Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

I'm not sure Lamar will ever be a good QB. I hope he will be, but as a passer he definitely has a long way to go. But replacing that big stiff Joe Flacco for a guy with Lamar's wheels is just good for the league. If you're not going to have a great QB, at least have an entertaining one. 

39 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm not sure Lamar will ever be a good QB. I hope he will be, but as a passer he definitely has a long way to go. But replacing that big stiff Joe Flacco for a guy with Lamar's wheels is just good for the league. If you're not going to have a great QB, at least have an entertaining one. 

That's  the beauty of where Baltimore selected Jackson. In order for that to be a successful pick he doesn't need to be a franchise qb. He just needs to be better than flacco and that honestly shouldn't be too hard flacco seems to have checked out mentally since the superbowl. 

Now if Lanar does make strides as a passer its a complete home run pick.  He is making that offense click . So its gonna be exciting if he can keep improving to compensate for the defensive adjustments against him.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Whyd arizona bench Rosen I mean I'm sure he had a bad game but benching him is doing nothing to instill confidence in their future franchise qb they hope. 

Is it possible they might already thinking about moving on from him? They are in good shape for the number 1 pick. Herbert might have more mobility behind that oline. Rosen still has some type of value given the hype around last year's qb class being superior to this one as a whole.

I just don't get benching your guy  this late in the season and you're out of it.

It might be 'cause he was gettin' killed.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I just think it's gonna take a couple off offseasons to fix that line they have soooo many holes, and their weapons still leave a lot to be desired. Rosen will be an injury bust by then just a bad situation. 

They'll do to him what we did to Siemian. In a few years we should be able to get him cheap.

Re: Cam it’s pretty clear he’s playing hurt.  Right up until the PIT game he looked fine physically. The pick 6 he got body slammed, and stayed down, holding his shoulder.  Then in the 2H of the DET game, he left the game for 3-4 plays IIRC with the same problem.   Since then he’s been awful - and his deep ball game and accuracy / placement have steadily worsened from that moment on (before @PIT he was actually showing great improvement this year after working on a leaner training regimen to be less bulky and tightening his upper body mechanics).    

Because he’s an upper body thrower with no leg drive - any upper body injury magnifies his accuracy / placement issues.  There is zero coincidence he is not throwing deep and his placement was beyond awful the last 3-4 games.   The problem is that that’s the same shoulder that he had repaired once before.  So there’s a lot more risk if he needs surgery, especially if it's a reconstruction.  

I think it’s a lock Cam needs another scope - the issue is if he needs a cleanup or a full reconstruction.  A 2nd surgery requiring reconstruction is a huge deal.   Luck has come back to be very effective but he’s doing it in a much different way now pre-surgery.  Luck is now a short - intermediate area QB with higher efficiency now (TY Hilton ADOT shows this well its gone from 14+ yds per target to just over 10 - meanwhile Eric Ebron is a fantasy darling not just in the red zone but with the 10-15 yard area target efficiency). Luck has gone from the hard flamethrower with great stuff to the pitcher who can use control and location to dominate.  

Cam could be fine after a 2nd operation with reconstruction this time because in theory it’s not as delayed like Luck’s was, and football throwing doesn’t put nearly the same stress as baseball (where a 2nd shoulder surgery is a career killer).   But if he’s limited physically after surgery this time - can Cam be another finesse player rather than rely on his freakish talent?  That’s a much iffier prop IMO.   Luck was a generational talent who could afford to lose 10 percent of his peak abilities, and smart enough to adapt.   Is Cam that kind of player?  IMO that's a really dicey Q.  Having Cam play with lesser physical tools is a scary prop. 

Cam deserves a fair amount of heat because he only wanted attention when it’s going his way.  You can’t live large winning and then shy away from the media post game when you lose.  He’s earned the black hat perception.   But this issue is a different beast - he’s clearly playing hurt and it’s serious.  But there’s also real risk he’s not going to be the same afterwards.   Look for the team announcing he’s shut down and then how serious the surgery required will be (I’d bet they won’t even know until after it’s done - more an exploratory scope hoping only a minor repair is needed).  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Cam it’s pretty clear he’s playing hurt.  Right up until the PIT game he looked fine physically. The pick 6 he got body slammed, and stayed down, holding his shoulder.  Then in the 2H of the DET game, he left the game for 3-4 plays IIRC with the same problem.   Since then he’s been awful - and his deep ball game and accuracy / placement have steadily worsened from that moment on (before @PIT he was actually showing great improvement this year after working on a leaner training regimen to be less bulky and tightening his upper body mechanics).    

Because he’s an upper body thrower with no leg drive - any upper body injury magnifies his accuracy / placement issues.  There is zero coincidence he is not throwing deep and his placement was beyond awful the last 3-4 games.   The problem is that that’s the same shoulder that he had repaired once before.  So there’s a lot more risk if he needs surgery, especially if it's a reconstruction.  

I think it’s a lock Cam needs another scope - the issue is if he needs a cleanup or a full reconstruction.  A 2nd surgery requiring reconstruction is a huge deal.   Luck has come back to be very effective but he’s doing it in a much different way now pre-surgery.  Luck is now a short - intermediate area QB with higher efficiency now (TY Hilton ADOT shows this well its gone from 14+ yds per target to just over 10 - meanwhile Eric Ebron is a fantasy darling not just in the red zone but with the 10-15 yard area target efficiency). Luck has gone from the hard flamethrower with great stuff to the pitcher who can use control and location to dominate.  

Cam could be fine after a 2nd operation with reconstruction this time because in theory it’s not as delayed like Luck’s was, and football throwing doesn’t put nearly the same stress as baseball (where a 2nd shoulder surgery is a career killer).   But if he’s limited physically after surgery this time - can Cam be another finesse player rather than rely on his freakish talent?  That’s a much iffier prop IMO.   Luck was a generational talent who could afford to lose 10 percent of his peak abilities, and smart enough to adapt.   Is Cam that kind of player?  IMO that's a really dicey Q.  Having Cam play with lesser physical tools is a scary prop. 

Cam deserves a fair amount of heat because he only wanted attention when it’s going his way.  You can’t live large winning and then shy away from the media post game when you lose.  He’s earned the black hat perception.   But this issue is a different beast - he’s clearly playing hurt and it’s serious.  But there’s also real risk he’s not going to be the same afterwards.   Look for the team announcing he’s shut down and then how serious the surgery required will be (I’d bet they won’t even know until after it’s done - more an exploratory scope hoping only a minor repair is needed).  

I love that analogy, well said. Laughing over here at all the pitching comps I can come up with for Keenum. 

• Like 1

Just met the entire Broncos team. Legit awesome guys. Couple things: John Elway is a lot taller than you expect. And Todd Davis is hilarious. Also, Andy Janovich is ENORMOUS. He's bigger than their linebackers. 

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 3