Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Yeah the crazy part was Beathard's assistant Charlie Casserly was one of the 4-5 members of the selection committee and openly lobbied for Beathard.  Admitted it proudly.  

As @iLikeDefense mentioned you'd think if Bowlen was recognized as deserving they'd have addressed this now given his health.   In the end he will get in but to have 2 guys who clearly didn't do as much as Bowlen did for so long....oh well.  Just sucks for him and his family if this is a posthumous award with less deserving candidates getting the nod before.  If a guy like George Young got the nod instead I could see that - but Beathard, when his assistant GM was on the committee lobbying hard for him over guys like Bowlen & Young?  Ugh.    

LOL @ the Leaf callout though.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

Yeah that's a load of BS. 

Besides if you draft Ryan Leaf that should pretty much disqualify you from the HOF. 

Not only did he draft Leaf, he also told Charger HC Mike Riley that Tom Brady wasn't even good enough to draft in the sixth round as a developmental QB:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tom-brady-was-always-the-big-one-who-got-away/article_264e276b-b84f-5b38-bcbb-e77f60f40fb4.html

On 8/23/2017 at 11:41 AM, champ11 said:

Casual fans overrate Kyrie, when in reality IT was just as good if not better than him last season.

I think it makes sense for both sides, but Cleveland getting this deal is a huge win. Definitely the best they could have done. It's kind of a head scratcher for Boston to finally give up a BKN pick when they wouldn't do it for Jimmy Butler, but I understand getting Kyrie. They just have so many damn assets due to that damn Russian billionaire 

It's a great trade for both sides.  The Celtics get younger, better, and cheaper with Kyrie under team control for a few more years.  The thing about Kyrie is, his upside is still tremendous if given the lead role.  A lot of people argue that Kyrie isn't a top 5-10 player in the league, but thinks he is.  The reality is, on talent, Kyrie probably is a top 5-10 player in the league, it could just never be put on full display sharing with LeBron.  No one thought Harden was a top 5 player in the league when he was in OKC, sure enough when he got freed up, he instantly was.

The potential problem with Kyrie is that he was an inefficient player even playing with LeBron, who obsesses over efficiency.  The worry should be that a "freed" Kyrie becomes much more inefficient.

On Clevelands side you get a scorer to match Kyrie's, a much needed front court presence in Crowder, and that Brooklyn pick.  Crowder means so much more to the Cavs than he did to the C's, where he was their 8th man.  Cavs will need that pick with LeBron heading out too lol.

I guess we'll see if the trade even goes through.  Sounds like Cleveland is trying to get more picks (Lakers pick?) because of IT4's bad hip.

3 hours ago, elliot878 said:

It's a great trade for both sides.  The Celtics get younger, better, and cheaper with Kyrie under team control for a few more years.  The thing about Kyrie is, his upside is still tremendous if given the lead role.  A lot of people argue that Kyrie isn't a top 5-10 player in the league, but thinks he is.  The reality is, on talent, Kyrie probably is a top 5-10 player in the league, it could just never be put on full display sharing with LeBron.  No one thought Harden was a top 5 player in the league when he was in OKC, sure enough when he got freed up, he instantly was.

The potential problem with Kyrie is that he was an inefficient player even playing with LeBron, who obsesses over efficiency.  The worry should be that a "freed" Kyrie becomes much more inefficient.

On Clevelands side you get a scorer to match Kyrie's, a much needed front court presence in Crowder, and that Brooklyn pick.  Crowder means so much more to the Cavs than he did to the C's, where he was their 8th man.  Cavs will need that pick with LeBron heading out too lol.

I guess we'll see if the trade even goes through.  Sounds like Cleveland is trying to get more picks (Lakers pick?) because of IT4's bad hip.

Kyrie is a one dimensional offensive player. He has a lot to prove from a distribution standpoint to be on Harden's level. He may make that step without LeBron. Kyrie is prob the best one on one player in the league, but he needs to show that he can create buckets for other. And obviously he is horrible defensively. So yeah to me he has a lot to show before being in the conversation of being a top 10 player. 

9 hours ago, elliot878 said:

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Kyrie is a one dimensional offensive player. He has a lot to prove from a distribution standpoint to be on Harden's level. He may make that step without LeBron. Kyrie is prob the best one on one player in the league, but he needs to show that he can create buckets for other. And obviously he is horrible defensively. So yeah to me he has a lot to show before being in the conversation of being a top 10 player. 

I agree with champ, no way in hell kyrie is a top 5-10 player. I get what you're trying to say but even when Lebron was off the court, he just didn't create. 

LBJ, KD, Kawhi, Steph, Harden, Brodie, AD, Greek Freak, PG13, Butler, CP3, Boogie, etc.. I put Kyrie in top 25. Dude is a killer one on one like Dame but offers nothing else.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, champ11 said:

How'd you feel about Harden's distributing skills prior to D'Antoni showing up in Houston, who inflates every guards assist levels via his system (unless he's coaching in NY lol).

1 minute ago, elliot878 said:

How'd you feel about Harden's distributing skills prior to D'Antoni showing up in Houston, who inflates every guards assist levels via his system (unless he's coaching in NY lol).

I always thought Harden was the best distributor on that OKC team, and I think a lot of fans felt the same way. I recall a lot of conversations about how Harden should have run point on that team.

On 8/27/2017 at 1:56 AM, iLikeDefense said:

I agree with champ, no way in hell kyrie is a top 5-10 player. I get what you're trying to say but even when Lebron was off the court, he just didn't create. 

LBJ, KD, Kawhi, Steph, Harden, Brodie, AD, Greek Freak, PG13, Butler, CP3, Boogie, etc.. I put Kyrie in top 25. Dude is a killer one on one like Dame but offers nothing else.

The upside is there to be a top 10 player, that's what the C's want.  Isaiah's potential is maxed out, it's a very smart sell high for the Celtics, although it hurts to give the pick up.  PG's develop slow in the NBA, Kyrie's got a lot left to fulfill if he's interested in becoming more well rounded.  We'll find out in a year or two if the deal even gets done.

14 hours ago, elliot878 said:

Harden's IQ has always been high. With Kyrie it's not about skills, it's about decision making. He has a shocking commitment to playing 1v1 basketball. Not saying he can't change, but he has a lot to show. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, elliot878 said:

The upside is there to be a top 10 player, that's what the C's want.  Isaiah's potential is maxed out, it's a very smart sell high for the Celtics, although it hurts to give the pick up.  PG's develop slow in the NBA, Kyrie's got a lot left to fulfill if he's interested in becoming more well rounded.  We'll find out in a year or two if the deal even gets done.

I understand he has the upside to be in the top 10 given his age and some top 10 players will begin to decline. You stated you thought he was a top 5-10 player doe. Anyways, we'll see how he does in Boston if this trade stands. Don't get me wrong, I like Kyrie and think he can be a difference maker paired with a creator. I just haven't seen enough of him to say he can score while distributing the ball. I wish the Nuggets had jumped on Kyrie, he'd be the player we would need for closing games.