Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

11 hours ago, French Fan said:

The last time the best attack met the best defense? Denver / Seattle.
If we respect the saying "attack wins games defense titles" then SF wins.
Now we have seen KC twice coming back from the start of catastophic matches.

They shouldn't think it can happen all the time. I remain impressed by this defensive squad of SF.

But if they want to win (SF) I would advise them to score at least 30 points

I am picking SF and I do believe they will win. That said, I believe the SB48 comparison is inapt. 

Primarily, as we saw from Peyton teams over his entire career, when things went badly they very, very often went spectacularly badly. He would game plan in a very precise, very specific manner and when that got blown up, especially early, the team turned into a football version of the Hindenburg. 

I think the Maholmes/Reid/Biennemy offense is so much more adaptable. I think the Niners win as they’re deeper and more complete, but the Broncos/Seahawks comparison is not on point. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I am picking SF and I do believe they will win. That said, I believe the SB48 comparison is inapt. 

Primarily, as we saw from Peyton teams over his entire career, when things went badly they very, very often went spectacularly badly. He would game plan in a very precise, very specific manner and when that got blown up, especially early, the team turned into a football version of the Hindenburg. 

I think the Maholmes/Reid/Biennemy offense is so much more adaptable. I think the Niners win as they’re deeper and more complete, but the Broncos/Seahawks comparison is not on point. 

I'm on SF too, but KC won't get crushed like we did vs. SEA for 2 other reasons, besides the KC O being more adaptable:

1.  Mahomes being such a creator on his own, he will make at least 3-4 plays on his own that will leave us shaking our head - Bosa or a DL has him dead to rights, a no-look throw, a look-off throw, etc.   When SEA figured out our O, PFM couldn't do anything on his own.   Mahomes can obviously create magic on his own, so big diff there.

2.  KC's D isn't elite, but it's actually serviceable.   Their biggest weakness of run D will get challenged by SF obviously, but they did a good job of countering TEN, who had the same idea...and a 10-0 lead, then a 17-7 lead.  

3.  KC's so good on ST's.  That matters a ton in close games.

I'm still on SF, and I think the narrative that the SF O can't keep up if KC scores 24+ pts that's being pushed by some KC fans is pretty laughable.   JimmyG is clearly the weak link on SF but that's because their run game & receiving weapons are so good to begin with.   He could absolutely be the difference that gives the game to KC, but to pretend like SF can't keep up if KC does score...jeez, that's ridiculous IMO.   I'm looking forward to a classic SB matchup.

Reid/Biennemy are going to pull out every stop to get an early lead and take the Niners away from their run-first, dictate the terms game-plan. Kyle knows that and thus I would wager, heavily, on him pulling out a few tricks very early to get the Niners to match whatever Reid has planned early on. Then, in a battle of fronts, the Niners win. Kyle’s team has a decided advantage as they can win in different ways. The Chiefs’ hopes rest on Maholmes and, as (older) Broncos fans know, even a multi-faceted, generational talent at QB can only take you so far. 

The more I think about it and the more I dig down, the more excited I get for this super bowl. Last year McVay wilted and was so out of his depth against BB, despite having a far superior roster. That won’t happen this time, I think we will have one for the ages. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Reid/Biennemy are going to pull out every stop to get an early lead and take the Niners away from their run-first, dictate the terms game-plan. Kyle knows that and thus I would wager, heavily, on him pulling out a few tricks very early to get the Niners to match whatever Reid has planned early on. Then, in a battle of fronts, the Niners win. Kyle’s team has a decided advantage as they can win in different ways. The Chiefs’ hopes rest on Maholmes and, as (older) Broncos fans know, even a multi-faceted, generational talent at QB can only take you so far. 

The more I think about it and the more I dig down, the more excited I get for this super bowl. Last year McVay wilted and was so out of his depth against BB, despite having a far superior roster. That won’t happen this time, I think we will have one for the ages. 

The 49ers have the most talented roster, top to bottom, both sides of the ball, in the NFL and by quite a large margin (John Lynch has done a tremendous job, but the 49ers have also went 100% all in this year for this opportunity which when you get the shot you take it, but SF looks VERY different next season and doesn’t have a top 10 pick which they’re accustomed too) I honestly think it’s as physically talented and as a complete a team that I recall ever seeing.  That’s a SB caliber roster with anyone coaching them...factor in Kyle Shanahan and Robert Saleh as the primary coaches on each side of the ball and it makes San Francisco almost unbeatable, IMO.

What makes this so interesting is the 49ers weak link defensively are their DBs and they’re facing the best QB in football with the most explosive WRs in football.

At the end of the day though, I don’t think this is close.  It won’t be a blow out, but SF wins by 10+.  While the weak link of the 49ers is their secondary, the KC OL is also pathetic and SF is throwing 5 1st round picks at them in the front 4 (again the 49ers have absolutely crazy talent across the board) Mahomes has a habit (like Rodgers) of holding onto the ball too long and it won’t work vs the 49ers pash rush.

I think the only chance KC has is if the force/they choke Garappolo (or however you spell it) and the rest of the offense into mistakes....it can happen, from a talent stand point Denver should’ve never topped Carolina in 2015......playing in the SB is different than any other game and the pressure/atmosphere can elevate or destroy a players confidence.

Edited by germ-x

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

As a Lakers fan, I can’t imagine a sadder day. It’s a blessing that Magic is still with us after all these years, but this registers as the most shocking death in a long time for me. What a tragedy.

What strikes me is how much this has affected the young stars.    Kobe was really the idol for a lot of today’s stars. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

What strikes me is how much this has affected the young stars.    Kobe was really the idol for a lot of today’s stars. 

What Jordan was for the Kobe/T-Mac/AI generation, Kobe has been for pretty much everyone since. Even LeBron never personally resonated the way those two did with young basketball players.

• Like 1