Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Not a serious suggestion, but an interesting hypothetical scenario to consider: everything surrounding the Texans franchise feeis so toxic right now. What if Deshaun Watson demands a trade? What if things escalate as Watson and O’Brien clash and the situation becomes Cutler-esque? This a a “player empowerment” era in sports and BOB has sabotaged Watson’s young career. What if BOB feels like he has no choice but to trade him and somehow ownership doesn’t step in at any point in this process and fire him? A starting offer of Lock and 15 with some filler might get you 70-75% there. Bill had the opportunity to see Lock play an outstanding game and show off every tool. If he loves Lock as a prospect, that’s a serious trade chip. 

Obviously it would never happen. But Deshaun Watson, a Munchak O-Line, young mismatches to throw to, and a Fangio defense sprinkled with high level talent would be a scary football team. 

11 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Not a serious suggestion, but an interesting hypothetical scenario to consider: everything surrounding the Texans franchise feeis so toxic right now. What if Deshaun Watson demands a trade? What if things escalate as Watson and O’Brien clash and the situation becomes Cutler-esque? This a a “player empowerment” era in sports and BOB has sabotaged Watson’s young career. What if BOB feels like he has no choice but to trade him and somehow ownership doesn’t step in at any point in this process and fire him? A starting offer of Lock and 15 with some filler might get you 70-75% there. Bill had the opportunity to see Lock play an outstanding game and show off every tool. If he loves Lock as a prospect, that’s a serious trade chip. 

Obviously it would never happen. But Deshaun Watson, a Munchak O-Line, young mismatches to throw to, and a Fangio defense sprinkled with high level talent would be a scary football team. 

Why not just keep Lock who has tremendous upside in his own right? He looks smooth. His footwork looks to be fixed.

Side note - both DET & DEN overplayed their hand in selling Slay & CHJ at last year's deadline.   CHJ's contract won't even count as an end of 4th comp pick, since it's valued at less than 10M AAV so won't be top 20, and Slay's 3rd & 5th return from PHI, a playoff team, comes nowhere close to the 2nd round pick teams were offering at the deadline.  If memory serves correctly, Elway wasn't able to get a 2nd round pick, so he held off.   Obviously even a 3rd or now a 4th would have been a better return.

Obviously we hope DEN isn't a seller at the deadline this upcoming season, but the reminder that sometimes the market doesn't improve from the available price definitely holds here.   I can't fault Elway for the gamble if a 4th was the best offer, but a 3rd would have beaten the best comp pick by a year and by the fact it wasn't at the back end after the normal 32 picks.   Oh well, what's done is done.  

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Side note - both DET & DEN overplayed their hand in selling Slay & CHJ at last year's deadline.   CHJ's contract won't even count as an end of 4th comp pick, since it's valued at less than 10M AAV so won't be top 20, and Slay's 3rd & 5th return from PHI, a playoff team, comes nowhere close to the 2nd round pick teams were offering at the deadline.  If memory serves correctly, Elway wasn't able to get a 2nd round pick, so he held off.   Obviously even a 3rd or now a 4th would have been a better return.

Obviously we hope DEN isn't a seller at the deadline this upcoming season, but the reminder that sometimes the market doesn't improve from the available price definitely holds here.   I can't fault Elway for the gamble if a 4th was the best offer, but a 3rd would have beaten the best comp pick by a year and by the fact it wasn't at the back end after the normal 32 picks.   Oh well, what's done is done.  

I think it should be a lesson to those who oversimplify the comp pick stuff. "Just wait for the comp 3rd" assumes so many things, the chances of it actually playing out in your favor are low. 

• Like 1

Long time no post guys. I backpack for a few months each year to escape the winters in Minny and just had quite the experience trying to get home from a quarantining Philippines. Military checkpoints and all. Actually quite impressive how serious they are taking this virus as a 3rd world country. It was scary entering America from abroad (Finally, after like 8 cancelled flights) and not even getting my temperature taken or being asked questions about travel history. I fear this pandemic is going to hit this country really hard, especially with our 40% obesity rate. Respiratory disease is much deadlier to large people. Not to mention smokers, I am even trying to curb my arguably douchy E-Cigarette habit lol. 

Regardless, its nice to be back here as I quarantine. Plan to dive very deep into this draft now with this time on my hands. Stay safe guys this stuff is going to get really bad IMO. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Long time no post guys. I backpack for a few months each year to escape the winters in Minny and just had quite the experience trying to get home from a quarantining Philippines. Military checkpoints and all. Actually quite impressive how serious they are taking this virus as a 3rd world country. It was scary entering America from abroad (Finally, after like 8 cancelled flights) and not even getting my temperature taken or being asked questions about travel history. I fear this pandemic is going to hit this country really hard, especially with our 40% obesity rate. Respiratory disease is much deadlier to large people. Not to mention smokers, I am even trying to curb my arguably douchy E-Cigarette habit lol. 

Regardless, its nice to be back here as I quarantine. Plan to dive very deep into this draft now with this time on my hands. Stay safe guys this stuff is going to get really bad IMO. 

Agreed. What’s about to happen in NYC is going to absolutely shock this country and is going to happen in cities across the country over the next month.

My son struggles to take a nap so the only time we leave our house is to take a drive to help him fall asleep.  There definitely is less traffic and commotion, but the social distance orders are still not being taken seriously enough.  We live near a Fuzzy’s Taco shop and restaurants can still do carry out/curb side pickup.  Yesterday we drove by and the parking lot was half full, you could see bartenders making drinks, and a good 50 people sitting at tables inside the restaurant waiting for their meals/drinks.  These people should be waiting in their cars and having their meals drinks delivered to them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Welcome back man. Looking forward to hearing your takes on the offseason thus far 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anytime someone complains about Elway as a GM, from now on I'm going to say two words, "Bill O'Brien." 

Shocking that he would trade for someone who used to play in New England. 

Saying he traded for him because he played for NE is a bad take in this case, mostly cause Cooks is the village bicycle and has been passed around a lot now.