Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

24 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The concerns on his shoulder were broadcast to fans and not so much NFL teams.  Any team that brought him into the building for a pre-draft visit likely put him through a medical check (or at least could have if they wanted) Maybe some didn’t sign off on the shoulder, but it wasn’t like they were relying on one opinion, any team that brought him in could have their doctors take a look and likely did.

The hidden part with Foster was his background.  I’ll have to try and dig it up, but supposedly he had serious character issues dating back to HS and that occurred at Alabama, but were covered up.

Foster likely will get off these charges and get slapped with a small suspension from the NFL.  Maybe he cleans up his act after (like Ray Lewis) and turns into the elite player he is.  Or maybe he doesn’t and is Aldon Smith.  Still can’t fault Elway for passing that up, even though I was banging the table to take Foster at #20.

If Foster gets to keep playing and goes into the Ray Lewis arc (or even let's say the Navarro Bowman arc), it's going to cement the stereotype that you have to be a little off to be a great inside linebacker.   It's unfortunate, because from a playing perspective, you can't deny he had an elite year...and as a rookie.    But it's hard to dismiss the DV incident - the weed issue, I actually could care less.   It's a dumb policy, but players need to follow it while it's under the CBA.   

If the hidden stories angle is true - then that's a major problem in evaluating 'Bama players.   Because that also means Nick Saban did a masterful job to keep it under wraps - but also did nothing to make Foster accountable.  No penalties, made him a 2-year captain IIRC   I love to take shots on guys with off-the-field flags, because it often creates a HUGE opp to find draft value.     But I also view it differently if a player keeps repeating bad behavior, when accountability is present - that's a huge flag to stay away (see: Antonio Calloway).    If the institution just covers it up completely though, then there's no way of seeing if the issue is a fluke one-off, or a pattern.     

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

If Foster gets to keep playing and goes into the Ray Lewis arc (or even let's say the Navarro Bowman arc), it's going to cement the stereotype that you have to be a little off to be a great inside linebacker.   It's unfortunate, because from a playing perspective, you can't deny he had an elite year...and as a rookie.    But it's hard to dismiss the DV incident - the weed issue, I actually could care less.   It's a dumb policy, but players need to follow it while it's under the CBA.   

If the hidden stories angle is true - then that's a major problem in evaluating 'Bama players.   Because that also means Nick Saban did a masterful job to keep it under wraps - but also did nothing to make Foster accountable.  No penalties, made him a 2-year captain IIRC   I love to take shots on guys with off-the-field flags, because it often creates a HUGE opp to find draft value.     But I also view it differently if a player keeps repeating bad behavior, when accountability is present - that's a huge flag to stay away (see: Antonio Calloway).    If the institution just covers it up completely though, then there's no way of seeing if the issue is a fluke one-off, or a pattern.     

I thought london fletcher and al wilson werw model citizen's. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If the allegations against him are true he should be banned from the league. I have incredibly low tolerance for a guy that would beat on a woman. Punched her 8 to 10 times in the head?

Unbelievable. Lawrence Phillips version 2.0. If I remember right he died in prison a few years ago. Sounds like Fosters following the same path.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The NCAA is a cover up, @Broncofan.  Look at all the stories coming out.  Especially in a small city like Tuscaloosa (population of 100,000) that happens to be the National power of football.

Even at a lower profile school like CSU it happens.  A friend of mine was at a party where a high profile DL recruit (who ended up never starting and a nobody) who was 250+ pounds at the time beat the hell out of a 5’4” 120 pound kid who simply bumped into him at a party.  He said it was sickening and thought the kid was dead.  The cops were called and the kid was hauled off in an ambulance and absolutely nothing came of it, other than maybe the player getting punished with conditioning by the coaches.  Nothing ever even hit the news.

It happens everywhere.  What would blow people’s minds is if every incident were reported.  People think it’s bad now, but high profile college players and NFL or even famous people in general get off on probably half the **** they pull simply because of the fame.

In a town like Tuscaloosa, where Alabama football is everything, you can almost do no wrong as arguably the best player for the Rolling Tide.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, germ-x said:

The NCAA is a cover up, @Broncofan.  Look at all the stories coming out.  Especially in a small city like Tuscaloosa (population of 100,000) that happens to be the National power of football.

Even at a lower profile school like CSU it happens.  A friend of mine was at a party where a high profile DL recruit (who ended up never starting and a nobody) who was 250+ pounds at the time beat the hell out of a 5’4” 120 pound kid who simply bumped into him at a party.  He said it was sickening and thought the kid was dead.  The cops were called and the kid was hauled off in an ambulance and absolutely nothing came of it, other than maybe the player getting punished with conditioning by the coaches.  Nothing ever even hit the news.

It happens everywhere.  What would blow people’s minds is if every incident were reported.  People think it’s bad now, but high profile college players and NFL or even famous people in general get off on probably half the **** they pull simply because of the fame.

In a town like Tuscaloosa, where Alabama football is everything, you can almost do no wrong as arguably the best player for the Rolling Tide.

To be fair to 'Bama, what we've witnessed at Baylor, Penn State, and OKL (how they handled Mixon, Dede Westbrook, etc.) - all support what you said.   They wouldn't be alone.  And I think we all accept it...to some degree.  It's also very true that the fall is hard once it's exposed for all to see.   It's just that for all the talk about the biggest NCAA programs trying to get players ready for the NFL, accountability and responsibility are clearly needed to succeed.   But it's pure lip service if there is no accountability, even to a minimal degree, in the program.   Accountability is the one non-athletic element that a program needs if it's going to keep succeeding - and also have its graduates produce reliably at the next level.    And it doesn't have to be at an elite level - but there has to be a level.   If what is being said now about Foster is true about his 'Bama days...well, man.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair to 'Bama, what we've witnessed at Baylor, Penn State, and OKL (how they handled Mixon, Dede Westbrook, etc.) - all support what you said.   They wouldn't be alone.  And I think we all accept it...to some degree.  It's also very true that the fall is hard once it's exposed for all to see.   It's just that for all the talk about the biggest NCAA programs trying to get players ready for the NFL, accountability and responsibility are clearly needed to succeed.   But it's pure lip service if there is no accountability, even to a minimal degree, in the program.   Accountability is the one non-athletic element that a program needs if it's going to keep succeeding - and also have its graduates produce reliably at the next level.    And it doesn't have to be at an elite level - but there has to be a level.   If what is being said now about Foster is true about his 'Bama days...well, man.

I’m not saying there isn’t an attempt at accountability.  It’s not like these programs just allow players to run wild and sweep everything up.  They’re trying to protect themselves.  But the punishments don’t fit the crimes.  The team handles the punishment instead of the law in most cases. 

You should read “Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson.  Basically it says to hold roles like an elite college coach, a major business CEO, hell even at times a public school principal takes caring about no one and everything about success.  Willing to cheat, steal, and step on anyone in the way.  Not there aren’t good ones morally, but they’re few and far between.

In the case of college athletics, it’s completely true.  These guys are willing to cheat, screw over, recruit, and cover up anything and everything without scruples.

Even Urban Meyer who is a “holier than thou” figure, who latched himself onto Tim Tebow to build that persona, which was 100% a recruiting tool to cater to recruiting athletes from the south.  He like every other elite college coach couldn’t  careless about character or off the field concerns, while claiming they’re helping create leaders and men to enter the world, they’re so damn egotistical they’ll even throw in that they’re “father figures” to these young men and that graduation rates and education are of priority. All the while these coaches are crossing their fingers and hoping the players don’t do something stupid enough to get them in trouble.  If these players can play football and physically fit, all of these coaches are in and making offers.

Edited by germ-x

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

I’m not saying there isn’t an attempt at accountability.  It’s not like these programs just allow players to run wild and sweep everything up.  They’re trying to protect themselves.  But the punishments don’t fit the crimes.  The team handles the punishment instead of the law in most cases. 

You should read “Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson.  Basically it says to hold roles like an elite college coach, a major business CEO, hell even at times a public school principal takes caring about no one and everything about success.  Willing to cheat, steal, and step on anyone in the way.  Not there aren’t good ones morally, but they’re few and far between.

In the case of college athletics, it’s completely true.  These guys are willing to cheat, screw over, recruit, and cover up anything and everything without scruples.

Even Urban Meyer who is a “holier than thou” figure, who latched himself onto Tim Tebow to build that persona, which was 100% a recruiting tool to cater to recruiting athletes from the south.  He like every other elite college coach couldn’t  careless about character or off the field concerns, while claiming they’re helping create leaders and men to enter the world, they’re so damn egotistical they’ll even throw in that they’re “father figures” to these young men and that graduation rates and education are of priority. All the while these coaches are crossing their fingers and hoping the players don’t do something stupid enough to get them in trouble.  If these players can play football and physically fit, all of these coaches are in and making offers.

You're right and it's really kind of sad. Most of your 4 and 5 star HS recruits are coddled from JHS on. Has to be quite a shock to them to find out you're ultimately accountable for your actions. Maybe that theme, Personnel accountability, should be the basis of a mandatory HS class for all athletes and political science majors.

Seems a lot like "spare the rod and spoil the child" writ large.

On a positive note, is anyone paying attention to the Angels Japanese pitcher Ohtani? I don't pay much attention to sports outside of football anymore but this kid is doing some amazing things.

He'll be fun to follow this year.

Edited by AKRNA
grammer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

On a positive note, is anyone paying attention to the Angels Japanese pitcher Ohtani? I don't pay much attention to sports outside of football anymore but this kid is doing some amazing things.

He'll be fun to follow this year.

He’s certainly exciting. Will be interesting to see how he is after the All Star Break.

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

There's hypotheticals that Rosen may fall and if he did the Pats may be able to just give the niners the two first to move up to 9 since they gave them a franchise qb. That interests me could definitely see it happen.

As 

If the Broncos pass on Rosen to see him go to the Pats for dynasty v2, then I quit football fandom. . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, champ11 said:

this was really good. I grew up on the DP man. The current state really bums me out

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/18/17250246/denver-post-sports-section-woody-paige-alden-capital-adam-schefter 

It gives Kiszla a little too much credit but agreed, especially considering Rocky Mountain News was already killed off. I used to read the paper everyday even as a teen but I probably haven't gotten the paper in about 4 years now, the prep coverage is garbage typically.

19 hours ago, champ11 said:

this was really good. I grew up on the DP man. The current state really bums me out

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/18/17250246/denver-post-sports-section-woody-paige-alden-capital-adam-schefter 

That was an excellent article, Deuce! I grew up reading both The Post and The Rocky and I loved them both. As someone who works as a part-time sports journalist it's really sad to see what happened to both papers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

It gives Kiszla a little too much credit but agreed, especially considering Rocky Mountain News was already killed off. I used to read the paper everyday even as a teen but I probably haven't gotten the paper in about 4 years now, the prep coverage is garbage typically.

I agree about the Kiz love, but he was a lot more tolerable and necessary when he wasn't the only voice at the paper. At this point he's totally coasting and has to publish a column every day. Pretty tough to put out quality when you pretty much have the sports page on your back.