Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I hope this isn’t too sensitive to discuss here. 

But I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts about the EB hire by Washington.

The media line, at least the national media’s line, is that he hasn’t gotten a HC job yet because of a)racism and b)he’s coached under Andy Reid who has a big hand in the offense. Those arguing A cite Matt Nagy’s and Doug Pederson’s HC opportunities relative to EB’s zero. 

The thinking is now he can stand on his own with a defensive minded HC who is widely respected and takes a CEO role, thereby allowing EB free-reign on offense where he will prove he’s in fact a brilliant offensive mind and will get his long overdo HC job in the very near future.

To share my thoughts, I don’t doubt EB’s football acumen, and yes, sure, coaching under Reid and with HOF talents in Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and the rest of the lot would make any coach look good. But I’m sure EB knows football and has had big hand and deserves much credit for KC’s success. 

But I have heard, from a handful of very well connected people, that there are problems far beyond Reid/talent and supposed racism holding EB back. Apparently, from those I’ve talked to (some of whom are total CU homers to boot), he’s a bad interview, he is a hot-head, he has a checkered past and he’s a back-stabber. My guess is that NFL owners and GMs, who don’t want coaches making headlines for the wrong reasons, especially when they’re first hired, this is what has turned them away. 

Anyway, like I said I don’t want to make any trouble here but I just had lunch with a connected friend of mine and we discussed this at length. 

Jason Whitlock talked about Eric back in September: The REAL Reason Eric Bieniemy Isn’t an NFL Head Coach - YouTube

3 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

The Broncos are my favorite franchise, however considering current world events, rooting for them is like supporting Cerithium Oil…is anyone else taking a hard look at where your merch is made?

Disturbing isn't it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

The Broncos are my favorite franchise, however considering current world events, rooting for them is like supporting Cerithium Oil…is anyone else taking a hard look at where your merch is made?

I mean it just opens up a larger discussion about why any of us are able to enjoy a high standard of living with relatively cheap goods. Wouldn’t be possible without the horrific exploitation of billions of people.

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I mean it just opens up a larger discussion about why any of us are able to enjoy a high standard of living with relatively cheap goods. Wouldn’t be possible without the horrific exploitation of billions of people.

Yes it would - but you’d have to take the billions off the likes of the Walmarts to do it.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I would argue the cycle of these business models promotes and perpetuates poverty. I've been living just fine not being a crazy consumer and purchasing only what I need and products that last. Cheap items don't last.

I'd feel much better about Walmart if they went back to made in USA or at least supported countries that are our allies. These trends for cheap goods are disturbing. I'm surprised the younger generations keep supporting these types of companies...not sure what's going on and why so many are disconnected.

Because things that last are A) Not cheap anymore and B) EPA regulations and QA standards have changed. People are willing to spend less to get something quicker. Even if you buy “Made in USA” does not necessarily mean every single part of that item was built here. Unfortunately unless you are pedantic and have a lot of free time buying things made with cheap labor in poor countries is unavoidable unless you plan to make your own clothes, grow your own food and build your own house.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:56 PM, broncosfan07 said:

Because things that last are A) Not cheap anymore and B) EPA regulations and QA standards have changed. People are willing to spend less to get something quicker. Even if you buy “Made in USA” does not necessarily mean every single part of that item was built here. Unfortunately unless you are pedantic and have a lot of free time buying things made with cheap labor in poor countries is unavoidable unless you plan to make your own clothes, grow your own food and build your own house.

Buying cheap costs too much. I don’t mind buying clothes made overseas, i.e., Patagonia. Last forever, they repair it, and recycle the items if one chooses. That’s a cool company. Going to farmers markets and buying organic fruits and vegetables. I’d grow my own food if my climate was amenable. Maybe I’m just old fashion.