Sign in to follow this  
AnAngryAmerican

Random Thoughts

I love Eli because he's such a beautiful example of how dumb NFL front offices can be 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

God, I hope it's Kelly, just because the spectre of a 2019 draft overpay is so scary.

There are maybe half a dozen teams in need of a QB - there will be a mad scramble for Herbert.

Just now, jolly red giant said:

There are maybe half a dozen teams in need of a QB - there will be a mad scramble for Herbert.

Who will be above Denver?

NYG for sure

OAK (maybe?  Who knows what Gruden does with Carr)

MIA maybe

WASH maybe

TB maybe

So yeah, Denver needs to keep losing to have a realistic shot.  Personally and probably pipe dream, I hope Kelly plays and plays well, Elway lucks into a QBOTF and we draft Greedy Williams

52 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Who will be above Denver?

NYG for sure

OAK (maybe?  Who knows what Gruden does with Carr)

MIA maybe

WASH maybe

TB maybe

So yeah, Denver needs to keep losing to have a realistic shot.  Personally and probably pipe dream, I hope Kelly plays and plays well, Elway lucks into a QBOTF and we draft Greedy Williams

Broncos, Giants are the two teams that will be picking int he top 10 that NEED a QB. Others that NEED - Steelers, Patriots, Chargers, will probably be picking in the 2nd half of the 1st round. 

A few teams MAYBE (these teams could play QB carousel) - Dolphins, Raiders, Jaguars, Cowboys, Bucs - these would all be throwing serviceable QB back into the field though that would start somewhere.

If there were two serious QB prospects, that would put Denver in good position. Just not sure beyond Herbert who I really like. Curious to see more of Haskins and Lock. 

Herbert (Oregon), Lock (Missouri), Finley (NC State), Jones (Duke), Stidham (Auburn), Grier (WVU), Haskins (OSU) - those are the names i have mostly seen associated with a possibility to get picked in the 1st round. Not going to act like I can scout college QBs, but I will be checking their stats over the next few weeks for sure.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

If there were two serious QB prospects, that would put Denver in good position. Just not sure beyond Herbert who I really like. Curious to see more of Haskins and Lock. 

I hear Montez too

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And that's the problem - at this stage, to not have 2 serious QB prospects, it means that the guy who ends up #2 has a huge risk of being a reach pick.  Montez has literally no experience of high-level play against good D's. That's terrifying.    Same for Haskins.   The other guys have clear flaws in their game skill-wise that we didn't see with the top 3 last year, and in some cases, they also were very old when they started experiencing success (Grier).   Other guys are just caretaker-type guys.

And while Herbert is the clear head-and-shoulders guy this year - I'd still say he'd have been a clear #4 in last year's class, and frankly, been there neck and neck with Lamar Jackson (I'm still not a big believer in Josh Allen, just too much bust potential, while recognizing his physical tools are elite-generational level).   

The problem is that if Chad Kelly doesn't show enough to be our 2019 guy, Elway can't sit out on the QB class.  Which is ironic, because he chose to pass on the deepest top-end QB class in 2018 with a pick that didn't require a move up...because he was afraid of committing the mistake that seems far more likely to occur in 2019.  Sigh. 

Edited by Broncofan

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And that's the problem - at this stage, to not have 2 serious QB prospects, it means that the guy who ends up #2 has a huge risk of being a reach pick.  Montez has literally no experience of high-level play against good D's. That's terrifying.    Same for Haskins.   The other guys have clear flaws in their game skill-wise that we didn't see with the top 3 last year, and in some cases, they also were very old when they started experiencing success (Grier).   Other guys are just caretaker-type guys.

And while Herbert is the clear head-and-shoulders guy this year - I'd still say he'd have been a clear #4 in last year's class, and frankly, been there neck and neck with Lamar Jackson (I'm still not a big believer in Josh Allen, just too much bust potential, while recognizing his physical tools are elite-generational level).   

The problem is that if Chad Kelly doesn't show enough to be our 2019 guy, Elway can't sit out on the QB class.  Which is ironic, because he chose to pass on the deepest top-end QB class in 2018 with a pick that didn't require a move up...because he was afraid of committing the mistake that seems far more likely to occur in 2019.  Sigh. 

I like Finley.  He’s in that caretaker mold, but he is asked to make NFL reads/decisions.  Big, solid athlete, enough arm, accurate, gets the ball out quick and on time.  I think he really fits what a lot of the league has moved to offensively with his quick decisions and ability to get the ball out quickly.  

22 hours ago, germ-x said:

I like Finley.  He’s in that caretaker mold, but he is asked to make NFL reads/decisions.  Big, solid athlete, enough arm, accurate, gets the ball out quick and on time.  I think he really fits what a lot of the league has moved to offensively with his quick decisions and ability to get the ball out quickly.  

I have heard some good things about N.C. State's Ryan Finley as well. He is projected to go in Round 2 in most of the Walter Football mocks. Here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hCKvxE3Po