Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

55 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Eli missing OBJ on that 2 pt conversion was a cuttable offense. I mean seriously. One of the worst plays I've seen 

I think you mean the 4th and goal at the 2....the 2-pointer, to be fair, OBJ dropped (not a great place, but a drop on OBJ).

Eli missed OBJ on a corner route for 1 TD, then that 4th down TD, and on 2 open chunk plays where he felt rush that wasn't there and rushed throws.  And in their 3-and-out...he had OBJ open all 3 plays (missed the 1st down thrown as mentioned above).  The last 2 plays, he turtled and didn't see OBJ break open on crossing routes.   It's just painful watching Eli be the QB.  Yes, the OL is horrible - but Eli's seeing ghosts so much he's missing plays that Shurmur has designed properly, and OBJ is breaking open.    The sad part is that when Eli hangs in and delivers - good things happen.  We saw that last night with OBJ & Shepard.   And with Barkley, they should be able to succeed way more than with Eli at the helm.

Now, they absolutely need better OL play - Will Hernandez did something I rarely see, total whiff on a block, just straight out missed his block on Grady Jarrett on 1 of the many sacks ATL got.   He's going to be OK long-term, but his learning curve is going to be lot steeper and take longer to get over than I initially thought. And Nate Solder looks like JAG at LT, which is a problem at 15M AAV.    But I expect the GM will get their QB Rd1 (Herbert), and then attack G/T in Rds 2-3 and FA.   But they need QB even worse than we do.   It's literally holding that O back. 

Now, to be fair, Shurmur is going through a learning phase himself - that swing pass on 3rd and 2, and that jet sweep to short side of the field, that's WTF stuff play-call wise.   But literally 50 percent of it is horrific line play - but it's negated by quick hitting schemes that are getting guys open early.   80 percent of the poor pass game is on Eli's inability to deliver, and his turtling/flinching now.  It's sad to see, the hits have just taken their toll.  And it's affecting his judgment - those 2 QB sneaks are not on Shurmur, that's on Eli at the line making that call in the 2-minute drill.  And worse, he did it TWICE.    Which is just how telling how disconnected Eli is from where he sees himself skill-wise...and where he is actually at now.  SMH it's sad to see.

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I've always been so fortunate growing up to have Manchester United as a fallback to the total lack of success the Broncos have had since I followed the sport.

I think the last two and a half years have been the only time when both teams are just awful. Meh :(

Now is  your time to jump on the nuggets bandwagon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Now is  your time to jump on the nuggets bandwagon

I just can't follow a sport that I can never watch live due to time difference and there is so many games in a season. I just love how every game matters in football and 'soccer'.

Chuffed for you all that the Nuggets appear to be making moves. I read an article on the Athletic that said they are really well equipped to face the Warriors in the Playoffs; 3 games into the season and that article was written ......

• Like 1

The Raiders suck so bad.  If we lose to them it’s pathetic.  I want no part of Derek Carr, he’s awful.  

Gruden is over there ripping his DC and deservedly so as the 49er offense is terrible, but it’d be tough to have the balls to do that when Gruden’s offense has scored 3 against a 49er defense that’s given up 30 a game.

To further add insult to injury.  Kelechi Osemele is on the sideline laughing after getting an illegal formation flag when the play even resulted in his QB getting annihilated.

Gruden’s not going to sleep for 2 weeks after this loss.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

The Raiders suck so bad.  If we lose to them it’s pathetic.  I want no part of Derek Carr, he’s awful.  

Gruden is over there ripping his DC and deservedly so as the 49er offense is terrible, but it’d be tough to have the balls to do that when Gruden’s offense has scored 3 against a 49er defense that’s given up 30 a game.

To further add insult to injury.  Kelechi Osemele is on the sideline laughing after getting an illegal formation flag when the play even resulted in his QB getting annihilated.

Gruden’s not going to sleep for 2 weeks after this loss.

Remember when I said I'd never be OK with a 1st round pick for Carr, but I'd be ok if it was a 3rd-4th?  Yeah, I was way too high.  Or just plain high at the time.

That OL was horrific, but Carr really walked himself into 2-3 sacks.  And that problem of seeing ghosts was magnified 100x tonight.

The thing is, I'm sure he goes to a new franchise, a new QB guru, they could probably fix him.  But us?   I don't see it.  And that really sucks, given how bad the 2019 draft and the FA class is.

35 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Quinnen Williams (DT, Alabama) is so insanely good. I wonder if this draft gives us a repeat of Suh/McCoy with two DTs in the top 5. 

Haven’t watched him yet, but even without him this DT class is loaded.  Oliver, Lawrence, Brown, Wilkins, Simmons, Davis, and now potentially Williams (who I’ve seen moving up boards) are all guys I’ve seen in the top 10 from one draftnik to another.

The OT class, which lacks the high end talent, isn’t far behind in depth.  Same with CB.

Man, just makes Chad Kelly’s boneheadedness even harder to swallow. Not that he would’ve been the QB of the future, but there was the potential for that and it would’ve allowed Denver to use RD1 and RD2 picks on positions that could’ve really built this team.

Instead Denver’s in a take a QB this year or tank for next year type of mode.  

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haven’t watched him yet, but even without him this DT class is loaded.  Oliver, Lawrence, Brown, Wilkins, Simmons, Davis, and now potentially Williams (who I’ve seen moving up boards) are all guys I’ve seen in the top 10 from one draftnik to another.

The OT class, which lacks the high end talent, isn’t far behind in depth.  Same with CB.

Man, just makes Chad Kelly’s boneheadedness even harder to swallow. Not that he would’ve been the QB of the future, but there was the potential for that and it would’ve allowed Denver to use RD1 and RD2 picks on positions that could’ve really built this team.

Personally, I hop we tank next year, if the choice is between that and forcing a pick on (another) bad/over rated QB.  Load up on OL, DL, and CB talent, cut the expensive vets, play all the rookies, maybe trade a few players/pick for 2020 draft picks, and go ALL IN for QB in 2020 with the line and weapons to support him.  

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

As much as taking a Rd3-4 QB is a terrible move odds-wise - for 2019, it's a way better move for us long-term.  Whoever we pick in Rd 1-2 will likely only marginally safer than the Rd3-4 QB available - it's deep in that got-tools-but-has-other-significant-flaws tier.   Normally, a Rd1 guy has at least a 50/50 shot to be a league-average QB - I don't know outside of Herbert, if there's anyone who fits that risk profile - and frankly, I don't know that the 6th-7th QB taken this draft will be that much worse.    And while it's a waste in theory to take a Rd3-4 pick that fails - at least it gives some type of shot for QBOTF in 2019 - but at the same time, does not tie us down for a MUCH stronger 2020 class.      Fail with a Rd 4 QB in 2019 - hit Rd1 with a much better class, and the draft capital doesn't force the team to pass on a much deeper top-end QB class.    

Spending a Rd1-2 pick given the strength of this draft class is all DL/EDGE/OT and even CB, all which we sorely need, would be a colossal reach for need when the guys there aren't even close to Rd1-2 talents if they didn't have the QB position label.    As much as I've pounded the table for 2018 being the year to go Rd1 QB, it's literally 10x as strong to not go QB Rd1-2.    Let's all hope Elway sees that.  But yeah, Kelly's boneheadedness just really hurts - it was the one legit chance to avoid any of the 2019 QB meh class. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Personally, I hop we tank next year, if the choice is between that and forcing a pick on (another) bad/over rated QB.  Load up on OL, DL, and CB talent, cut the expensive vets, play all the rookies, maybe trade a few players/pick for 2020 draft picks, and go ALL IN for QB in 2020 with the line and weapons to support him.  

Thats a point that should be stressed. Even the great QB's never won SB's without good to great teams. That'll never change.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As much as taking a Rd3-4 QB is a terrible move odds-wise - for 2019, it's a way better move for us long-term.  Whoever we pick in Rd 1-2 will likely only marginally safer than the Rd3-4 QB available - it's deep in that got-tools-but-has-other-significant-flaws tier.   Normally, a Rd1 guy has at least a 50/50 shot to be a league-average QB - I don't know outside of Herbert, if there's anyone who fits that risk profile - and frankly, I don't know that the 6th-7th QB taken this draft will be that much worse.    And while it's a waste in theory to take a Rd3-4 pick that fails - at least it gives some type of shot for QBOTF in 2019 - but at the same time, does not tie us down for a MUCH stronger 2020 class.      Fail with a Rd 4 QB in 2019 - hit Rd1 with a much better class, and the draft capital doesn't force the team to pass on a much deeper top-end QB class.    

Spending a Rd1-2 pick given the strength of this draft class is all DL/EDGE/OT and even CB, all which we sorely need, would be a colossal reach for need when the guys there aren't even close to Rd1-2 talents if they didn't have the QB position label.    As much as I've pounded the table for 2018 being the year to go Rd1 QB, it's literally 10x as strong to not go QB Rd1-2.    Let's all hope Elway sees that.  But yeah, Kelly's boneheadedness just really hurts - it was the one legit chance to avoid any of the 2019 QB meh class. 

I think Elways days of reaching for a QB in the draft are done. He emphasized that last year by not reaching for Rosen or Allen and taking the best player on the board in Chubb.