Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 7/19/2022 at 9:21 AM, 1234567 said:

I know every recovery is different. But K.J. Hamler’s out there runnin his *** off 9 months removed from ACL surgery. Meanwhile, Jamal Murray is going on 18 months, and they’re still talking like he’s gonna start the season on a 20 minute restriction. That’s troubling. Makes me wonder just how bad he blew that knee up, and if he’s ever gonna be the same player again. 

On 7/19/2022 at 10:06 AM, Broncofan said:

To be fair, the change in direction and explosion in hoops is even more important than with football.   Running sprints and 1-cuts are probably the easiest part of recovery - and why a lot of players return so quickly there.   In hoops, the jumping, stop/start and cutting / cod required is a lot more stressful on the ACL.  It's also why players who don't have it completely don't look/feel the same.  Sounds like that's happening with Murray.

While players often return to play at the 9-10 month mark in football, they aren't the same until said 18 month mark re: explosion-agility-cod wise.   It's one reason I fade a lot of year 1 ACL returnees in fantasy, for example (and I believe I mentioned this with tempered expectations on Sutton's 2021 season - and I'd say the same with Hamler's 2022).

And that mental hurdle is a big obstacle.   Murray's only 25, and by all accounts, the ACL tear was uncomplicated - but in hoops, coming back from ACL is a different animal than football, baseball or hockey.    It's cause for concern, but the real test comes next season.    Given that it's a 82-game season, I do understand the timeline.  Frustrating and anxiety-provoking for fans, but not yet the time to see full flags.

On 7/19/2022 at 7:07 PM, 1234567 said:

Good info! Let’s hope he makes a full recovery; I would hate to see the Nuggets waste their window. Good news is that their average age is still about 26 so there’s some time. 

Just circling back here - it's early, but now that he's 18+ months post ACL and has *all* the explosion, quick-twitch and stop/start abilities back, the full spectrum - Jamal Murray looks like his old self.   And it's not just the eye test.

Along with Bradley Chubb's 2022, this is an excellent reminder that even when players return on year 1 post-ACL - they are NOT the same, they lack that extra bit of explosion and sudden-ness that made them elite athletes.   Jerry Rice and AP were the 2 exceptions, but I firmly believe they lost that extra bit of exposion/sudden-ness from their peak, etc. - but they were starting at a 120+ percent baseline, so didn't look different production-wise.

This becomes really important when ppl judge KJ Hamler's lack of of production this year.  Now, he's got more growth as far as a route runner, etc. - but he's likely nowhere close to his former self (straight-line speed, yes, but not the rest of the quick-twitch skills).   Again, I pushed for us getting a CB over Hamler (to be fair, would have been a great CB in CHI's Jaylon Johnson - what a pair we'd have now).   But the expectations for 2022 should be tempered, and the hope for 2023 shouldn't necessarily be dimmed if the rest of the year isn't a breakout for him as our 3rd WR.    Just file it away for 2023.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Nuggets are good at least. I'm actually looking forward to the schedule getting tough in the new year to see how they hold up against top opposition.

Serious question right now - are they a better team with MPJ out of the lineup? Bruce Brown is such a good fit with those other starting players. And, it's not like MPJ can just play with the bench - he is terrible without Jokic.

Hiring Prime makes the last 20 years of being a CU fan almost better overnight. He may leave after 2-3 years but at least that means CU is actually fun again. At least can be more than just a Tad Boyle fan now.

@AnAngryAmerican I know CSU interviewed him and I think he would’ve made waves enough to get CSU maybe included with a P5 expansion, long term Norvell is a great hire. I know my wife’s stepdad who was the SID and worked in AD for years is a big fan, you may know him/of him Gary Ozzello. 

Congrats Buffs fans. Already landing 5 star recruits, the Deion Sanders brand is so strong. Never understood how CU could have been down so bad for so long. Great location, tradition and facilities. With USC leaving the Pac, the conference is wide open. 

I do think he will leave in a few years for a blue blood but you’ll be in much better shape on the other side than you were a week ago. 

On 11/30/2022 at 1:21 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, the Nuggets are good at least. I'm actually looking forward to the schedule getting tough in the new year to see how they hold up against top opposition.

Serious question right now - are they a better team with MPJ out of the lineup? Bruce Brown is such a good fit with those other starting players. And, it's not like MPJ can just play with the bench - he is terrible without Jokic.

I’d flip him and whatever else it takes sans Jokic, Jamal and Gordon to land AD.. 😬

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Congrats Buffs fans. Already landing 5 star recruits, the Deion Sanders brand is so strong. Never understood how CU could have been down so bad for so long. Great location, tradition and facilities. With USC leaving the Pac, the conference is wide open. 

I do think he will leave in a few years for a blue blood but you’ll be in much better shape on the other side than you were a week ago. 

And he'll change the culture instantly.    His 7.5 min entry speech was 🔥

He may not fix everything, but he's the biggest thing to happen to CU sports in a long time.   And in the era of portal transfers, NIL & media prominence affecting schools, it can only help them.

Edited by Broncofan