Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

Lol I went back and checked out the 2011 draft threads - boy we really wanted Dareus. Bummer, things worked out okay I guess.

Yep, but Dareus was a monster his first 4 years in the league.  Obviously didn’t have any longevity, but he wasn’t a complete failure. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 4:10 AM, Royal_VT said:

Lol I went back and checked out the 2011 draft threads - boy we really wanted Dareus. Bummer, things worked out okay I guess.

I remember thinking there were 5 sure things in that draft: Newton, Miller, Dareus, Green, and Peterson. I really wanted to trade down to 5 and get whoever was there but ideally Peterson. Then I wanted to trade up from our second rounder to get Phil Taylor.... woops. Safe to say that draft class was stacked though. 

• Like 1

I wish there were better questions reports asked players... Like I want to know how Drew Lock has been spending his offseason! Has he continued to use VR, how much did it help prepare him or was it just a small part of it? 

Or Courtland Sutton made a huge improvement with his hands from year 1 to year 2. Some players struggle with that their whole careers. How was he able to make such a drastic improvement in that area? What drills, etc. did he find most useful??

On that note, I remember Javon Walker saying he used to practice catching by putting half cutout tennis balls on the palms of his hands so he would have to catch with his fingertips. Loved getting that guy and he lit it up year1 with us... I wonder what he's up to.

One more: I remember seeing a video a while ago where TD mentioned he would get better and better as the game would go on because he was able to make decisions on early carrier to set up defenders later on in the game. I wonder what his thoughts are now that the NFL has fully transitioned to a 2RB system. How does he see that affecting how affective running backs are now. Also, along that same line, it has become infrequent for a RB to have more than 300 carriers a year yet career spans for RB haven't extended that much longer than those of the early 2000s. Players like AP, MJD, Steven Jackson, Portis, LT, Edgerrin James were frequently very near or above 300 carriers yet their careers spanned a long while. What has changed? are defensive players getting bigger and faster leading to more violent collisions? 

WHAT ARE THE ANSWERS! 

How are those for random thoughts ;)

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

For the past few years I would have no argument against the Chargers or even Raiders being picked ahead of us but I think we are clearly the #2 in this division. A big gap between 1 and 2, but 2 nonetheless. 

I don't know if it's clear.  The Chargers and Raiders have some nice pieces.  However, so do the Broncos.  If the players the offensive players the Broncos drafted this year pan out, the only weakness for this offense sits at LT, and maybe RT.  And, if Bolles gets it together, he could be a solid LT.  He played well with Drew in there for five games, until the last game when he lost it mentally.  I am not sure how you can cover up for a guy who can actually cost you a game like he almost did in the Raiders' game.  

I don't know if it's clear.  The Chargers and Raiders have some nice pieces.  However, so do the Broncos.  If the players the offensive players the Broncos drafted this year pan out, the only weakness for this offense sits at LT, and maybe RT.  And, if Bolles gets it together, he could be a solid LT.  He played well with Drew in there for five games, until the last game when he lost it mentally.  I am not sure how you can cover up for a guy who can actually cost you a game like he almost did in the Raiders' game.  

Ya, I can agree. The season outcome 90% leans on the development of Lock, and after him there is a pretty easy argument that Bolles is the 2nd most important piece in taking that jump to playoff team this upcoming season. 

I have been pessimistic the past 3 seasons or so, but I finally have some hope for this squad. I am swinging the other direction this season, its about time lol

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:03 PM, grizmo78 said:

I wish there were better questions reports asked players... Like I want to know how Drew Lock has been spending his offseason! Has he continued to use VR, how much did it help prepare him or was it just a small part of it? 

Or Courtland Sutton made a huge improvement with his hands from year 1 to year 2. Some players struggle with that their whole careers. How was he able to make such a drastic improvement in that area? What drills, etc. did he find most useful??

On that note, I remember Javon Walker saying he used to practice catching by putting half cutout tennis balls on the palms of his hands so he would have to catch with his fingertips. Loved getting that guy and he lit it up year1 with us... I wonder what he's up to.

One more: I remember seeing a video a while ago where TD mentioned he would get better and better as the game would go on because he was able to make decisions on early carrier to set up defenders later on in the game. I wonder what his thoughts are now that the NFL has fully transitioned to a 2RB system. How does he see that affecting how affective running backs are now. Also, along that same line, it has become infrequent for a RB to have more than 300 carriers a year yet career spans for RB haven't extended that much longer than those of the early 2000s. Players like AP, MJD, Steven Jackson, Portis, LT, Edgerrin James were frequently very near or above 300 carriers yet their careers spanned a long while. What has changed? are defensive players getting bigger and faster leading to more violent collisions? 

WHAT ARE THE ANSWERS! 

How are those for random thoughts ;)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29139332/broncos-drew-lock-working-hard-stay-sharp-lockdown-parents-house

Here are some answers on what Lock has been doing. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Nikki actually asked pretty much the same question I did to him ( Thanks Nikki! ). From what I understood, he liked the VR stuff a lot but he doesn’t have many more scenarios recorded to practice off of so he hasn’t been using it this offseason. Last year they recorded Flacco and he used that but nothing since? If anyone else wants to try and interpret, she asked it in his zoom press conference yesterday. 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

After the Paxton Lynch disaster it’s a real breath of fresh air to have a QB that seems willing to put in the hours needed to be successful in this league. When the building reopens you know he will be the first player in and last player out of Dove Valley.  

I’m really rooting for success for Drew Lock the person as much as for the team. 

• Like 2