same thing, they wouldn’t stand a chance. 

I like to watch both, and used to favor boxing but after mayweather landed that cheap shot on Canelo after the bell and boxing just kind of looked the other way I swore I’d never give them any more of my money. (Though the GGG canelo fights have been tempting) 

Definitely.  But the UFC is slowly turning into 2 guys standing in the octagon throwing punches until there is a KO/TKO.  The ground game and technicality of the sport has lost its draw.

Which makes total sense as it’s far more exciting for most fans to watch than a ground and pound type of fight.  The big money is in throwing punches and getting knockouts.

In that sense none of them come close to a respectable boxer, as we saw when McGregor fought Mayweather.  

Now don’t get me wrong, I like UFC far more than I ever did boxing.  But these standing only slugfests trying to see who has the stronger chin, while exciting, is also getting old as it doesn’t take into account the full spectrum of mixed martial arts.

I’d much rather watch GGG and Canelo who are two experts at their craft than some of these UFC fights with guys just standing toe to toe going after each other street fight style.  In all honesty I’ve seen a couple drunken street fights in college that were better than this....only difference is it didn’t go on for 20-25 minutes because they didn’t have the stamina.  I find that to be the most impressive part is these guys are in good enough shape to do that at a hectic pace for 4-5 rounds.

Edited by germ-x

In that sense none of them come close to a respectable boxer, as we saw when McGregor fought Mayweather.  

In the first few rounds, I was really surprised how well Conner did against Mayweather. I knew he would tire himself out and eventually lose, but I was initially expecting a complete route. That fight, to me, was actually worth the On Demand price (Granted there were like 12 of us splitting it, hammered, and I watched it in Hawaii before a wedding. On second thought it could have been a 12 second KO and I would have thought it worth the price considering the other factors lol)

CTE is going to get brought up here.  Latimer’s history does leave this open with concussions in 2014, 2016 & 2019.  

If it isn’t CTE related then life away from football shouldn’t be as hard as it is for ex-players.   Shows the down side to living a different life where the pedestal / athlete life shields them - adjustment problems are just too commonplace to dismiss as unrelated.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/young-broncos-hope-virtual-work-effectively-replaces-missing-time-on-field

'"You miss the huddle calls and you miss being able to hear (quarterback) Drew (Lock) call out a play in the huddle and us breaking the huddle and lining up," Sutton said, via the Denver Post. "That's something that is so underrated."'

This part of the article got me thinking that one really cool thing Drew Lock could do to help out his offense is to audio record himself reading out different play calls and distribute it out. Could take preparation away from each other up one notch so they can get used to hearing things and recognizing where to line up and route to run, etc. Anyone know how to get this out to Lock? :P