Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Just a hunch but I think KC might come back to earth against the Jags.

Yeah teams with elite D’s often neutralize powerhouse O’s.   We showed how to do it for 52 minutes.   JAX is obv more complete so them making Mahomes run for his life wouldn’t surprise me at all - and only so much magic he can pull out of his hat.   

Plus the JAX O even without Fournette can still roll out a decent power run attack and pass game.   The only reason KC wins is if Bortles turns into old Bortles, or the HFA noise factor keeps them a half step slower than normal.   Having said that there are major weather issues for that game too - so it could end up being a big mistakefest old-school game.   I’ve got $ on JAX +3.5 regardless lol.  

For the record, I have zero problem with what Khabib did after UFC 229. Mcgregor and his team of goons finally bit off more than they could chew and got thier ***** beat for it. I thought it was glorious ?

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just watched the Browns-Ravens game, and I can say without any doubt whatsoever the Browns are rather happy with their decision to take Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb. The former is going to be an All Pro.

I will readily own that I thought Ward’s size would prevent him from being an All-Pro ceiling CB.  So far so good.  He’s a great cover guy - although he still gets beat by being too aggressive (much like Marcus Peters) but has elite shadow skills.   Now he hasn’t faced many size mismatches yet either (Crabtree isn’t that guy anymore) other than Michael Thomas (who is beating everyone, he's catching 93 percent of his targets - which is just out of this world ridiculous), but what stands out is how much of a Peters like ball hawk Ward is - and I’d say he has better cover skills at the same stage of development  (but still gets beat, like Peters, but that's also the life of a CB on an island). 

The Browns still whiffed hard by not taking a T with all their capital and getting another G instead (may have got lucky in getting Desmond Harrison as a UDFA), and   I still think they passed on the best QB - but at the very least Ward looks like a full hit.  With a shutdown CB and a generational talent EDGE in Garrett (to pair with a very good pass rusher in Ogbah on the other side) CLE is fast becoming an emerging great D.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just watched the Browns-Ravens game, and I can say without any doubt whatsoever the Browns are rather happy with their decision to take Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb. The former is going to be an All Pro.

Yup, we would be in better shape with Ward over Chubb probably. Pretty wild that the Browns are way way ahead of us in promise going forward 

Edited by champ11

20 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yup, we would be in better shape with Ward over Chubb probably. Pretty wild that the Browns are way way ahead of us in promise going forward 

That's on Sashi Brown, he created the $100M in space, and the pick pool return.   And while ppl were killing him for passing on Wentz/Watson, he doesn't get 1.1 now and the pick pool and young team without going there (and Watson, NO ONE was killing CLE for trading back at the time, no one...not even Hue, the HC either).  

Sashi died so the CLE franchise could live.    That's one helluva D with Ogbujoni in the trenches, Garrett/Ogbah outside, and Ward CB and Peppers SS.  They're really just a FS, 2nd CB and ILB help away from 2015-DEN level D.   Top 3-5 D already IMO.   They might have lucked out with T Desmond Harrison as UDFA LT, too (I was so hoping we'd go there, but alas his character issues didn't fit in this year's draft theme, which while I'm sad for on the missed opp, I do get the theme was consistent - just take Harrison over Williams! Oh well).   Remember, Brown got fired for sabotaging the trade that Hue Jackson & owner Haslem orchestrated...to get AJ freaking McCarron for 2.1 last year.    He also got an extra 2nd round pick from HOU to spend on RB Nick Chubb - by taking on the bad contract of Brock Osweiler.  Using cap $ they had to spend to get to the minimum.   So he basically got Nick Chubb for free, since they had to spend the $.   History is already writing a very favorable outcome for Sashi Brown's plan - he's just not around to reap the rewards. 

GM Dorsey whiffed on G Corbett (because they stated their intention to move him to T, which failed right away), and their pass rusher in Rd3 is so far a work in progress (which in Rd3 is understandable), and I still think Darnold is the jewel of the QB class.  But Mayfield looks like he won't bust outright if he's even moderately OK now, and Ward's looking like an early hit.  And Dorsey's the same guy that gave up 3.1 for Tyrod..then threw $ that he didn't need to, either (yes, there was lots of it to spend, but again, so many better choices that didn't cost a draft pick).   But, that's the beauty of what Sashi did - Dorsey may have whiffed on G vs. T Rd2, and threw away a lot of value with Tyrod's signing, but the crazy cap $ left and pick pool gave him extra chances to whiff - and he could only whiff so much (Mayfield may not be the top QB in this class, but he's also likely not to bust out, that's what having 1.1 does).  

I know it's heresy in DEN, but better to totally think future for 1-2 years, it leads to a faster rebuild.  I've pounded the drum on this since last year, and I know DEN is spoiled, but we forget that Elway took that approach when he inherited the 2011 mess.    Now, CLE was in way worse shape than we were, so Brown put in a 3-year plan, and we're now seeing the Year 3 results.   Imagine if Elway had the courage to do that in 2017, how different we'd look - he'd have taken BPA over need in the draft (no C-Henderson for sure, at the very least, ahead of guys like Godwin and Golladay), and not spent $ on Keenum, and been in much better cap health.   Instead, we've got a nice 2018 draft class (which would have been far better with QB 1.5, but still nice) - and a lot of aging vets on a win-now roster that isn't good enough to win now.  

Meanwhile, for all the ribbing CLE has rightfully earned, Sashi Brown did the rebuild the right way.   Now all CLE has to do is get rid of the guy who should have been fired last year (Hue Jackson, the same guy who wanted McCarron, thought they should still play Kizer at QB even with all his TO's, and Peppers at FS instead of SS, and so many more awful in-game decisions - but hey, it was the GM's fault), and that team is headed for even loftier heights - playoff contention in 2019+, and built to last.   Strange days indeed.

Edited by Broncofan

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/10/7/17949594/derek-wolfe-angry

Interesting. I'm curious what he was referring to when he mentioned "something deeper going" with the team. My bet is that the players recognize how clueless the coaching staff is, and they're getting tired of it. I noted during the preseason that Woods was continually calling the perfectly wrong defensive looks against opposing offenses. This resulted in some HUGE plays where there were literally zero defenders anywhere near where the ball ended up. And it wasn't from missed assignments; the defense was just straight up being put in bad positions that made it impossible to do their jobs. I still say that Woods has shown flashes of brilliance (first 3 quarters of the KC game) and he has potential. But could have used a couple more years under his belt as an assistant. Overall our offense is improved from last year, but I'm starting to think that has more to do with the explosive young talent we drafted along with a healthy Sanders vs what Musgrave is doing. It's too bad Kubiak had to leave due to his health problems. I'd love to see what he could do with this young group of extremely talented guys. 

There have been some bad contracts in the history of the NFL, but I think the one that the Redskins gave Alex Smith is going to go down as one of the  worst of all time.

The Redskins don't have a legiimate out of that contract until 2021 and even then that will cause a dead cap of $13.5 mill from a cap hit $24.4 mill.

So, at very worst for Smith, it's a 3 year $71 mill deal. If the Redskins by some miracle can assemble an Offensive roster like the Chiefs had with Smith at QB then maybe it won't look as bad. But right now, that team looks completely doomed.

Oh, and Smith's career earnings will fall just short of $200 mill in 2021. Wow. Just, wow.

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

The Eagles have just completely mugged the Giants WRs off the line.  It isn’t even a jam, it’s a complete hold and hasn’t been called once all game.  Took a chapter from the Seahawks from 3-4 years ago. 

Eli has looked really really bad. Barkley is insane, and OBJ obviously talented, but man is Eli holding that offense back. He can't make any throws right now it is frustrating to watch even as a non-fan.

36 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Eli has looked really really bad. Barkley is insane, and OBJ obviously talented, but man is Eli holding that offense back. He can't make any throws right now it is frustrating to watch even as a non-fan.

Oh yeah, he’s awful.  With a QB that could play that offense would be scary when fully healthy with Barkley, OBJ, Shepard, and Engram.

Edited by germ-x

Oh yeah, he’s awful.  With a QB that could play that offense would be scary when fully healthy with Barkley, OBJ, Shepard, and Engram.

For as bad as Eli has been, I would deal Case for him in a instant. Mostly because his dead cap next offseason is 6.5 vs 10.

Maybe he could get a boost after being dealt, or maybe he totally nosedives and we finally can see Chad.

Eli for Case. A old, worn out pair of formerly nice sneakers for a pair that never were good shoes in the first place.

33 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

For as bad as Eli has been, I would deal Case for him in a instant. Mostly because his dead cap next offseason is 6.5 vs 10.

Maybe he could get a boost after being dealt, or maybe he totally nosedives and we finally can see Chad.

Eli for Case. A old, worn out pair of formerly nice sneakers for a pair that never were good shoes in the first place.

Let's be clear though, they both suck, Eli's just taken too many hits and he just can't hang in the pocket anymore (he sees ghosts, who can blame him).  But I'm all for 3.5M in savings.  We'd still need to find a 2019 QB, though.  That's my only fear in any scenario with Eli - ppl would fall in love with the past history and name and think it's worth spending time to see if it's salvageable.   

The 2019 hope really is Kelly...or ugh, dive into a much worse top end 2019 QB draft class (Carr is never getting traded by OAK to us in-division).  God, I hope it's Kelly, just because the spectre of a 2019 draft overpay is so scary.

Edited by Broncofan