Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Great deal for Miami

He got such a raw deal. But I do get it from Arizona's perspective, especially with Keim on thin ice. They had to do something big to buy some time for the regime if nothing else. 

I really think we don't talk enough about how much job security affects team building. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Great deal for Miami

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He got such a raw deal. But I do get it from Arizona's perspective, especially with Keim on thin ice. They had to do something big to buy some time for the regime if nothing else. 

I really think we don't talk enough about how much job security affects team building. 

Plus their hire of Kingsbury Murray was the fit for what they wanted to do.  

Honestly the mistake with Keim was the HC/OC hire of McCoy.   We gave Vance 2 years and he didn’t do it.  When a coach fires the OC 5 games in and the HC 1 year in it’s actually as much if not more on the GM than it is on the HC.  I actually think the McCoy hire doomed Wilks most of all there.   Keim is lucky he’s still got a job.  

On the flip side new MIA GM was thinking of trading 2.48.  Then got creative and traded back to 2.62 and got a 2020 2nd  - and still got Rosen once Lock was picked. He used the leverage of being the only buyer masterfully.   Unlike his predecessor Mike Tannenbaum, new GM Chris Grier looks like he knows how to maximize value for picks and cap space in trades for the market.   The days of MIA getting fleeced in deals and in cap hell while being mediocre  may be coming to an end.  Good for the MIA fans  they’ve suffered a lot under Tannenbaum. 

Edited by Broncofan

Wasn’t a fan of Rosen last year, and my biggest concerns (injury risk, doesn’t love the game, isn’t a locker room guy, does all the little things wrong that earns him the moniker of a coach killer) were only verified. 

Good on the cardinals for recognizing that and getting something in return. That being said I still believe that both Murray and KK will be out of the league before Murray’s second contract. (Even though they will surprise people this year until the league catches up)

From a sports / sci-fi & fantasy nerd perspective I don’t know if this weekend from Thu night on can ever be matched: 

-NFL draft

-Avengers Endgame opening with 1.2B globally and records everywhere.   A++ masterpiece ending to the 22-movie arc. 

-GoT ep3 longest ever continuous battle scene ever on TV / movies (no spoilers for the others lol).

-Playoffs & baseball as icing on the cake 

What a 75 hour run.   

Edited by Broncofan

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

From a sports / sci-fi & fantasy nerd perspective I don’t know if this weekend from Thu night on can ever be matched: 

-NFL draft

-Avengers Endgame opening with 1.2B globally and records everywhere.   A++ masterpiece ending to the 22-movie arc. 

-GoT ep3 longest ever continuous battle scene ever on TV / movies (no spoilers for the others lol).

-Playoffs & baseball as icing on the cake 

What a 75 hour run.   

Mainly Nuggets winning game 7 though

• Like 1

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I seem to be the only one not panning the Giants for the Daniel Jones pick. I have no clue how good of a player he is, so I guess that's an issue.

However, too many people keep saying, "you could've moved down a few spots and then taken him, or taken him at #17". If you're sold on a QB at #17, why are you not sold on him at #6? If you know in your head that this is your QBOTF, why risk someone else pinching him by getting greedy for extra picks?

I've no problem with people moaning that he isn't any good because I can't dispute that with any credence; I just think the, "YOU COULD'VE GOT HIM AT #17 INSTEAD" argument is a tad silly when it comes to the QB position.

43 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I seem to be the only one not panning the Giants for the Daniel Jones pick. I have no clue how good of a player he is, so I guess that's an issue.

However, too many people keep saying, "you could've moved down a few spots and then taken him, or taken him at #17". If you're sold on a QB at #17, why are you not sold on him at #6? If you know in your head that this is your QBOTF, why risk someone else pinching him by getting greedy for extra picks?

I've no problem with people moaning that he isn't any good because I can't dispute that with any credence; I just think the, "YOU COULD'VE GOT HIM AT #17 INSTEAD" argument is a tad silly when it comes to the QB position.

Most of my criticism is about the player (nothing about him impresses me) but Gettleman is doing himself no favors with the "we know two teams behind us would have taken him" line. If he was your guy, just say that and you don't have to say anything else. Otherwise it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a bad pick. He really makes himself an easy target whenever he opens his mouth. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Most of my criticism is about the player (nothing about him impresses me) but Gettleman is doing himself no favors with the "we know two teams behind us would have taken him" line. If he was your guy, just say that and you don't have to say anything else. Otherwise it sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into a bad pick. He really makes himself an easy target whenever he opens his mouth. 

Plus, he's openly dismissed metrics.  Which OK, that's your opinion.  But it makes him appear very close-minded and a dinosaur when the game is changing. Contrast Elway, who said last year he started bringing in metrics guys because successful teams were using it, and after seeing the early returns, Elway said in the post-draft presser that he'd incprporate more skills-based and metrics based analysis in 2019, rather than his old "looks great in a workout room, but needs development' skill set he routinely took on Day 2.

And, not only does Gettleman makes comments like completely dismissing a tool that others are using and succeeding with, he then makes comments that show he doesn't realize which conference Haskins was playing in (Big 12 instead of Big 10).  Plus, what finally convinced him to fall in love with Jones - 3 series in the Senior Bowl - an exhibition game.  Add in the 2-teams-were clearly going to take him between 6 and 17 comments, it just makes it look like other teams played Gettleman.

Gettleman does a really good job of bringing the criticism - when you just mock methods that more successful orgs are using, and then make the statements he makes....he leaves the door wide open for the criticism that he's out of touch with the game today.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Totally agree with all of this. I've heard so many people in the media talk about how much Gettleman is turning people off of late. 

On 4/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Here's the thing too, if Gettleman thinks he's the long-term answer at QB, then pick him when you're sure you can get him. Like you, I'm not sure if he will pan out or not but if I was in Gettleman's shoes and certain that Jones is the guy, I probably would have done the same thing. 

The other part of this whole equation is that Jones is the perfect QB to sit for a year and learn behind Eli. They are very, very similar players and both have the Cutcliffe tutelage. The Giants are a buttoned-up, white-collar, conservative organization, a guy likes Jones - who checks every box from a character/mental side of the game standpoint - is precisely the type of QB that fits that organization's culture, in the same vein that O'Dell Beckham Jr. very much did not fit it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here's the thing too, if Gettleman thinks he's the long-term answer at QB, then pick him when you're sure you can get him. Like you, I'm not sure if he will pan out or not but if I was in Gettleman's shoes and certain that Jones is the guy, I probably would have done the same thing. 

The other part of this whole equation is that Jones is the perfect QB to sit for a year and learn behind Eli. They are very, very similar players and both have the Cutcliffe tutelage. The Giants are a buttoned-up, white-collar, conservative organization, a guy likes Jones - who checks every box from a character/mental side of the game standpoint - is precisely the type of QB that fits that organization's culture, in the same vein that O'Dell Beckham Jr. very much did not fit it. 

Again, though, a HUGE problem is that Gettleman didn't try to justify the Jones pick that way (our grade is he's a franchise QB, end of discussion)  - he hammered home that he knew 2 teams would take Jones ahead of him at 17.  That shouldn't have been even an answer.    Add in the part where he admitted that he used the Senior Bowl's first 3 drives to cement his love for Jones as the top QB in this draft on his board, and the fact he didn't realize OSU plays in the Big 10, not Big 12 (kind of a huge diff if you are evaluating QB's)...well, it's a horrible look for Gettleman, and fully deserved.  Especially when he goes out of his way to mock metrics (not just saying he doesn't use them, but mocking them).

It's one thing to believe in a guy, even if others don't.  But every time Gettleman opens his mouth, he leaves himself open to even more belief he's stuck in the past, can't adapt, and now is out of his league as a GM.   He may in fact be 100 percent right on Jones - but he's not doing himself any favors each time he speaks like he does above, and did with Jones.  It doesn't give much faith he's right on Jones, given literally everything he says speaks to a guy who's really out of touch with today's NFL.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Again, though, a HUGE problem is that Gettleman didn't try to justify the Jones pick that way (our grade is he's a franchise QB, end of discussion)  - he hammered home that he knew 2 teams would take Jones ahead of him at 17.  That shouldn't have been even an answer.    Add in the part where he admitted that he used the Senior Bowl's first 3 drives to cement his love for Jones as the top QB in this draft on his board, and the fact he didn't realize OSU plays in the Big 10, not Big 12 (kind of a huge diff if you are evaluating QB's)...well, it's a horrible look for Gettleman, and fully deserved.  Especially when he goes out of his way to mock metrics (not just saying he doesn't use them, but mocking them).

It's one thing to believe in a guy, even if others don't.  But every time Gettleman opens his mouth, he leaves himself open to even more belief he's stuck in the past, can't adapt, and now is out of his league as a GM.   He may in fact be 100 percent right on Jones - but he's not doing himself any favors each time he speaks like he does above, and did with Jones.  It doesn't give much faith he's right on Jones, given literally everything he says speaks to a guy who's really out of touch with today's NFL.

Well, yeah, from a PR perspective it's been handled terribly.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

While I''m with you his terrible persuasion sales pitch, I'm not sold on the argument about picking your guy @#6 vs #17. Elway obviously wanted Lock, a QBOTF, and with that argument should have taken him at #10...but he didn't. He got value from ALL his early round picks, unlike Gettleman. It's like saying, we had a guy pegged as a 5th rounder but we went ahead a took him with the #1 overall pick because you never know what can happen in a draft.

• Like 3