Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

@lomaxgrUK @Broncofan

Curious to hear your thoughts on Joe Jones and how he projects as an every down player in the league.

I don't trust my own ability to reliably evaluate individual players (and didn't scout him before the draft) - but I've been impressed with how often he's around the ball and making plays. Could he be a candidate for every-down duties next year? 

Edited by bMiller031

23 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

@lomaxgrUK @Broncofan

Curious to hear your thoughts on Joe Jones and how he projects as an every down player in the league.

I don't trust my own ability to reliably evaluate individual players (and didn't scout him before the draft) - but I've been impressed with how often he's around the ball and making plays. Could he be a candidate for every-down duties next year? 

Dude is a ST ace so that will justify his roster spot alone.  Would need several games to see how it translates to D though, CIN isn’t a great test (OMG that was a decimated OL with zero discipline so many penalties).  

As we saw from guys like Latimer the ST skills aren’t necessarily transferable.  The agility and quickness though can’t hurt.  

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dude is a ST ace so that will justify his roster spot alone.  Would need several games to see how it translates to D though, CIN isn’t a great test (OMG that was a decimated OL with zero discipline so many penalties).  

As we saw from guys like Latimer the ST skills aren’t necessarily transferable.  The agility and quickness though can’t hurt.  

Elway has somewhat put off ILB and understandably so as it was almost thought of as the RB of the defense, but in today’s league it’s crucial to have at least 1 LB that can cover.

Obviously, being fast and agile doesn’t mean you have the instincts to cover, but Jones has 4.5 speed and Elway has had a knack for hitting late round LBs and UDFAs (Trevathan, Marshall, Davis (I know Marshall and Davis came from other teams)) Hopefully he hits this one and he can be more than a STer.  Though, I won’t cross my fingers.

19 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Elway has somewhat put off ILB and understandably so as it was almost thought of as the RB of the defense, but in today’s league it’s crucial to have at least 1 LB that can cover.

Obviously, being fast and agile doesn’t mean you have the instincts to cover, but Jones has 4.5 speed and Elway has had a knack for hitting late round LBs and UDFAs (Trevathan, Marshall, Davis (I know Marshall and Davis came from other teams)) Hopefully he hits this one and he can be more than a STer.  Though, I won’t cross my fingers.

Yeah speed is a must in today’s NFL.  As much as it was a free shot to find an ILB cheap, Alexander Johnson might not work out because he is weakest in that area.  He did make it back to the PS FWIW, so still a shot there, but I do admit I worry looking at his skill profile, how it translates to today's NFL.  

The problem with Jones is he’s got great chase instincts and speed those are the skills to excel on ST.  His instincts for the ball, reading run vs. pass, stack/shedding blocks and pass cover footwork / technique are all key to ILB success on D.  And obviously a big unknown with him.   

It’s too bad we didn’t have a Jones toolset and Jewell skill set.  That’s an All Pro combo (where the lack of speed is the one weakness that could limit Jewell’s ceiling but he's so good in all other facets, I'm confident he will succeed - just may never be an elite player - which for a Rd4 pick, is still a fine result). 

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

@lomaxgrUK @Broncofan

Loved seeing him fly around the ball, but I struggle picking thngs up when watching a game live. I will have to look back at the tape.

Thats a shame. I feel bad for Manny.

That said, he's just one of 53 in the ultimate team sport. Time for one (all) of the kids to step up. We've been sustaining lots of injuries this year and haven't really missed a beat. Lets hope that keeps up. 

Losing Harris and Manny in the same week will provide quite a challenge to our coaching staff.

Lamar Jackson is only 19 years old and I would of loved to see him and lindsay in our backfield with royce. We could of had a nasty offense. And jackson is only gonna get better. I just think a heavy running team in todays nfl can go far. Teams just aren't adept to stop the run for 60 minutes.  I'll  be interested to see what Baltimore does the rest of the way.

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Lamar Jackson is only 19 years old and I would of loved to see him and lindsay in our backfield with royce. We could of had a nasty offense. And jackson is only gonna get better. I just think a heavy running team in todays nfl can go far. Teams just aren't adept to stop the run for 60 minutes.  I'll  be interested to see what Baltimore does the rest of the way.

I think Lamar is 21...but yeah. I mean he almost beat KC in Arrowhead. Definitely not great as a passer yet, but he has the talent and will be developing. Would be extremely exciting if he was on our team moving forward. But not an Elway guy...