Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We all knew what the Raiders were getting in Mac. I know there are quite a few Patriots apologists in the national media but why so many reporters/analysts - intelligent people who know football - continue to think the next BB assistant hired for a HC job is suddenly going to figure it out and not go down in flames like many previous others is beyond my comprehension. Mac was a polarizing hire even among Raiders fans but it seems like a majority, a sizable majority, have already turned on him from what I’ve read in their forum and on social media (and from what my sister and brother in law, who live in Vegas, have also said). 

The Chargers, going back to the early 2000s, always look like an amazing team on paper and they’re always a trendy SB pick - wow, look at all that talent - and then, like you say, they just find a way to be the Chargers.  

In this case, the ChargIR's might fit.  Losing Slater is a crusher.   He's literally in the Trent Williams tier of elite LT's.

Bosa would also be a massive blow.

(Chargers fan link lol):

The bigger issue TBH is their scheme on O really sucks.   Mike Lombardi, the NO OC that enjoyed success, is trying to implement the NO system - but it's ALL short-pass based.   That's taking away all the leverage that Herbert's arm talent provides - and D's have wised up to this trend.  I would expect DC Evero to be all over this if Lombardi doesn't change. 

Look at that graph - the Chargers are literally the most conservative team on throwing the ball downfield.   With Justin Freaking Herbert.   They don't just throw short, they run all the routes short.  As bad as Nathaniel Hackett's been, OC Joe Lombardi should be insta-fired at this point.   The Chargers are wasting Herbert's generational talent.  Imagine the Bills or Chiefs making their QB's throw it Drew Brees dink and dunk, short-area peppering style.

I was very pessimistic we had the ability to beat LAC.....with the injuries to Slater and the limits OC Lombardi has shackled that O with...not so sure I should be so pessimistic (of course, pot calling kettle black if Hackapolypse Now doesn't improve to even just "average" levels).

40 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Just watched the Giants/Cowboys highlights...man I don't like looking backward but damn is Lamb a beast. It's hard to think he wouldn't have come down with that tipped ball Jeudy missed.

Let me preface by saying I agree. If you go back to the draft thread I preferred lamb because he made more contested catches and in the NFL you’re not going to be as open. But lamb had an inexcusable drop last night on a wide open bomb that would have put that game away early. 

• Like 2

So as some may know, GMFB is my morning staple. For any of the rest of you who watch regularly or semi regularly, what are your thoughts on Jamie as the replacement Kay? 

IMO Kay was irreplaceable but I think Jamie has done a good job. She was a little stiff at first but seems to have settled in. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by Jason McCourty, who I expected to be a Patriots apologist when the hire was made, but he’s surprised me. He’s not Nate Burelson but he’s done a good job so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Obviously no love lost for the chiefs, but that was the worst call (the strip sack that was called roughing the passer) that I have ever seen in my near 4 decades of watching football

I’m struggling to understand how Jones could rough the passer when he (Jones) possessed the ball 

• Like 2

Leave it up to Josh McDaniels to get cute again.   Calls for a run from shotgun with game on line right at Chris Jones instead of the DE where Frank Clark was no longer in the game.     When power anywhere but at Chris Jones gashed the Chiefs D all night long.  

Then on 4th and 1 calls for a route that both WR’s collide on (likely on the WR but still).   Man.   Just when I thought we were at the bottom of the barrel in worst ways to lose a game Josh McD and the Raiders go “hold my beer”.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Feels like about a week away but isn't it about time to sign WR Brandon Johnson ??

IIRC he’s eligible to be re-signed 6 weeks after the settlement pay period ends.   So it depends on how many weeks he was paid.  If the injury settlement was 3 weeks pay then it’s week 9.  And so on. 

Given it was a HAS I’d guess he got 4-6 weeks pay and then we go from there.    Given a grade 2 HAS would keep him on the shelf about that long.   

Edited by Broncofan