Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

51 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Any news on Agim?... Haven't seen him on the injury report (although it started with a groin injury about a month ago). Been inactive every game so far after a promising camp. 

I was wondering the same thing. Every week on the game day inactive list. Hopefully it's just an injury instead of something far more serious, like lack of talent.

15 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

He was being praised throughout camp up until the injury. Has to be something else... 

I expect they’ll phase Agim in at some point. If he isn’t playing by November, questions need to be asked. Right now I think they trust the vet who can spell guys on run downs. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Cowboys just released ILB Jaylon Smith, now there is a pickup I'd like to explore...

Guy has zero football instincts.   He's literally just all tools, and 0 football IQ.    I get the appeal given how little speed we have on the ILB roster, but man, it's painful watching him play.   Always out of position by a ton.

Give him Jewell's brain and his tools, perennial top 5 ILB.   As it stands though, being this bad for this long...man, seems like a lost cause.   If it's a free shot, I get the appeal, but I'd go in with very low (read: no) expectations it will pan out.

26 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Guy has zero football instincts.   He's literally just all tools, and 0 football IQ.    I get the appeal given how little speed we have on the ILB roster, but man, it's painful watching him play.   Always out of position by a ton.

Give him Jewell's brain and his tools, perennial top 5 ILB.   As it stands though, being this bad for this long...man, seems like a lost cause.   If it's a free shot, I get the appeal, but I'd go in with very low (read: no) expectations it will pan out.

Speaking of speed at LB and LB IQ questions, any one heard anything on Browning?

22 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Speaking of speed at LB and LB IQ questions, any one heard anything on Browning?

Sadly no.  I mean as an out of town fan I probably get less info than the locals.   It’s year 1 so that’s not a death sentence.  But the sooner the light comes on the better.  Our ILB lack of athleticism and speed is a major flaw good teams know to exploit. 

51 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

They clearly don’t want him anywhere near the field on defense right now. They managed to get two experienced starters through waivers, that’s pretty good work and means we’re not seeing Browning any time soon, outside of reps on our league worse coverage unit. 

I liked the value of that pick but it’s also the one I’m most expecting to flop. Hasn’t been any positive buzz around the pick since it was made. 

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'd disagree with you, you dont have 3 straight seasons of 121+ tackles over three years with ZERO instincts, that's not blind squirrelling it IMO. He's got (had ?) some speed to his game that could be used by Fangio IMO.

I agree that's it's a low-risk move but could be a high-reward if Fangio can utilize his ILB magic on him

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

I'd disagree with you, you dont have 3 straight seasons of 121+ tackles over three years with ZERO instincts, that's not blind squirrelling it IMO. He's got (had ?) some speed to his game that could be used by Fangio IMO.

I agree that's it's a low-risk move but could be a high-reward if Fangio can utilize his ILB magic on him

It is in his case.   He's able to do "see ball, get ball" type plays.  But that's it.  If it requires any skill beyond chasing, he's not that guy.  At all.  And it's not an opinion - the metrics and eye test bear it out.  He gets the tackles but most of them are now after the player has made a positive play.   He's basically making plays in the 2nd level because he's out of position - his tackling ability is sound, but he's not making the read to stop the play.   

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/9/3/22653269/have-we-already-seen-the-best-of-jaylon-smith-and-leighton-vander-esch-dan-quinn-mike-nolan - 

The key part - his depth of tackle was one of the worst in the NFL at almost 5 yards on runs - in other words, he's out of position and catching guys after they get into the hole / get into the 2nd level.   Again, his tackling is good - and his tools let him catch guys.   But he doesn't get in the right spots.  And that's before we get into his problems with pass coverage - where he's allowed over 75 percent of passes thrown his way to get caught.   Again, this isn't borne out of just opinion, it's metrics and film that show this.   

There's nothing lost if he's a min-wage vet minimum type signing - but this is not a guy to spend real $ on.   In a system where read & react and high football IQ are needed, he won't succeed.  Maybe there's a system that can free him up to be "see ball, get ball" - that's what happened in 2018.   But that path is pretty long for Smith now, given he's not a raw guy unfamiliar with the league, either.

Edited by Broncofan

I didn’t realise how disappointing the record of the Shanahan/Lynch pairing is. Five games into their 5th season and they’re 31-38 in the regular season with 42% of those wins coming in 2019 alone, and no first round picks until 2024 to turn it around.

They’re really living off that superbowl loss season.

Doug Pederson on the other hand went 42-37-1 and WON a superbowl and gets canned for that 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:47 AM, paul-mac said:

I didn’t realise how disappointing the record of the Shanahan/Lynch pairing is. Five games into their 5th season and they’re 31-38 in the regular season with 42% of those wins coming in 2019 alone, and no first round picks until 2024 to turn it around.

Such a great anecdote. Kyle is such a media darling.

LaFleur is 30-7, McVay is 47-22, Stefanski is 14-6, Kingsbury is 18-18, and as you said Shanahan is 31-38.  Not sure any other below .500 coach would’ve had the leash to trade 3 FRPs for a raw prospect like Lance - he NEEDs that to hit, IMO.