Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

You just sold me Minkah and a 5th for a second. He got burned twice by a rookie Hollywood brown

Rough couple of snaps against Hollywood for sure, but he only gave up 1 TD last year and had one of the lowest passer ratings in coverage. Nick Saban's all-time favorite player to coach and a "culture" guy. 

The Dolphins have been messing around with Minkah, playing him damn near everywhere but DT. He wants a more defined role. Whether it's as a corner, nickel or safety, he's another foundational piece. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Rough couple of snaps against Hollywood for sure, but he only gave up 1 TD last year and had one of the lowest passer ratings in coverage. Nick Saban's all-time favorite player to coach and a "culture" guy. 

The Dolphins have been messing around with Minkah, playing him damn near everywhere but DT. He wants a more defined role. Whether it's as a corner, nickel or safety, he's another foundational piece. 

I hear you and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'd be more comfortable giving up a 3rd and change. Kareem Jackson is arguably the consensus best first round db Alabama has had go to the pros to date . Dre Kirkpatrick, Dee Milliner, Mark Barron, Marlon Humphrey good up and coming cb, Ha Ha clinton Dix.

Is it just because of multiple positions or he doesn't want to do the dirty work? A Safety/ nickel corner seems ideal for him with his size.

If he's all that I see no reason a team like New England, Philly, Baltimore with the aging Malcolm Jenkins, blah Jimmy Smith wouldn't give up a first in that case I'd be out. A second is tempting.

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I hear you and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'd be more comfortable giving up a 3rd and change. Kareem Jackson is arguably the consensus best first round db Alabama has had go to the pros to date . Dre Kirkpatrick, Dee Milliner, Mark Barron, Marlon Humphrey good up and coming cb, Ha Ha clinton Dix.

Is it just because of multiple positions or he doesn't want to do the dirty work? A Safety/ nickel corner seems ideal for him with his size.

If he's all that I see no reason a team like New England, Philly, Baltimore with the aging Malcolm Jenkins, blah Jimmy Smith wouldn't give up a first in that case I'd be out. A second is tempting.

It's the hybrid S/LB role that he seems opposed to. He's closer to a corner than a linebacker physically. He definitely prefers corner and that would make more sense given our roster construction. I think he's a plug-and-play difference maker at nickel. 

I don't even think a 1st is in play. The way this is being reported, unless the team works it out with Minkah they'll probably take a 2nd. 

43 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's the hybrid S/LB role that he seems opposed to. He's closer to a corner than a linebacker physically. He definitely prefers corner and that would make more sense given our roster construction. I think he's a plug-and-play difference maker at nickel. 

I don't even think a 1st is in play. The way this is being reported, unless the team works it out with Minkah they'll probably take a 2nd. 

So will he be the type of player that is opposed to the challenge of covering an elite TE like Talib (similar size)did for us with Gronk which was crucial to win those meetings coming from the Patriot way. Scat Back James white neutralizer when needed.

Or he strictly doesn't wanna be in the box as much as he is? I just feel right now nothing is coming from Miami bc they want to maximize value for Minkah. You're getting one side of the narrative whether it's right or wrong.

Do some digging before you make that trade. I don't want to trade a second for a rich mans Su'a Cravens. The " culture" at Alabama was already implemented. He'd have to be a part of implementing it here.

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

So will he be the type of player that is opposed to the challenge of covering an elite TE like Talib (similar size)did for us with Gronk which was crucial to win those meetings coming from the Patriot way. Scat Back James white neutralizer when needed.

Or he strictly doesn't wanna be in the box as much as he is? I just feel right now nothing is coming from Miami bc they want to maximize value for Minkah. You're getting one side of the narrative whether it's right or wrong.

Do some digging before you make that trade. I don't want to trade a second for a rich mans Su'a Cravens. The " culture" at Alabama was already implemented. He'd have to be a part of implementing it here.

Nothing like Su'a as a player though. I guess both have shown they're talented blitzers but outside of that you're really comparing a linebacker to a corner. Minkah needs to work in space and be able to break on routes. Great fit anywhere in the secondary here. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:55 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Are comp picks based on production? I thought it was contract size?

On 9/13/2019 at 7:59 AM, thebestever6 said:

I know it's contract size and making the roster of the new team. So we should get one for shaq and garcia. 

Not sure how production factors in it should imo.

It’s based on contract paid, games started AND pro bowl award.   Games started is why we didn’t get a comp pick for Osweiler.  But it’s a net effect - the guys we bring in for big money cancel out anyone we lose.   

We signed James & Callahan to big money.  Unless they don’t start for the minimum number of games required in the formula (no idea what it is), they will easily cancel out losing Barrett (although a Pro Bowl could help but again it’s unlikeky we gain an end of 3rd pick, the net effect even if James & Callahan miss time unless it’s the majority of the season, that  is going to devalue us in terms of the comp pick pecking order). 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s based on contract paid, games started AND pro bowl award.   Games started is why we didn’t get a comp pick for Osweiler.  But it’s a net effect - the guys we bring in for big money cancel out anyone we lose.   

We signed James & Callahan to big money.  Unless they don’t start for the minimum number of games required in the formula (no idea what it is), they will easily cancel out losing Barrett (although a Pro Bowl could help but again it’s unlikeky we gain an end of 3rd pick, the net effect even if James & Callahan miss time unless it’s the majority of the season, that  is going to devalue us in terms of the comp pick pecking order). 

Which explains why NE always do so well in comp picks, because they rarely sign big money free agents.