Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Ever since Tyreek Hill became, well, Tyreek Hill, the NFL has been trying to copy and find their version. Nobody has succeeded. He's 1 of 1.

People can run 40 yards in a straight line as quick. But they can't run as quick and change direction as quick. They don't have that dawg in them that Hill does.

I have watched all 22 from every single game Hill has played against us (well, since they made all 22 available). Schematically, I think he changes a Defense more than any skill position player in modern NFL history. I mean that.

You simply cannot play single high Safety - that look is gone. So your 1st down run Defense is compromised.

Playing Cover 3 is a huge risk because Hill can run that deep crosser better than anyone in NFL history (pierces the coverage of the deep middle and deep 1/3, creating confusion).

And like everyone knows - if you play Deep Cover 2, it opens up everything underneath for your Kelce's and RBs to feast.

Hill can run every route at every level and like I've said above, changes everything you do defensively and he is not replaceable.

REALLY interested to see how the Chiefs cope without him long term. I don't want to see stats from games he didn't play; it's not the same thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ever since Tyreek Hill became, well, Tyreek Hill, the NFL has been trying to copy and find their version. Nobody has succeeded. He's 1 of 1.

People can run 40 yards in a straight line as quick. But they can't run as quick and change direction as quick. They don't have that dawg in them that Hill does.

I have watched all 22 from every single game Hill has played against us (well, since they made all 22 available). Schematically, I think he changes a Defense more than any skill position player in modern NFL history. I mean that.

You simply cannot play single high Safety - that look is gone. So your 1st down run Defense is compromised.

Playing Cover 3 is a huge risk because Hill can run that deep crosser better than anyone in NFL history (pierces the coverage of the deep middle and deep 1/3, creating confusion).

And like everyone knows - if you play Deep Cover 2, it opens up everything underneath for your Kelce's and RBs to feast.

Hill can run every route at every level and like I've said above, changes everything you do defensively and he is not replaceable.

REALLY interested to see how the Chiefs cope without him long term. I don't want to see stats from games he didn't play; it's not the same thing.

Here you go….but the one stat that didn’t change (increased yardage) is misleading - it’s more telling that KC only scored 30+ pts once.   And they were 4-2 with 3 W’s against bad teams (ours in 2017, OAK/DET in 2019).  They won once vs a good team (BAL 2019) & lost 19-13 at home vs. IND in 2019 and vs. LAC this year.  

As you said - Hill changes the way the KC O operates.   They will still be contenders with Mahomes / Reid & Kelce / IOL / Chris Jones & those CB’s.    But it’s no longer a case where KC enters most games as clear favorites.   Mahomes is still elite but the matchup nightmares that O provided are far easier for D’s to manage now.  

But as @champ11 mentioned and you’re alluding to - they dropped from a level above everyone else (but within reach) to where there’s no clear favorite.    

In the long run the Chiefs likely win by the draft capital (given their success - but still not a guarantee) and not paying 30M AAV to a WR.    But IMO at least for 2022 and maybe 2023 - they’ve dropped back to the AFCW pack.   

Game on.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, can also lend to the idea that KC is having some cash flow issues if they're not will to pay one of their top offensive threats. Wonder how Mahommie feels about that ?

They had serious cap issues entering the season. Hill was a casualty.

39 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, can also lend to the idea that KC is having some cash flow issues if they're not will to pay one of their top offensive threats. Wonder how Mahommie feels about that ?

He had to know this was coming. His absurd $450 million contract was always going to come back to bite them eventually. Aaron Rodgers just put Green Bay in the same exact position. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

KC had more than enough room - they were well into discussions on an extension.   The issue is that Davante Adams' contract set a new bar KC didn't want to go for.   Ppl were thinking low 20M's was a lot for WR.   Now we're seeing 28-30M as the bar for elite WR's?   Craziness.   28 year olds signing into their age-32 season, while quick-twich/speed types age far more gracefully than big bodies, that's pretty tough to justify.   I mean, we all know the cap is going up so much, but paying WR's as much as QB's is pretty much bad business.   

In a LOT of ways, we can thank the Raiders for being willing to pay Adams (maybe GB would have caved if LV doesn't come in with that offer, who knows) - Adams re-setting the market IMO had a massive ripple effect.    Both we and the Chargers really kinda benefitted both ways IMO - Adams is great, but 30M for any WR is still insane, esp with a team that needs even more holes to fill than we do.   But we now get a depleted KC O to face, as well.

Frankly, if we find our RT solution, and get value in the draft, can't really have asked for a better offseason result.   As much as I would have been good with A-Rod coming to DEN, Wilson was a far better long-term and cap-management option....and no way I wanted the A-Rod / Adams package some were discussing.   We get the younger, cheaper elite tier QB - AND the ripple effect in the market weakens KC's O significantly.  Win-win-win outcome.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 2:23 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Let's gooooooo Canada @broncosfan_101

No Italy either. lol.

I have never seen my country in the World Cup. When I was a kid, the only soccer coverage in this country was a show called Soccer Saturday, which was on early on Saturday mornings, hosted by Graham Leggat. Nobody in my class knew what it was. I was on my junior high school team and I had to help my coach teach the rules to a bunch of the other kids. And now, we’re here:

An incredible debt of gratitude to Christine Sinclair, Diana Matheson, the entire CANWNT of the last generation. Their success over these past ~15 years has lit a spark in this country. This run has truly been incredible, I can’t imagine what November will feel like. 

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

On 3/28/2022 at 3:23 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Let's gooooooo Canada @broncosfan_101

No Italy either. lol.

Unlike 1986 this is a good Canadian team too.    They are young and have ridiculous speed / depth.  Their snow game is going to be their signature moment.     I’m a casual fan but given that the best NA team usually advances it wouldn’t surprise me to see them qualify to the Round of 16 (barring a group of death seeding).  

If they win or tie tomorrow they finish as top seed.   No idea if that helps their draw but if it does that’s huge.  Biggest thing is they’re so young this is less likely to be a one-and-done like 1986 was.  

Edited by Broncofan

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Unlike 1986 this is a good Canadian team too.    They are young and have ridiculous speed / depth.  Their snow game is going to be their signature moment.     I’m a casual fan but given that the best NA team usually advances it wouldn’t surprise me to see them qualify to the Round of 16 (barring a group of death seeding).  

If they win or tie tomorrow they finish as top seed.   No idea if that helps their draw but if it does that’s huge.  Biggest thing is they’re so young this is less likely to be a one-and-done like 1986 was.  

The draw is based on FIFA rankings. Top 7 ranked teams plus the host go in pot A, next 8 best teams in pot B, same for pot C, then the bottom 5 teams go in pot D with the two inter-continental qualifiers, plus the final UEFA qualifier. We desperately wanna bump up into pot C, which I think is pretty likely?