Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Say what you will about fitzmagic, he’s put together a hell of a career. His advanced metrics compare favorably to the likes of Jim Plunckett, Archie Manning, Kenny stabler, and Jim Harbaugh. He’s always been labeled as a stopgap until THE GUY takes over so has been is some just terrible teams, but he’s a damn good QB. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Say what you will about fitzmagic, he’s put together a hell of a career. His advanced metrics compare favorably to the likes of Jim Plunckett, Archie Manning, Kenny stabler, and Jim Harbaugh. He’s always been labeled as a stopgap until THE GUY takes over so has been is some just terrible teams, but he’s a damn good QB. 

I wish we had him over Siemian keenum and Flacco tbh

58 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

He really has had a fascinating career hasn’t he? 

A 7th round pick out of the football factory that is Harvard, he’s played on 8 different teams in 16 years, made over $71.5 million and is raising 7 kids, all of whom were born in different states. I’d love to have a beer with him just to hear the stories he can probably tell. Or if he wrote a tell-all type book about his experiences in the league I’d preorder it the day I could. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He really has had a fascinating career hasn’t he? 

A 7th round pick out of the football factory that is Harvard, he’s played on 8 different teams in 16 years, made over $71.5 million and is raising 7 kids, all of whom were born in different states. I’d love to have a beer with him just to hear the stories he can probably tell. Or if he wrote a tell-all type book about his experiences in the league I’d preorder it the day I could. 

I'd probably just get drunk with him

• Like 1

Throw out week one's ugly loss, and Fitzpatrick was rocking a 109.6 QB rating this season. Really odd timing there. AAA is correct, this was definitely an owner decision and it's too bad. Fitz seems to be a legitimately awesome guy and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere where he can finish out his career in style. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

Throw out week one's ugly loss, and Fitzpatrick was rocking a 109.6 QB rating this season. Really odd timing there. AAA is correct, this was definitely an owner decision and it's too bad. Fitz seems to be a legitimately awesome guy and I hope he lands on his feet somewhere where he can finish out his career in style. 

If that was ownership driven the owner of the dolphins deserves nothing good . That offense was balling out

Who are your top 10 head coaches currently active in the NFL?

I was having this discussion this afternoon with some friends and acquaintances at the bar. Everyone’s list had Belichick, Reid, Payton, Carroll, Tomlin and Harbaugh but after that it got tricky. Rivera, Gruden, Shanahan and McVay got some love but no unanimity.  

So who makes your top 10? Not in any order. But just general top 10.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was having this discussion this afternoon with some friends and acquaintances at the bar. Everyone’s list had Belichick, Reid, Payton, Carroll, Tomlin and Harbaugh but after that it got tricky. Rivera, Gruden, Shanahan and McVay got some love but no unanimity.  

This sounds fun...

Belichick, Reid, Carrol, Shanahan, Payton, // Tomlin, Harbaugh, McVay // Pederson, Zimmer, Vrabel? 

I cheated, that's 11, but man... after the first 5 which i put in tier 1, it got really difficult... 

Payton and Pederson are great HC’s overall - but they get major dings for their irrational love of gadget guys at key moments in game.   Taysom Hill and Jalen Hurts being used at key moments has failed miserably on all but 1 play for NO (vs. LAC) and PHI so far.    It makes the O so predictable.   

Harbaugh & Vrabel stand out as guys who gain win probability with their in game decision making.    Matt Lafleur has really progressed quickly in this regard.    All 3 do a great job in prep work and personnel development and team preparedness.  So they deserve mention in the top tier (Lafleur needs to do it for a little longer to stick).  

BB, Reid, Payton, Pederson, McVay & Shanahan and Gruden excel at identifying weaknesses to exploit pre-game.  Lafleur is getting close.   McVay & Gruden (and pre-Mahomes, Reid) get dinged for being way too conservative and predictable in game.   

Before his Hurts infatuation (and a really bad game in play calling & not getting the challenge flag on the generous 1st down spot that led to 4 more pts last night), I had Pederson, Reid, BB, Harbaugh & Vrabel as the 5 that only help their team in all facets of the game.   I have to take Pederson down a notch.  The others are great overall but there’s one area where they aren’t assets.  

Edited by Broncofan

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Payton and Pederson are great HC’s overall - but they get major dings for their irrational love of gadget guys at key moments in game.   Taysom Hill and Jalen Hurts being used at key moments has failed miserably on all but 1 play for NO (vs. LAC) and PHI so far.    It makes the O so predictable.   

Harbaugh & Vrabel stand out as guys who gain win probability with their in game decision making.    Matt Lafleur has really progressed quickly in this regard.    All 3 do a great job in prep work and personnel development and team preparedness.  So they deserve mention in the top tier (Lafleur needs to do it for a little longer to stick).  

BB, Reid, Payton, Pederson, McVay & Shanahan and Gruden excel at identifying weaknesses to exploit pre-game.  Lafleur is getting close.   McVay & Gruden (and pre-Mahomes, Reid) get dinged for being way too conservative and predictable in game.   

Before his Hurts infatuation (and a really bad game in play calling & not getting the challenge flag on the generous 1st down spot that led to 4 more pts last night), I had Pederson, Reid, BB, Harbaugh & Vrabel as the 5 that only help their team in all facets of the game.   I have to take Pederson down a notch.  The others are great overall but there’s one area where they aren’t assets.  

So, which ones comprise your top 10?

On 10/22/2020 at 9:50 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Belichick, Reid, Payton, Carroll, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Arians, Gruden, Rivera, Vrabel.

The last 2 were tough.  Easily could’ve went Shanahan, McVay, Pederson.  I like what Vrabel is doing in Tennessee, he’s more the Tomlin/Harbaugh type leader who isn’t preoccupied as much with one side of the ball.  He processes the game quickly and has made some tremendous decisions to win football games for Tennessee, did so just last week to save 40 seconds of the game.  

I think in a few years Anthony Lynn will be in this conversation.  Another excellent leader more in the Tomlin/Harbaugh mold.