Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

15 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Leafly is a good resource of a website too

I tried this I was trying to find what I got last time was real orangey well had those hairs all over it.

I wanna look like Mathew mcounahey in those Lincoln commercials.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Can't believe fax gate happened 8 years ago man I feel old lol.

I still can't remember a crappier way to lose a great Bronco.

The flip side is that we probably never sign Ware in 2014 if we kept then extended Dumervil.   Worked out ok eventually just not a good look that offseason. 

• Like 2

Can someone provide a quick summary of how these restructures are freeing up so much cap? (i.e. CMC, Mahomes, etc.)

Is it as simple as reducing the total contract number by increasing the guaranteed portion?  Or delaying the brunt of the contract to future years?

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Can someone provide a quick summary of how these restructures are freeing up so much cap? (i.e. CMC, Mahomes, etc.)

Is it as simple as reducing the total contract number by increasing the guaranteed portion?  Or delaying the brunt of the contract to future years?

There are 2 types of contract income:

1.   Base salary & roster bonus / performance bonuses - those amounts are applied for the current cap year.   Salaries gets paid over 32 weeks now (instead of prior years, it was 17 weeks of season).   Roster / workout bonuses get paid out on certain dates, specified in the contract.

2.   Signing / restructure bonus - those get paid out right away to the player, but the cap hit is spread out for the life of the contract, to a max of 5 years.    So if you get a 10M restructure bonus, and extend a contract 4 more years - it then gets a 2M cap year for this year, and 2M for each following year.   If the player gets cut next year, the entire 8M that's left  becomes due for the team's cap to subtract - that's what's referred to as "dead money".    

So what you see nowadays - teams that want to reduce the 2021 cap hit have 2 options:

1.  Get player to agree to pay cut.  This rarely happens unless the player's market says he's never coming close to getting the same $ (and to add to the equation - it's not just average salary that players sometimes have to consider, but the guaranteed salary.  In Von's case, if he hits the open market, he's likely to get close to his 18M, but more importantly, will lock in way more guaranteed money than 18M with a multi-year deal - and at his age, that's what matters more).

2.   More regularly, teams restructure a deal - and convert the base salary to a signing bonus.  That's what Elway did in 2018 with Von.   The player still gets the money, and in fact, they get it up front right way - instead of being paid out over the season.   If they don't have extra years to the contract, then it's done with an extension, so the cap hit of the bonus can get spread over more years.

The wrinkle you're seeing this year - voidable years.    This basically means that the future years aren't actually going to be honored.  That's what Taysom Hill got - a 4/140M extension in theory, but all those years void.  It's never going to be used (Saints are just trolling the NFL cap rules publicly).  What it allows for is the Saints to convert his original 2021 11M base salary to a 1.5M base salary (which counts for 2021) and a 9.5M restructure bonus that now spreads over 5 years instead of just 2021.    This ends up saving NO 7.6M this year's cap, and next year if he leaves, they have 7.6M of dead money.   Or if he gets extended with a real contract, they spread the 7.6M left over the next deal's duration.   

Voidable years are just a way for teams to spread a restructure over time so more cap money is saved now.   When the player's deal is void, the rest of the saved money comes due (unless they agree to another contract, then they rinse & repeat).

Hope that helped.... maybe not quick, but accurate lol.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

It's likely going to be expensive, but LAC getting Linsley is a huge move for them.   At 1.13, they're poised to get a top 3 LT, too.   Protecting Herbert by upgrading at least 2, if not 3 positions, and C & T to boot - would be a massive boost to their org's chances to bounce back.   

Telesco's been a strong GM, but his Achilles in OL development has really hurt them.  If he addresses that this year, with HC Lynn and his all-time worst game management (which is saying something with Gase, BOB and Fangio's infamous struggles) - man, they're poised to bounce back strong for 2021.

• Like 1

Gotta say I have no idea what Gruden and Mayock are thinking.   It’s one thing to turn over 1-2 OL spots on a decent to good OL.     Vegas is now turning over 4 spots.   And Hudson has been their anchor.   Trent Brown & Gabe Jackson might have been overpaid but Incognito was cheap and Hudson, WTF.  

On 3/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, Broncofan said:

Gotta say I have no idea what Gruden and Mayock are thinking.   It’s one thing to turn over 1-2 OL spots on a decent to good OL.     Vegas is now turning over 4 spots.   And Hudson has been their anchor.   Trent Brown & Gabe Jackson might have been overpaid but Incognito was cheap and Hudson, WTF.  

Seems it ended up they got a 3rd rounder for Hudson and a 7th. I thought he was released too but the Cards ponied up for a very solid C. 

21 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Can't help but noticing that none of our free agents are attracting a lot of customers,at worst thought Kareem would draw some interest. Do we get a shot at resigning him ?? 

Entirely possible.   Jackson didn’t rule it out either.