Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

23 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haha, I wasn’t there for the days earlier than McDaniels, but don’t think for a second some of these guys didn’t create new accounts and are still posting.  Back in my youth I had a couple usernames band and created new ones, haha.  Then I figured out how to not be be a tool and be reasonable, so much better conversation when you can accept others opinions.

Antisuperstar was an arrogant as hell poster and he was after the McDaniels era, but he knew his stuff, hasn’t been around for awhile though.

AClockWorkOrange was a damn good poster as well and during the McDaniels reign, but left shortly after McDaniels.  He was damn good too.  Regardless of whether you liked or disliked McDaniels, he knew football as well as anyone currently posting in this forum.  Antisuperstar was the same way.

How you gonna forget Omar the GOAT?

53 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I remember the first year of me following this site I was all over big ben in 04. Like banged the table for him. And instead it was dj williams lol.

Really? Interesting.

I don't think Ben was on Shanahan's radar in 04. I think that DT Tommie Harris was, but he went to the Bears a few picks before Denver selected, so they took Williams. They should have taken Steven Jackson, though.

17 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Really? Interesting.

I don't think Ben was on Shanahan's radar in 04. I think that DT Tommie Harris was, but he went to the Bears a few picks before Denver selected, so they took Williams. They should have taken Steven Jackson, though.

There is no way Rivers or big ben shouldn't of been on their radar they knew plummer couldn't take us to glory. 

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

There is no way Rivers or big ben shouldn't of been on their radar they knew plummer couldn't take us to glory. 

Rivers hasn't won anything, either. And, Plummer did lead them to the playoffs three years in a row. The defense got torched two years in a row in Indy, and they couldn't get off the field against the Steelers in the 05 Title Game.

Re: 2004 there is no way Shanahan was going QB Rd1.  Why?   Plummer had a 6M dead cap hit and 6.6M hit when the team salary cap was just 80M.  He was in year 2 of his contract.   Keeping him cost 1.6M.  

In today’s era that’s like saying we cut a guy now it costs us 12M more to cut him than keeping him.   No way we do that.  

Saying we should have considered a QB early was hindsight based and not feasible in that era.    Plummer was an awful call to extend but we were committed to see it through in 2004.  It’s a big reason why we stuck it out so long with him too.  And for better or worse Shanahan knew that.  

Shanahan got us those 2 SB but he created cap hell that took years to get out of.  That was the problem.   But with that deal no way we could have gone QB that early.   Not at all realistic, this is totally based on hindsight. 

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: 2004 there is no way Shanahan was going QB Rd1.  Why?   Plummer had a 6M dead cap hit and 6.6M hit when the team salary cap was just 80M.  He was in year 2 of his contract.   Keeping him cost 1.6M.  

In today’s era that’s like saying we cut a guy now it costs us 12M more to cut him than keeping him.   No way we do that.  

Saying we should have considered a QB early was hindsight based and not feasible in that era.    Plummer was an awful call to extend but we were committed to see it through in 2004.  It’s a big reason why we stuck it out so long with him too.  And for better or worse Shanahan knew that.  

Shanahan got us those 2 SB but he created cap hell that took years to get out of.  That was the problem.   But with that deal no way we could have gone QB that early.   Not at all realistic, this is totally based on hindsight. 

Yep.  Shanahan also went through an insanely awful set of drafts during that period.  

The ‘03 draft was especially bad.  10 picks and Nick Eason was the best player, who ended up carving out a decent career as a rotational DL with the Steelers.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Yep.  Shanahan also went through an insanely awful set of drafts during that period.  

The ‘03 draft was especially bad.  10 picks and Nick Eason was the best player, who ended up carving out a decent career as a rotational DL with the Steelers.

Yeah that was a tough time.  Cap hell and bad drafting.  And bad contracts.   The holy grail of bad team construction.   It’s too bad because obviously we don’t get our first 2 SB’s without Shanny.   But the game and cap management had clearly passed him by.  He destroyed the WAS franchise afterwards too.   Classic Snyder move feel bad for WAS fans they’ve had to put up with 20+ years of his meddling and ineptitude.   We should  count our blessings with Bowlen’s stability and wisdom to let the football guys take care of football stuff.   IMO Ellis is a cheap CEO but we could do far, far worse.  

What Shanny did in that era is why so many fans feared the idea of Kyle S in DEN.  They didn’t want a redux.  Which is really unfair.   Elway being unwilling to share control is a legit angle - son paying for the sins of his father, not so much.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah that was a tough time.  Cap hell and bad drafting.  And bad contracts.   The holy grail of bad team construction.   It’s too bad because obviously we don’t get our first 2 SB’s without Shanny.   But the game and cap management had clearly passed him by.  He destroyed the WAS franchise afterwards too.   Classic Snyder move feel bad for WAS fans they’ve had to put up with 20+ years of his meddling and ineptitude.   We should  count our blessings with Bowlen’s stability and wisdom to let the football guys take care of football stuff.   IMO Ellis is a cheap CEO but we could do far, far worse.  

What Shanny did in that era is why so many fans feared the idea of Kyle S in DEN.  They didn’t want a redux.  Which is really unfair.   Elway being unwilling to share control is a legit angle - son paying for the sins of his father, not so much.  

Elway and Mike Shanahan don't get along though. I think that's relevant to hiring Kyle tbh 

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Elway and Mike Shanahan don't get along though. I think that's relevant to hiring Kyle tbh 

Oh yeah that’s a fair reason.  Just the take that he would fall into the same traps as his dad was unfair.  Seemed like piling on to justify passing on him since reason #1 makes it about Elway.  The coach we hire has to be able to coexist with Elway.  No brainer.  But the take Kyle might repeat his dad’s mistakes totally off base.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Imo synyder screwed that,franchise from rg3 to the ridiculous free agent contracts.

I think shanny,getting Cousins saved them tbh.

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Imo synyder screwed that,franchise from rg3 to the ridiculous free agent contracts.

I think shanny,getting Cousins saved them tbh.

RG3 was promising. Shanahan and whoever made the call to play him and continue to run their offense when his knee was clearly messed up blew it. That organization is just a joke though so there is plenty of blame to go around

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Who's your mount rushmore of broncos

tough call. born in 92 so I remember the Super Bowls, but really got into it Jake Plummer's first year. I'd probably go Elway, TD, Sharpe, Miller. Tough to leave Champ off though. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

tough call. born in 92 so I remember the Super Bowls, but really got into it Jake Plummer's first year. I'd probably go Elway, TD, Sharpe, Miller. Tough to leave Champ off though. 

Champ shanny ? Atwater? Talib is the hardest in for me. I think harris gets there.

Edited by thebestever6