Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 8/28/2020 at 9:34 AM, champ11 said:

The Jazz are playing great. And I think Snyder has outcoached Malone, but Malone has been pretty strapped when it comes to personnel. The Nuggets essentially have Jerami Grant as the one playable good defensive player this series. Jokic can be a good defender but not against a spread PnR with the lob threat like Utah. 

The Jazz also can't stop the Nuggets. I think game 2 was pure brilliance by Donovan Mitchell to blow the nuggets out. The Nuggets tried to match Jokic vs Gobert in the paint in game 2 vs Mitchell...and Mitchell (and Clarkson and Conley smh) have just been unconscious shooting wise. The Nuggets switched up their scheme to something that eventually worked in game 5 in game 2 and the Jazz killed it.  I think after game 2 - where Gobert showed he can hang with Jokic in the paint and with Utah drilling threes - nuggets knew they needed Jokic to stay on the perimeter and bomb threes. Missed them in game 4 and they lost. Made them in game 5 and they won.

No excuse for game three for the Nuggets. That was embarrassing.

But for the most part it's a fairly evenly matched series. I think the Jazz are the better team with the matchup and Mitchell playing like mf'ing James Harden on the pull up threes. But if they start to cool off a little bit (like they did in 4th Q game 5) the Nuggets can win the series. Every game should be close. Murray looks like he is also making a major leap. 

Great series and love chopping it up with my guy @jonnyj20 

On 8/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, Joe_is_the_best said:

It's funny how 1 game changes the whole outlook. I was mentally preparing myself for the offseason & now we could have a chance. I think being in the bubble really helps us. We don't need to win a game in a hostile environment.

As a NBA casual fan I have to give props to the Nuggets.   That was a huge character growth series for them.   Although Murray ran ice cold and they blew a 19 pt lead they found a way to win down the stretch (heart nearly stopped when they missed the layup and Conley nearly sent them home).   That 3-1 comeback will help them immeasurably down the line for such a young core    Jokic was clutch game 7 against the top interior defender. 

They match up terribly now but this was a huge growth step for them.   Porter Jr. needs to learn to play D this offseason to take the next step Utah exposed it so badly games 1-3 and sent him to the bench.   More progress on D from him and an offseason  for Bol Bol to catch up to NBA speed and that’s a potential elite top 8 roster that can hang with anyone.   I don’t think they can overcome their gaps next series though but on the right track.  

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Price of LT's just went up. Decker from the Lions just signed for 6/$85, quite a lot for an average, meh, LT.

Well Quinn and Patricia are going to be out of work by January so it'll be someone else's mess to clean up. 

Why owners keep hiring guys from the New England organization continues to baffle me. Joe Judge is already becoming a punchline with the Giants and they haven't played a game yet. SMH.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As a NBA casual fan I have to give props to the Nuggets.   That was a huge character growth series for them.   Although Murray ran ice cold and they blew a 19 pt lead they found a way to win down the stretch (heart nearly stopped when they missed the layup and Conley nearly sent them home).   That 3-1 comeback will help them immeasurably down the line for such a young core    Jokic was clutch game 7 against the top interior defender. 

They match up terribly now but this was a huge growth step for them.   Porter Jr. needs to learn to play D this offseason to take the next step Utah exposed it so badly games 1-3 and sent him to the bench.   More progress on D from him and an offseason  for Bol Bol to catch up to NBA speed and that’s a potential elite top 8 roster that can hang with anyone.   I don’t think they can overcome their gaps next series though but on the right track.  

Me too. I really thought Craig lost the game for us.

Jokic making a terrific shot over Gobert for the go-ahead was icing on the cake.

Honestly MPJ has the tools to be a much better defender. He just needs some time.

I fully expect us to get whomped, so I'm just along for the ride.

1 hour ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Me too. I really thought Craig lost the game for us.

Jokic making a terrific shot over Gobert for the go-ahead was icing on the cake.

Honestly MPJ has the tools to be a much better defender. He just needs some time.

I fully expect us to get whomped, so I'm just along for the ride.

I put $ on Den winning the series so man I was about to throw up watching that sequence lol.  That Conley 3 was halfway down lol.  

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

So the Nuggets have turned a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 win and now the Avalanche have turned a 3-1 deficit into a game 7 decider. Feel good factor in Denver sports right now. 

We cannot do anything the easy way. Remember in 2007 when the Rockies had to win 22 games in a row and a one game playoff to get into the regular playoffs?

On 8/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, champ11 said:

Great series and love chopping it up with my guy @jonnyj20 

Hell of a series. That is exactly the type of series that makes the NBA great, two teams so evenly matched. I'll probably be rooting for the Nuggets the rest of the way because they are the most similar to the Jazz and it will give me hope for next year!

17 minutes ago, jonnyj20 said:

Hell of a series. That is exactly the type of series that makes the NBA great, two teams so evenly matched. I'll probably be rooting for the Nuggets the rest of the way because they are the most similar to the Jazz and it will give me hope for next year!

Evenly matched series ... you said all along it would go seven. Confusing, ugly game 7 but that's how they go. Utah was a hard team to hate - the Rockies teams gotta stick together. 

12 hours ago, paul-mac said:

So the Nuggets have turned a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 win and now the Avalanche have turned a 3-1 deficit into a game 7 decider. Feel good factor in Denver sports right now. 

Yeah but despite squeaking out game 1 the Nuggets were outplayed the first 4 games. The Avalanche have outplayed the stars the whole series but go into 10min lapses where they look like horse 💩 each game. Even the last two games they had 10 min where they were a different team. The other 50 min? The are the aggressor and the ice is tilted in their favor the whole time.