Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

If Von Miller lost a step towards the end in Denver, he’s found 2 more steps now. Absolutely scary for the rest of the AFC seeing him wrecking havoc in a Bills uniform. 

I counted quite a few former broncos in the kickoff game. Miller of course, Isaiah McKenzie, both punters (Sam Martin for the Bills and Riley Dixon for the Rams), Justin Hollins 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

If Von Miller lost a step towards the end in Denver, he’s found 2 more steps now. Absolutely scary for the rest of the AFC seeing him wrecking havoc in a Bills uniform. 

I counted quite a few former broncos in the kickoff game. Miller of course, Isaiah McKenzie, both punters (Sam Martin for the Bills and Riley Dixon for the Rams), Justin Hollins 

Shows how much of an island he was on in the post-SB days here.    That DL looks really fearsome with the disruption Von & Ed Oliver provide together.   What's different is with Von, suddenly both Jaelen Phillips and Greg Rousseau made splash plays.  

Remember when fans wanted Miller to take a pay cut to 11-12M a year?  Lol good times.   Paton got max value out of that situation - kept the contract when Miller & camp rightfully said pay me or trade/release me, and got the highest return possible instead an end-of-3rd comp pick in 2023.    Win-win for everyone.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

It is mind-boggling how bad of a job Fangio did taking advantage of Von’s talent. He didn’t take a step back, a bad head coach and leader neutered him. 

Derek Wolfe gave a pretty candid interview about his career recently and absolutely laid into Fangio lol. Said Fangio had a massive ego and only wanted to get sacks if his scheme would get the credit for it. Said he stopped Von and Wolfe from doing their two man game stuff that had been so successful for seven years. 

Every day it becomes more apparent what a toxic presence Fangio was in Denver. I don’t think I’ve heard any players say anything good about him since his firing. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Side bar - outside of backup QB Sam Martin might have landed the cushiest job in the NFL.   He might not even punt 40x this year lol.  

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Remember when fans wanted Miller to take a pay cut to 11-12M a year?  Lol good times.   Paton got max value out of that situation - kept the contract when Miller & camp rightfully said pay me or trade/release me, and got the highest return possible instead an end-of-3rd comp pick in 2023.    Win-win for everyone.

Now it’ll be interesting to see if choosing Randy Gregory for less money will prove as wise. 

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

Now it’ll be interesting to see if choosing Randy Gregory for less money will prove as wise. 

To be fair, though - Miller chose to go to BUF.    Very different dynamic than us turning our backs.  IIRC Paton made an offer and was interested.

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, though - Miller chose to go to BUF.    Very different dynamic than us turning our backs.  IIRC Paton made an offer and was interested.

I don't think we did make on offer in FA. I think we knew he was out of our price range and set our sights on Gregory. 

• Like 2

Watching Von pull that Ghost move he invented himself was just a thing a beauty.

Calling a pass rusher graceful feels weird, but that's what he is. And to also see that same guy bull rush a dude who is 60 lbs heavier than him is just as beautiful. 

An all time great who's still doing it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

$120MM in guarantee money is a good way to lure someone to play for them over the team they really want to play for.  I would have thought Von would have gone to the Cowboys or to the Broncos.  But the Bills made that impossible with their offer, and you know they have to make that offer. 

11 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I don't think we did make on offer in FA. I think we knew he was out of our price range and set our sights on Gregory. 

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

This was the version I read, as well. Pretty sure Von said we never called him. 

Fair - I recall there being interest but not at that price range.    Probably why a final offer wasn’t made.   Hard to blame BUF for going that high if they saw him as the missing piece. 

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

$120MM in guarantee money is a good way to lure someone to play for them over the team they really want to play for.  I would have thought Von would have gone to the Cowboys or to the Broncos.  But the Bills made that impossible with their offer, and you know they have to make that offer. 

I think the thought of three rings with three different teams may have had something to do with it.

• Like 1