Sign in to follow this  
AnAngryAmerican

Random Thoughts

35 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Saw a name I haven't heard since 2012 Justin Bannan. Running from the Russian mafia with white powder. Gosh, hope it's not cte.

Charged with attempted murder. I work a street down from where he shot that woman. Was pretty crazy seeing the police response. I thought it would be a domestic incident but apparently he was high on cocaine and hiding from the Russian Mafia. CTE defense incoming. 

23 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Now Keenan Allen is on the block if Chargers lose Sunday.  I don't know what to route for lol.

Free Mike Williams! 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Now Keenan Allen is on the block if Chargers lose Sunday.  I don't know what to route for lol.

I doubt there is any truth to that.   Allen & Henry is their entire core.   They will sell Allen only when Rivers is gone and even then maybe never.  His contract is a ridiculous bargain at 10M base salary per year for 2020-21.  

LAC lost 5 pro bowl players and 7 starters to begin the year.   They are getting Okung back now (active next week) after Henry returned and they will get Melvin Ingram back likely next week & Derwin James back in Nov-Dec.   That isn’t a team that is looking to sell for 2020.   Not until Rivers is done.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I doubt there is any truth to that.   Allen & Henry is their entire core.   They will sell Allen only when Rivers is gone and even then maybe never.  His contract is a ridiculous bargain at 10M base salary per year for 2020-21.

I thought that at first but 2-5 is 2-5. Maybe Rivers can't bring the juice anymore. Or maybe the injuries early in Allen's career might catch up to him down the line. Or a combination of both while depending on what they can get.

Maybe this gm for then is smarter than always banking on the second half run. They seem like an ideal spot for a Fromm.

Bargain players have the most value at the deadline if Tate went for a 3rd Allen might command a second and change.

Edited by thebestever6

32 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought that at first but 2-5 is 2-5. Maybe Rivers can't bring the juice anymore. Or maybe the injuries early in Allen's career might catch up to him down the line. Or a combination of both while depending on what they can get.

Maybe this gm for then is smarter than always banking on the second half run. They seem like an ideal spot for a Fromm.

Bargain players have the most value at the deadline if Tate went for a 3rd Allen might command a second and change.

There is literally zero chance Allen is being traded for a 2nd.  Zero.  He’s going nowhere.   Rivers is their guy.  Until he’s done they are in win now mode.   Unlike us they actually have the roster talent.   Just can’t stay healthy.    But their guys are all coming back.   

You are suggesting that with KC missing Mahomes for 4-6 weeks minimum and maybe longer that LAC is going to think let’s rebuild for 2021?   Allen is signed cheaply until after 2021.  Trading him means they don’t think they can contend in 2020-21.   That’s downright delusional.    

Edited by Broncofan

Every year you have Rivers should be treated as Super Bowl or bust because once that awful franchise loses its quarterback, it's going to be back to the gutter for who knows how long. 

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You are suggesting that with KC missing Mahomes for 4-6 weeks minimum and maybe longer that LAC is going to think let’s rebuild for 2021?   Allen is signed cheaply until after 2021.  Trading him means they don’t think they can contend in 2020-21.   That’s downright delusional.    

No rebuild for 2020 depending what they can get for him. Is it worth keeping him to get to 8-8 at a 2-5 record? Wr they can find and replace via draft or free agency.  I think you're overrating Keenan Allen in current form imo. It's not some outlandish rumor the more you think about it. How many teams come back from 2-5 with a late 30s qb to make the playoffs?

At 2-5 they can write off this season, or sell on Keenan Allen and trade for a lesser wr and use the capital gained to get their qbotf in the 2020 draft.

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Every year you have Rivers should be treated as Super Bowl or bust because once that awful franchise loses its quarterback, it's going to be back to the gutter for who knows how long. 

I think their new gm is decent as far as the rest of the organization I stopped following once they left San Diego. 

Normally I would agree but 2-5 with a late 30s qb is what it is.

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No rebuild for 2020 depending what they can get for him. Is it worth keeping him to get to 8-8 at a 2-5 record? Wr they can find and replace via draft or free agency.  I think you're overrating Keenan Allen in current form imo. It's not some outlandish rumor the more you think about it. How many teams come back from 2-5 with a late 30s qb to make the playoffs?

At 2-5 they can write off this season, or sell on Keenan Allen and trade for a lesser wr and use the capital gained to get their qbotf in the 2020 draft.

I think their new gm is decent as far as the rest of the organization I stopped following once they left San Diego. 

Normally I would agree but 2-5 with a late 30s qb is what it is.

You are missing the point completely - LAC sees themselves as a 2019, 2020 and 2021 contender as long as Rivers is their QB and they have their core.  Allen is a piece of that core.  

No team that is in the middle of a win now window is selling their core WR.   Let alone one who is signed well below market prices for 2020/21.  Period.  It doesn’t matter if they are 2-5 now.  They will still go for it now - and think 2020-21 is fine and 2019 happened due to losing 5 Pro Bowlers and 7 starters total for the first half.  And it would be absolutely the correct take.   Selling a core piece cheaply signed for 2020-21 doesn’t fit with their window.   Let alone the absurd notion it would be for a 2nd round pick. .  

The scenario you keep raising implies LAC isn’t a legit 2020-21 contender.  It’s wildly delusional to think LAC sees it that way.  Certifiable.  

Edited by Broncofan

37 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Let alone the absurd notion it would be for a 2nd round pick. .  

The scenario you keep raising implies LAC isn’t a legit 2020-21 contender.  It’s wildly delusional to think LAC sees it that way.  Certifiable.  

I said a second and change to clarify I think 2 seconds would be enough for them to give up on this season. 2nd and a 3rd is borderline. You have a large chance of being right.  All I'm saying is I could see some truth to that rumor. If they win Sunday it literally is a moot point so as is it's certifiable lol.

Chargers face key injuries yearly.  There's a reason they're called the ChargIRs. If they identify a qb in this draft as their QBOTF is makes 100% perfect sense if they lose this week.

Plus @Broncofan you said the 2020 draft is loaded at wr. That could be factoring into their logic.

I get Keenan is a cheap talented core piece. But with a loss this weekend, and the value of Allen may make them reconsider their stance on the timeline. Or, the idea of getting multiple pieces to develop at different positions.  Their timeline can be changed that's why I'm half rooting for them to win.

Rookie wrs are cheap too.

Edited by thebestever6

26 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Plus @Broncofan you said the 2020 draft is loaded at wr. That could be factoring into their logic.

I get Keenan is a cheap talented core piece. But with a loss this weekend, and the value of Allen may make them reconsider their stance on the timeline. Or, the idea of getting multiple pieces to develop at different positions.  Their timeline can be changed that's why I'm half rooting for them to win.

Rookie wrs are cheap too.

A rookie WR takes time. It doesn’t replace a #1 WR.   It’s perfect for us because we  don’t need a #1 WR and we aren’t legitimate 2020 contenders. 

Allen is elite now and cheap.  No team with Rivers at QB is trading their #1 WR signed at below market prices.  When Rivers is done or Allen is in his final year sure.  Now is just plain delusional.     It’s not even far fetched or unlikely.    

Look up for any in-season trade involving a WR at his peak and signed cheaply on a contender for years to come.   It won’t take long.   

I don’t say this lightly - the LOTR movies have less of a fantasy basis than this scenario.   

Edited by Broncofan

34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Allen is elite now and cheap.  No team with Rivers at QB is trading their #1 WR signed at below market prices.  When Rivers is done or Allen is in his final year sure.  Now is just plain delusional.     It’s not even far fetched or unlikely.    

Look up for any in-season trade involving a WR at his peak and signed cheaply on a contender for years to come.   It won’t take long.   

I don’t say this lightly - the LOTR movies have less of a fantasy basis than this scenario.   

What's LOTR??  I'm off on the lingo. Oh crap I only saw the first one lol.

Why's in season or offseason matter? The closest trade I can think of recently was OBJ but he wasn't signed cheaply and it was the offseason.  I don't see Rivers in practice every day, but going all in on a 37 year old qb at the position is stupid to me especially if they get to 2-5.

Why make it turn into the eli Manning situation in New York? Rivers at 38 isn't going to get better. 

Edited by thebestever6

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

What's LOTR??  I'm off on the lingo. Oh crap I only saw the first one lol.

Why's in season or offseason matter? The closest trade I can think of recently was OBJ but he wasn't signed cheaply and it was the offseason.  I don't see Rivers in practice every day, but going all in on a 37 year old qb at the position is stupid to me especially if they get to 2-5.

Why make it turn into the eli Manning situation in New York? Rivers at 38 isn't going to get better

Again - LAC is a win now contender with Rivers.   They won 12 games last year with  the same core - they just got decimated this year with injuries to 5 Pro Bowl guys and 7 starters all at the same time.  They will not re-tool for the future until Rivers is done.    

They lost 5 pro bowl players to start this year.  All of whom a full recovery is expected.    Everyone that’s a core player but Hunter Henry is back for 2020 and Henry likely stays.   Letting MG3 walk probably helps them more than splitting time with Ekeler & not using min wage Jackson. Rivers and LA FO have already said they are getting an extension done.  

Stop wasting time on a mid season trade scenario with Allen.  It’s not happening for rebuilding purposes.   Rivers doesn’t have to be better.  Their window is now and every year Rivers plays until he shows he’s Eli.  That hasn’t happened yet so they aren’t changing direction.   Moving on.