Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Philly should look back at this game with a ton of regret.   They played off zone in a field with bad footing and generated zero pressure.   Zone is how Mahomes picks you apart.    Couldn’t predict the field but both teams had to play on it.    KC made a ton more adjustments at halftime than PHI.    Terrible performance by DC Gannon.    Nothing but respect for Mahomes.   

Just a horrible way to end the game though.   You just want to see 1 team deny the other with a lead there.   A flag that was that iffy taking away the chance is a terrible look.   And frankly takes away from what was an incredibly entertaining game.   Now it’s going to be remembered for that late call.   Fitting black eye for the league.  

It’s an asterisk title as far as I’m concerned. That doesn’t mean **** beyond how I view things. But it was so bad and so impactful in a coin flip game (down 3 with 1:50 left and KC couldn’t stop them) I’ll never view it as an earned ring. Sour grapes? You bet! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35644472/sources-vic-fangio-helping-eagles-super-bowl-prep-2-week-deal?platform=amp

great job eagles, hiring the guy who was winless against pat mahomes to help you beat pat mahomes

To be fair, they brought him in to help their Offense against the Chiefs Defense. Hard to argue with the Eagles Offensive production in the game.

Fangio had some real success against Mahomes I thought. I imagine our numbers were very good compared against how Mahomes smoked the rest of the league. I am surprised the Eagles weren't more interested in his Defensive insight.

As for the game - it was a penalty. But they didn't call it all game, so HOW can you call that there? So bad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, who is coach Vass and why should I care what he thinks?

He worked with Scangarello, that’s in the above tweets.

Btw Scangarello didn’t even make it through one season as Kentucky’s OC. Was a terrible hire by the Broncos, kind of gets forgotten with how bad Shurmur was. Two whiffs from Fangio. 

40 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Btw Scangarello didn’t even make it through one season as Kentucky’s OC. Was a terrible hire by the Broncos, kind of gets forgotten with how bad Shurmur was. Two whiffs from Fangio. 

One year with Philly, one year with SF and one year with Kentucky.    More than Vass the multiple teams cutting bait speaks volumes.   

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I get that. It still doesn't answer my question. Who is Vass and why does his opinion matter?

When we hired him he'd been the SF QB coach for a couple of years, Shanahan liked him and he was a way back to a WCO.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but I don't remember much hate when we hired him.

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I get that. It still doesn't answer my question. Who is Vass and why does his opinion matter?

When we hired him he'd been the SF QB coach for a couple of years, Shanahan liked him and he was a way back to a WCO.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but I don't remember much hate when we hired him.

Again, he coached with Scangarello for multiple years. Do you think your opinion or my opinion is more valuable than someone who worked with him every day?

As a HC putting together a staff, you’re going to be judged purely by results. And that’s how it has to be. Arguing over hindsight is for fans. It was a terrible hire. 

I hope this isn’t too sensitive to discuss here. 

But I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts about the EB hire by Washington.

The media line, at least the national media’s line, is that he hasn’t gotten a HC job yet because of a)racism and b)he’s coached under Andy Reid who has a big hand in the offense. Those arguing A cite Matt Nagy’s and Doug Pederson’s HC opportunities relative to EB’s zero. 

The thinking is now he can stand on his own with a defensive minded HC who is widely respected and takes a CEO role, thereby allowing EB free-reign on offense where he will prove he’s in fact a brilliant offensive mind and will get his long overdo HC job in the very near future.

To share my thoughts, I don’t doubt EB’s football acumen, and yes, sure, coaching under Reid and with HOF talents in Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and the rest of the lot would make any coach look good. But I’m sure EB knows football and has had big hand and deserves much credit for KC’s success. 

But I have heard, from a handful of very well connected people, that there are problems far beyond Reid/talent and supposed racism holding EB back. Apparently, from those I’ve talked to (some of whom are total CU homers to boot), he’s a bad interview, he is a hot-head, he has a checkered past and he’s a back-stabber. My guess is that NFL owners and GMs, who don’t want coaches making headlines for the wrong reasons, especially when they’re first hired, this is what has turned them away. 

Anyway, like I said I don’t want to make any trouble here but I just had lunch with a connected friend of mine and we discussed this at length. 

EB had 17 interviews with teams.   And not a single team asked for a 2nd interview.

No matter how much ppl think EB got a raw deal - you don't interview with 17 teams, and get 0 interviews - unless EB just doesn't interview well - or outright is bad at it.    And if I recall correctly - literally all 3 AFCW teams are included in those 17 teams.  

The other part - Matt Nagy was the last OC under Reid who got the golden boy treatment - and he absolutely **** the bed in Chicago.  As in, absolute disaster.   It's fair to say CHI fans view him almost as badly as we view Hackett.    Nagy had some success in year 1 - when he basically poached all of Andy Reid's ideas.  Year 2 onwards, when D's adjusted to the year 1 ideas, it was a total gong show - and that did nothing to help fuel the perception that in KC on O, it's pretty much the Reid show.

Mike Kafka got to interview for OC work, being the QBC - but it's only his success with Danny Jones as OC in NYG that led him to sniff a couple of HC interviews this year.    Rightly or wrongly, I think EB having to leave KC to show he can succeed says more about Andy Reid's perception in the Mahomes era, than it does on EB.    That, combined with the crazy 0-for-2nd interviews, well, I can't believe it's just bias at work.   

And lest we forget - KC let the contract lapse for EB this year.    It's not like he was poached.    Maybe they're doing him a solid, but shouldn't forget that either.

I wish EB lots of luck in WAS - that fanbase deserves better than the Snyder ownership years.   But I don't think the concerns are unreasonable, given the fact half the league has felt there's no need for a 2nd interview, and Nagy's utter implosion as the only Reid OC in the Mahomes era.

Edited by Broncofan

59 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Apparently, from those I’ve talked to (some of whom are total CU homers to boot), he’s a bad interview, he is a hot-head, he has a checkered past and he’s a back-stabber. My guess is that NFL owners and GMs, who don’t want coaches making headlines for the wrong reasons, especially when they’re first hired, this is what has turned them away. 

I have a really hard time putting any credibility to the rumors. Basically, Andy Reid wouldn't put up with him if it were true.

I think he may open some eyes. Being on an all start staff like that for a decade has to have had a positive effect on him.