Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Slightly misleading, given that Cook's new contract averages $12.5m a year, but your point still stands - Cook is a difference maker whereas Gordon is literally a, at very best, average NFL RB that is earning top 10 RB money and he is tied in for next year as well in all likelihood (we save $2.5m if we cut him next year, but leaves $6.5m in dead cap behind).

What's crazy about our Front Office is that the two moves they got most slammed for this calendar year by fans are probably the Gordon signing and Bausby being cut. Both decisions have been bad, which is rather worrying from our FO point of view.

It's also VERY telling that the MG3 signing and Bausby cut were made in the lens of win-now thinking - Bausby for preserving the ST versatility of other guys, and MG3's upgrading pass pro.   My feelings on the total lack of impact MG3 was providing for the resource outlay and for his lack of upgrading the running game over Lindsay are well-known - but once again, Elway's worst moves this past offseason are when he tries to force a win-now move.    Much like trading for Veldheer, and using Von's restructure to sign Clinton McDonald and Tramaine Brock, and fitting in the Veldheer via trade  in 2018, and trading for Flacco in 2019. 

I get at some point you have to enter win-now mode - but Elway's short-sighted moves aimed solely at trying to win for present-year only have been his utter downfall the last 4 seasons.  His drafting and UFA work still is top-notch, but his refusal to look at the team from a rebuilding perspective from 2017-present remain his Achilles.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's also VERY telling that the MG3 signing and Bausby cut were made in the lens of win-now thinking - Bausby for preserving the ST versatility of other guys, and MG3's upgrading pass pro.   My feelings on the total lack of impact MG3 was providing for the resource outlay and for his lack of upgrading the running game over Lindsay are well-known - but once again, Elway's worst moves this past offseason are when he tries to force a win-now move.    Much like trading for Veldheer, and using Von's restructure to sign Clinton McDonald and Tramaine Brock, and fitting in the Veldheer via trade  in 2018, and trading for Flacco in 2019. 

I get at some point you have to enter win-now mode - but Elway's short-sighted moves aimed solely at trying to win for present-year only have been his utter downfall the last 4 seasons.  His drafting and UFA work still is top-notch, but his refusal to look at the team from a rebuilding perspective from 2017-present remain his Achilles.   

I get the thinking with Gordon we had the cap space and you want your green qb to have a run game. Me @broncobruin debated last year I said they're either getting a big free agent rb or drafting one round 3 or earlier. 

The problem I have with Gordon is I didn't hear about him having any other suitors. 8 mill a year was shocking. I expected a Kareem hunt like deal.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I get the thinking with Gordon we had the cap space and you want your green qb to have a run game. Me @broncobruin debated last year I said they're either getting a big free agent rb or drafting one round 3 or earlier. 

The problem I have with Gordon is I didn't hear about him having any other suitors. 8 mill a year was shocking. I expected a Kareem hunt like deal.

Instead of guaranteeing Gordon $13.5M, could’ve waited out the market and given up a 7th to pay Fournette $8.5M. Or signed him for $5M for one year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Not gonna lie I like Drew Lock a ton but still kinda wish he didn't last till us that second year.

I mean Burrow, Herbert, and Tua look legit

There's several very good reason's he lasted that long, Go back pre-draft and read some of the reviews from our posters. We're watching the guy they told us about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

No game thread to throw this in yet, but Calvin Anderson just tweeted an implication that he’s starting on Sunday.

Good! He's the only other OT on the team with LT possibilities. He can't be worse than Rodgers and I've been wanting to see him play.

Looks like 2021 auditions are starting.

So impressed with TEN's play calling.   IND was amped up to stop Derrick Henry - so TEN dials up pass on 1st down for the entire opening drive, easy TD drive.   No doubt they'll go back to Henry later, but it's as if being unpredictable is a good thing......

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

So impressed with TEN's play calling.   IND was amped up to stop Derrick Henry - so TEN dials up pass on 1st down for the entire opening drive, easy TD drive.   No doubt they'll go back to Henry later, but it's as if being unpredictable is a good thing......

Arthur Smith is one of the top HC candidates.  He does have an interesting background.  He’s a former division 1 college offensive lineman, but has NFL experience being a part of or coaching both sides of the ball.  He’s also coached under many well respected guys and somehow lasted at Tennessee.  Oddly there are a **** load of Mike’s,  but at only 38 Smith had coached under Mike Munchak, Mike Mularkey, Mike Vrabel, and Matt Lafleur.  

Really interesting candidate with a lot of different experiences.