Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Also on a different note and I’d love @broncos_fan _from _uk to give an opinion on this as he’s in the medical field.

I just saw a commercial directed at seniors with how crucial it is to get a flu shot and how deadly the flu is.

Obviously it’s well documented how bad this past flu season was and I fully understand that viruses evolve.  I am 30 and as a kid don’t remember the flu being all that big of a deal, don’t even remember a big push to get a shot.  You either got the flu for a week or 2 and were miserable and they didn’t even give any antibiotics or you got lucky and didn’t.  Now this country makes it seem if you get it you’re going to die unless you get a flu shot.

I personally have only gotten the shot 5 years ago and 2 months later was as sick as I’ve ever been.  Just wondering how serious the flu really is if you use a little common sense.

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

Also on a different note and I’d love @broncos_fan _from _uk to give an opinion on this as he’s in the medical field.

I just saw a commercial directed at seniors with how crucial it is to get a flu shot and how deadly the flu is.

Obviously it’s well documented how bad this past flu season was and I fully understand that viruses evolve.  I am 30 and as a kid don’t remember the flu being all that big of a deal, don’t even remember a big push to get a shot.  You either got the flu for a week or 2 and were miserable and they didn’t even give any antibiotics or you got lucky and didn’t.  Now this country makes it seem if you get it you’re going to die unless you get a flu shot.

I personally have only gotten the shot 5 years ago and 2 months later was as sick as I’ve ever been.  Just wondering how serious the flu really is if you use a little common sense.

My specialty is Emergency Medicine, so I see A LOT of flu. Bottom line up front? The flu shot saves lives.

2 bits of background are needed to understand why. 

#1: Your body has two types of immune systems. Your innate immune system is derived of cells that attack and kill things that your body has not tagged as "self." the result of this though is inflammation and can have systemic results in large amounts. It a dumb dirty system, kind of like carpet bombing in WWII. Your adaptive immune systems is your antibodies. When your body encounters one of these invaders it creates antibodies. This is a target attack, like a cruise missile. This takes a couple of days, so the first time your body encounters a specific strain of the invader its all up to your innate immune system to fight it off.   The antibodies hang around for years though and the biggest benefit is that they help your body identify and kill it faster the next time.

#2: The flu is caused by a virus (so antibiotics don't work. For that matter tamiflu doesn't work either, but i digress) that kills people in 2 different ways. The most common way is that it lowers your overall immune system and allows for a superimposed bacterial pneumonia to set in, which kills you in 10-14 days. This usually affects the very young, the very old, and the chronically ill. There are some strains however (the 1918 flu and last years version) that make your innate immune system go haywire. This kills otherwise healthy young adults within days.

So how does the vaccine work? it allows your body to make antibodies against the flu virus. For the old, young, and ill this means that their body is able to mount a response before they get the pneumonia that kills them. For the otherwise healthy person this means that the body uses cruise missiles right off the bat and there is a much lower chance of your innate immune system going crazy and killing you. 

So how effective is the vaccine? very at reducing your chance of dying (79% less likley) or ending up in the ICU (37% less likely), though only ok at reducing your chance of getting sick at all.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28525597

Edit: So as not to be a fear-mongerer, the chance of dying from the flu is still fairly low. Over the last 30 years the number of Americans who have gotten the flu has averaged at about 200K, the number of american deaths has ranged from 3-49K.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk

23 minutes ago, OrangeNBlue86 said:

Whats our record if we sign cousins?

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Probably 3-1

The problem is if we sign Cousins, we probably don't spend anywhere else. 

Now, given that Veldheer can't stay on the field, and Davis is a horror show at coverage, that's probably still a W for us.

The bigger issue - Cousins turned down NYJ's offer for more $$.    He probably turned us down because he preferred MIN.  So it's kind of a moot point.

23 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

My specialty is Emergency Medicine, so I see A LOT of flu. Bottom line up front? The flu shot saves lives.

2 bits of background are needed to understand why. 

#1: Your body has two types of immune systems. Your innate immune system is derived of cells that attack and kill things that your body has not tagged as "self." the result of this though is inflammation and can have systemic results in large amounts. It a dumb dirty system, kind of like carpet bombing in WWII. Your adaptive immune systems is your antibodies. When your body encounters one of these invaders it creates antibodies. This is a target attack, like a cruise missile. This takes a couple of days, so the first time your body encounters a specific strain of the invader its all up to your innate immune system to fight it off.   The antibodies hang around for years though and the biggest benefit is that they help your body identify and kill it faster the next time.

#2: The flu is caused by a virus (so antibodies don't work. For that matter tamiflu doesn't work either, but i digress) that kills people in 2 different ways. The most common way is that it lowers your overall immune system and allows for a superimposed bacterial pneumonia to set in, which kills you in 10-14 days. This usually affects the very young, the very old, and the chronically ill. There are some strains however (the 1918 flu and last years version) that make your innate immune system go haywire. This kills otherwise healthy young adults within days.

So how does the vaccine work? it allows your body to make antibodies against the flu virus. For the old, young, and ill this means that their body is able to mount a response before they get the pneumonia that kills them. For the otherwise healthy person this means that the body uses cruise missiles right off the bat and there is a much lower chance of your innate immune system going crazy and killing you. 

So how effective is the vaccine? very at reducing your chance of dying (79% less likley) or ending up in the ICU (37% less likely), though only ok at reducing your chance of getting sick at all. 

The other part sabout the anti-vaccine people don't talk about:

-When the population as a whole takes the flu shot, it improves the population's health.  It literally protects the weak/unhealthy.   Not just the elderly - newborns, family members taking cancer treatment, etc.    Now, some really dumb people (yes, there's no other word for it) then say "well I'll let others provide the immunity" - but it only works with high uptake of the vaccine.    And in the case of the flu, if you work at a school/hospital/daycare/seniors home, or have a high amount of public contact with strangers (like work in a mall) - you are almost certainly getting a healthy exposure to the flu.  

-As @broncos_fan _from _uk mentioned - the more vaccine you take, the more your overall resilience to future flu seasons goes up.  They've demonstrated that seniors who take repeated vaccines actually have lower incidence of infection and mortality in future years.   So even when the vaccines "miss" that year, they actually confer a protective effect. 

-When outbreaks of new strains come out, the ONLY thing that's stopped old-era pandemics that literally kill thousands of people (and potentially many more pre-modern medicine) - a vaccine.  The H1N1 outbreak in Australia allowed a vaccine to be developed in North America just as the outbreak occurred here (as their fall/winter flu season gave scientists 4-6 months to develop a specific vaccine for the new strain).   If you look at the Australia/Asia experience for H1N1, it literally looks like the swine flu epidemic of 1918 (Spanish) / 1957 (Asian) - where literally thousands of healthy people either died or had life-threatening illness requiring life support there, not to mention the more vulnerable populations.   But with a vaccine, H1N1 in North America was much different - awful for the 1st 6 weeks before vaccine rolled out, and then suddenly, more of a normal flu season.   And unlike so many other situations, there was only 1 difference - the vaccine.   And this was the 2nd time in which they showed a similar effect - in 1968, the Hong Kong influenza pandemic was cut short in its tracks with the rollout of a vaccine (first time they were able to develop it so quickly). 

-While everyone thinks "OK, maybe I'll take it when a new epidemic comes out with one of the new strains" - the problem is two-fold.  First, no one really can predict when the next epidemic comes out.   Secondly, even if you have a non-epidemic year, it's much lower, but there's still a risk a young and/or completely healthy person gets the flu, and gets incredibly sick..and even dies.   

-Finally, while the flu sounds like an inconvenience for most and not life-threatening - it's becoming harder and harder to go through it (as the viruses are evolving).   What was previously a 3-day illness can be a 1-2 week completely debilitating illness.  The old flu experience from the 1970-1980-1990's with healthy adults isn't really the case with true influenza.    And then your wife/kids/siblings/parents get it.   And so it becomes a massively bad experience even if it's not life-threatening - and for the risk/cost, even a 30-40% reduction in prevention, well honestly, it's nobrainer on that alone.  And that's before you get the actual benefits in life-threatening risk reduction for vulnerable and healthy people. 

(Side note - lot of people get a cold or non-flu virus, and think it's the flu.   It's not.   If you have the flu nowadays, it's fevers, feeling so unwell you're usually bedbound, and a lot of respiratory distress - it's not as much of a vomiting/diarrheal illness - it's wipe-you-out, keep-you-in-bed and more important, impact your ability to breathe comfortably..and that's before you get to life-threatening illness.   That's the flu nowadays.  What people go through in 1-3 days means it's not the flu, more like Norwalk-Rotavirus type illness, which isn't fun, but isn't the target of the vaccine).

Now, it's also pretty clear vaccines aren't 100 percent effective for that year.   The issue with vaccines each year is that the scientists have to predict which strain is likely to dominate.  They usually give a 3-4 strain mix of vaccine.  So in some years, they can be wrong - and then everyone goes haywire about how it's only risky.  But the reality is, even in "bad" years, they confer benefits that far outweigh the risks.   

In fact, the hard science is very clear - vaccines save lives.    Not even close to a debate.    As someone who's worked through the H1N1 pandemic, and seen first-hand how we went from healthy people dying or going on life support without any ability to predict, and then suddenly becoming a "normal" flu season (in which the risk of being unlucky, is still there, albeit much lower), well, it's not even a question.  It's just that you don't need to take my or @broncos_fan _from _uk 's word for it - the science is absolute here.   

And @germ-x - as a parent of a new kid - you don't want to have your kid have the flu.   Or your wife.  Or yourself.   To answer your Q - it's not even close to the flu of old.   And with a kid, and the likelihood they will get exposed to the flu in a daycare/school, well, it's a nobrainer.   Hope that helps. 

Edited by Broncofan

Random, so I guess it goes here, but if the first three halves of his short career mean anything, Baker Mayfield may be one of my biggest draft 'misses' ever. He looks phenominal.

I think I let Manziel recency bias cloud my judgement, and concentrated too much on system/lack of LOS audible responsibility. Never worried about the size really, but thought his hot headedness could manifest in good and bad ways, and it seems he has matured to the point of channeling all of that energy into positive reactions. Early, but he  could be really, really good.

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Random, so I guess it goes here, but if the first three halves of his short career mean anything, Baker Mayfield may be one of my biggest draft 'misses' ever. He looks phenominal.

I think I let Manziel recency bias cloud my judgement, and concentrated too much on system/lack of LOS audible responsibility. Never worried about the size really, but thought his hot headedness could manifest in good and bad ways, and it seems he has matured to the point of channeling all of that energy into positive reactions. Early, but he  could be really, really good.

I wish Baker was our QB so bad dude. He's going to be so fun and I think he's a special player.

The Browns are going to be solid to good next season with a new coach

• Like 1