Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty clear you are out of your depth here.......  Literally ALL off his solo tackles were for less than 2 yards. Keep hatin'

Easy guy - if he was better than I saw, then I'll gladly revise my call.   But look at the plays, rather than just read off some random stat sheet (BTW, Youtube blocks direct play, you have to open it on Youtube):

Let's break down the plays:

1.  1. Stopping Hunt a 3rd and inches with a 2 yard gain - it's a stack dive play, the goal is to get the first down.   Impressive?  Hardly

2.  Stopping CJ Spiller - run blitz with Bowman and DE both getting free unblocked.  No one beat, just uncovered.  So yeah, give him credit for tackling CJ Spiller...forgive me if I'm unimpressed. 

3.  Stopping Hunt 2 yards from LOS, but Hunt gets 5 yards with YAC.    

4.  "Forcing" Tyreke Hill out of bounds after a 12 yard gain.

5.  Tackling Hill 8 yards downfield on a run.

6.  Stops Hunt at LOC, Hunt gets 3 yards...sure, I'll give that a plus grade. 

7.  The Alex Smith blitz on 3rd and 4 with 5 mins left was a strong play, as already pointed out.  That definitely gets a plus grade.

So, yeah, Bowman does get credit on the Spiller play and the Smith blitz for excellent timing - he timed hitting the gap really well.  But otherwise, I see no shedding of blocks, no getting to guys in open field on his own.   The stat that all of his tackles were within 2 yards is clearly incorrect as well, don't know how that source got it wrong (it does happen, though, which is why the same stat services go back and revise grades all the time) - at least 3 of the 6 solo tackles went for 5+ yards, and as you can see, on 2 of his plays, he was left uncovered or it was a dive play meant to get 1-2 yards.   

Again, though, we don't have to argue the actual numbers you are using - let's look at the actual plays and decide.   Maybe some of us didn't just read a stat sheet, but saw the game, before forming their opinion (but hey, we all know the internet can't be wrong, right?).  And here's the thing - those are the highlights.  What you don't see are the plays where he's got a man on him, who takes him out - which was a good part of KC's success in the run game.   Again, Andy Reid's decision to go away from using K-Hunt  in crucial situations (and for some reason, CJ Spiller), and his reverting to vanilla safe play-calling, had much more to do with the comeback than OAK's D suddenly finding itself because Navarro Bowman is there, which is clearly what you are implying.    If you want to say he's an upgrade over the LB's OAK had in there, that's entirely possible given it's their huge weakness - but I'm not looking at the entire game, and realizing those were the highlights alone, and say I'm impressed.     If the highlights alone show only the best side (and yes, I saw the game in its entirety)...well I'm sure you get the point.

Still, it's entirely fair to say it was week 1 for Bowman and he can be better just by being familiar with the Raiders D scheme - but how about we refrain from the hater calls and stick to actual analysis?  We don't have to agree, but I'll let actual play analysis be my argument.

Edited by Broncofan

Again... he had 3 DAYS to learn a new system and started 97% of the snaps and played well. And will likely be better as he has a full grasp of the defense and his teammates. 

If you don't think an savvy vet like Bowman can bring value to your team, you''re misguided. You'd flip to have Bowman in Denver on a weak LB core. Your original post you said "Bowman was really unimpressive".  What did you expect after 3 days of practice with a new team? I find his performance pretty damn impressive given that alone. He led and called the defense. 

If he was in Denver and gave that performance on short notice, you'd be thrilled given the struggles at LB. You're judging a guy as "being unimpressive" with complete bias. 

@champ11 It's all good lol. 

It's discouraging that the internet nowadays the default answer to a different opinion has to be "hater", and that a Raider fan would immediately think it's automatically hating on a guy to offer a different opinion.   This forum has been nothing but solid in evaluating other players on other teams, and giving them their due...and in being soberingly candid in recognizing our own weaknesses, too.   

It's OK to disagree, and no one is getting everything right or everything wrong - I just wish we'd get a dialogue rather than the callouts.  Either way, though, all good - people don't have to agree.  Moving on.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2017 at 12:20 PM, Broncofan said:

@champ11 It's all good lol. 

It's discouraging that the internet nowadays the default answer to a different opinion has to be "hater", and that a Raider fan would immediately think it's automatically hating on a guy to offer a different opinion.   This forum has been nothing but solid in evaluating other players on other teams, and giving them their due...and in being soberingly candid in recognizing our own weaknesses, too.   

It's OK to disagree, and no one is getting everything right or everything wrong - I just wish we'd get a dialogue rather than the callouts.  Either way, though, all good - people don't have to agree.  Moving on.

He's not the best poster they have over there. A lot of guys with a lot more insight in that forum. 

7 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

@germ-x

How did your game at Missoula go earlier this year? I never asked.

The rivalry between Bozeman and Missoula is in 2 weeks and I can't wait haha

It was awesome.  I've been to games at CU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming, KSU, the college game day opener between 'Bama/Michigan at Cowboy Stadium, and Nebraska.  

The only atmosphere that topped the Missoula game was Nebraskas.  I can't believe Montana allows the fans to leave and come back into the stadium at half time.  Montana stomped Savannah St., but lost their starting QB to a gruesome leg injury, so bad people in the stands had to leave until he was carted off. 

The only draw back is it rained all day the Friday before the game, so we didn't really do any sight seeing.  Just hit up local breweries.  However, the state needed the rain so I wasn't complaining.

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It was awesome.  I've been to games at CU, CSU, Air Force, Wyoming, KSU, the college game day opener between 'Bama/Michigan at Cowboy Stadium, and Nebraska.  

The only atmosphere that topped the Missoula game was Nebraskas.  I can't believe Montana allows the fans to leave and come back into the stadium at half time.  Montana stomped Savannah St., but lost their starting QB to a gruesome leg injury, so bad people in the stands had to leave until he was carted off. 

The only draw back is it rained all day the Friday before the game, so we didn't really do any sight seeing.  Just hit up local breweries.  However, the state needed the rain so I wasn't complaining.

Good I'm glad to hear it.  Griz are our biggest rival but I can't deny the gameday atmosphere at Washington-Grizzly.  That leg injury was horrible. 

26 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Man, Houston sure has been through a lot. Hurricane Harvey, losing Watt, winning the WS and then Watson tearing his ACL the next day.. Yikes.

I think winning the World Series should make up for it all.  It would for me at least.  When the Broncos won the Super Bowl, I was like, "I am good with anything for a few years."