Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

On 12/6/2022 at 12:11 AM, Broncofan said:

I will say as bad as Hackett is (and he's awful), it's pretty clear other coaches pull some amazingly dumb **** to lose games too.

Dennis Allen was so bad tonight even Hackett was really dumbfounded at how the last 4.5 mins went down.

Josh McDaniels and Raiders DC went up to Dennis Allen and said “hold my beer”.  

Even Nathaniel Hackett was stunned by how badly McD mismanaged the 2H.    1 target for Davante Adams.    Using a hurt Josh Jacobs who couldn’t use his right hand to run only up the middle or left. Wow.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Here is a "What if."  What if the 49ers keep Brock Purdy, does that make Trey Lance expendable, and does John Lynch throw the Broncos another bone and ship Trey to either sit behind Russ or supplant Russ?  Trey is on a rookie contract, and he is still raw, so why not?  BUT, the brand of football the 49ers play is my brand; let's realize it's a Mike Shanahan type of football that we all love, so then do you go after some of the 49er staff like we should have done with Mike McDaniel last year?  I'd throw Dameco Ryans as a HC, because if Hackett goes maybe Evero also goes because aren't Hacket and Evero best friends?  I doubt Evero sticks around.  But then you would have to nab the 49ers play caller to develop Lance.  

7 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Here is a "What if."  What if the 49ers keep Brock Purdy, does that make Trey Lance expendable, and does John Lynch throw the Broncos another bone and ship Trey to either sit behind Russ or supplant Russ?  Trey is on a rookie contract, and he is still raw, so why not?  BUT, the brand of football the 49ers play is my brand; let's realize it's a Mike Shanahan type of football that we all love, so then do you go after some of the 49er staff like we should have done with Mike McDaniel last year?  I'd throw Dameco Ryans as a HC, because if Hackett goes maybe Evero also goes because aren't Hacket and Evero best friends?  I doubt Evero sticks around.  But then you would have to nab the 49ers play caller to develop Lance.  

That ship sailed in 2017 when Ellis and Elway hired Vance. Kyle is the 49ers play-caller. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

The Raiders were less than 45 secs away from blowing  a halftime 13+ pt lead and lose for a 5th time - it's never been done 4x until this year with LV.    

But then BB/Patricia said "hold my beer" (to be fair, it might have been just Jakobi Meyers too).  Either way I don't think we'll ever see a wackier ending than that one (that's the pro version of the Stanford-Cal marching band-level improbability).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, Broncofan said:

The Raiders were less than 45 secs away from blowing  a halftime 13+ pt lead and lose for a 5th time - it's never been done 4x until this year with LV.    

But then BB/Patricia said "hold my beer" (to be fair, it might have been just Jakobi Meyers too).  Either way I don't think we'll ever see a wackier ending than that one (that's the pro version of the Stanford-Cal marching band-level improbability).

It was a fluke win but one that might actually save Mac’s job. 

Last week on GMFB they had Scott Pioli on for his regular weekly spot and, SMH, these Patriot guys never cease to amaze me with their ability to circle the wagons for their crew and find excuses to make for their failures. Pioli actually said that Mark Davis needs to be patient and give Mac time to get “his guys” on the roster before he can be fairly judged as a HC.

He said that about a guy who inherited a roster that made the playoffs last year despite having an interim HC and going through almost unprecedented controversy and distractions with the Gruden fiasco and Ruggs’ crime, and added at very worst a top-3 WR.

Not having enough of “his” players is not what has caused Mac’s awful in-game decision-making, the drama he is creating in the locker room/team HQ or his outright inability to adjust and adapt both in-game and week to week. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It was a fluke win but one that might actually save Mac’s job. 

Last week on GMFB they had Scott Pioli on for his regular weekly spot and, SMH, these Patriot guys never cease to amaze me with their ability to circle the wagons for their crew and find excuses to make for their failures. Pioli actually said that Mark Davis needs to be patient and give Mac time to get “his guys” on the roster before he can be fairly judged as a HC.

He said that about a guy who inherited a roster that made the playoffs last year despite having an interim HC and going through almost unprecedented controversy and distractions with the Gruden fiasco and Ruggs’ crime, and added at very worst a top-3 WR.

Not having enough of “his” players is not what has caused Mac’s awful in-game decision-making, the drama he is creating in the locker room/team HQ or his outright inability to adjust and adapt both in-game and week to week. 

The reality is that Mark Davis may be so cash poor eating the dead $ and hiring a new HC is likely prohibitive.  By many accounts McD is safe for year 2.  Which is wild but I won’t complain.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The reality is that Mark Davis may be so cash poor eating the dead $ and hiring a new HC is likely prohibitive.  By many accounts McD is safe for year 2.  Which is wild but I won’t complain.  

Yeah I’ve read that Mark Davis is the poorest owner in the league. 

The thing too is he can’t just fire Mac but it would have to be whole coaching staff and almost all of the FO as well since they’re all “Patriot Way” guys, Mac and Ziegler were a two-fer. I can see if you’re as cash poor as Davis is, that throwing it all out would be cost prohibitive. 

It’s strange though that they’re struggling financially the way they are. My sister is a VP of a major event management company in Vegas and her husband, my brother in law, owns a very high end restaurant, one that’s a mainstay on all the various top-10 restaurants in Vegas lists, and they go to a lot of the games to entertain clients and the like and I know those aren’t cheap events. You’d think given that it’s a world famous city with an iconic football team that Davis would have as much money as the federal reserve. But I guess even bad businessmen can own a NFL franchise. 

Meanwhile, our owners lay claim to a widely loathed business that is the subject of a litany of unflattering memes and they’ve got more money than the federal reserve. 🤷‍♂️

58 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I’ve read that Mark Davis is the poorest owner in the league. 

The thing too is he can’t just fire Mac but it would have to be whole coaching staff and almost all of the FO as well since they’re all “Patriot Way” guys, Mac and Ziegler were a two-fer. I can see if you’re as cash poor as Davis is, that throwing it all out would be cost prohibitive. 

It’s strange though that they’re struggling financially the way they are. My sister is a VP of a major event management company in Vegas and her husband, my brother in law, owns a very high end restaurant, one that’s a mainstay on all the various top-10 restaurants in Vegas lists, and they go to a lot of the games to entertain clients and the like and I know those aren’t cheap events. You’d think given that it’s a world famous city with an iconic football team that Davis would have as much money as the federal reserve. But I guess even bad businessmen can own a NFL franchise. 

Meanwhile, our owners lay claim to a widely loathed business that is the subject of a litany of unflattering memes and they’ve got more money than the federal reserve. 🤷‍♂️

It’s all about liquidity as I get it.  Davis doesn’t generate outside revenue that’s readily accessible - unlike most every other owner.  He owns the Raiders and WNBA Aces and that’s it.  

I mean we shouldn’t feel any sympathy for owners - the franchise values have been doubling every 5 years IIRC.   When they do sell their shares they’ll go from 180K Al paid initially to billions back.    But it certainly does affect how they presently operate.  

It’s just ironic Mark Davis was given a get-out-of-jail free card from the disaster Gruden hire with the Snyder-driven email leaks and didn’t have to pay the guaranteed money owed to Gruden - only to put himself in the same position 1 year later with McDaniels.   Bad owners really do influence a team’s outcome far more than ppl appreciate.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1