Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

10 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Got blocked by @Reality_Check on twitter just now. Seems he didn’t enjoy being called out for his weeks of reporting that ‘Payton to Denver is absolutely not happening’ turning into ‘Payton will interview with Denver.’ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Hahaha. Albright is such a -ing tool.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Rumors I heard from multiple (ok 2 lol) members of the team in the 00’s was that most of Josina’s early big stories came as a result of pillow talk with/access she got because of, Marshall. 

Soon I posted the “huh” I realized what you were referencing. And those aren’t rumors, that was 100% true. When I was writing for Football Nation, she had NO respect from the rest of the Broncos press corps. She’s not someone I’ve ever taken seriously as a “journalist.” 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Rumors I heard from multiple (ok 2 lol) members of the team in the 00’s was that most of Josina’s early big stories came as a result of pillow talk with/access she got because of, Marshall. 

She blocked me on twitter for me saying as much about 8 years ago when I was a bit more immature.

Can't say I regret it.

• Like 4

Staley playing all of his starters deep into the 4Q, or until they got hurt (Bosa/Williams) certainly legitimizes our Week 18 - but with the news that Wiliams is out with a fracture and is out 2-3 weeks minimum - what a ChargIRs move.     They literally had a great shot to win @ JAX and then @KC - but those take a massive hit with Williams out.   All for a meaningless game with the #5 seed locked up.

Worse yet, Staley then said that Williams could play this week (before news that there's a fracture) - saying that rest is more important that reps this week.   Staley went from saving his job with the Chargers 2H run to being very much on the hot seat if they lose this week.   Kinda crazy (and in a related note - it's apparently well known that Payton's first preferred destination was LAC - so this could have a ripple effect on us).

32 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Staley playing all of his starters deep into the 4Q, or until they got hurt (Bosa/Williams) certainly legitimizes our Week 18 - but with the news that Wiliams is out with a fracture and is out 2-3 weeks minimum - what a ChargIRs move.     They literally had a great shot to win @ JAX and then @KC - but those take a massive hit with Williams out.   All for a meaningless game with the #5 seed locked up.

Worse yet, Staley then said that Williams could play this week (before news that there's a fracture) - saying that rest is more important that reps this week.   Staley went from saving his job with the Chargers 2H run to being very much on the hot seat if they lose this week.   Kinda crazy (and in a related note - it's apparently well known that Payton's first preferred destination was LAC - so this could have a ripple effect on us).

Re: Payton and the LAC job, does anyone question whether the notoriously stingy Spanos family would be willing to meet the exorbitant price Payton will certainly command? Along with what figures to be an all-star staff?

Also, think about this. Say Payton does land in L.A. while Harbaugh comes here. Both put together all star staffs. Mac signs Brady and gets an extra pick for Carr.

Once again, the biggest off-season story line would be “holy s*** look at the AFCW!” 

…and then the Chiefs wrap up the division title before Christmas. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

29 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Re: Payton and the LAC job, does anyone question whether the notoriously stingy Spanos family would be willing to meet the exorbitant price Payton will certainly command? Along with what figures to be an all-star staff?

Also, think about this. Say Payton does land in L.A. while Harbaugh comes here. Both put together all star staffs. Mac signs Brady and gets an extra pick for Carr.

Once again, the biggest off-season story line would be “holy s*** look at the AFCW!” 

The Spanos family's resistance in spending $ is probably the only reason talk of WC-win-or-you're-out hasn't gained more steam.   Only outsiders are whispering it right now (ESPN, USA Today, etc.).    But at the same time, just like we heard Jim Harbaugh reached out to CAR (only to be politely declined), it's not hard to think Payton isn't using back channels to let it be known of his interest with LAC.   It may not sway the Spanos to open their wallets, but it's likely a reason there's a lot of smoke right now with Payton-wants-LAC.

It's kinda funny - Payton wants LAC, but LAC is in limbo.   DEN wants Payton/Harbaugh, but both are in limbo as other options are still unresolved (LAC/Michigan with the 2).  Quinn would love to be in DEN, but DEN is waiting on Payton/Harbaugh, and presumably if they strike out there, is willing to cast a wide net with the remaining group of interviewees.     But I do think if JAX wins, that's going to shake up the HC landscape significantly for next week.

LAC-JAX were shaping up to be the most entertaining games this weekend just by the QB matchups and how close the 2 teams are (NYG-MIN also a close matchup), but I imagine it's going to have extra layers of drama with the mess Staley created here.    It was such an easy decision to make - sit your guys for week 18 (except Bosa, he needed the work to get into game shape).    And then to say this week that rest is more important than reps....SMH.

Edited by Broncofan

On 1/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's because they already have a better HC than Harbaugh and Payton and an excellent staff.