Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

I know Rod Smith used to be involved a lot with our WR room (working with Brandon Marshall, DT, etc.). I haven't heard much about him in the last couple years. Has he still been involved with the team and do we expect former players to be invited to be on the practice field under Sean Payton? I really loved prior players coming back and meeting with the current team, it helped feel like we had an ongoing Broncos culture/family. Would be cool if Talib came back and talked with our DB room from time to time, or Von (after he retires) being around the facility, etc. 

Man having a franchise qb sucks lol give him a huge contract, spend two firsts and seconds and change. Spend a first and 3rd to fix said mistake, witness a bottom 5 season failure without recouping top 5 pick.

And now all off season I'm gonna look at prospective picks realizing you're not gonna be able to touch them round 1 and 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Man having a franchise qb sucks lol give him a huge contract, spend two firsts and seconds and change. Spend a first and 3rd to fix said mistake, witness a bottom 5 season failure without recouping top 5 pick.

And now all off season I'm gonna look at prospective picks realizing you're not gonna be able to touch them round 1 and 2.

Having a franchise QB is great and gives you a shot every year. But having a franchise QB who isn’t actually a franchise QB is the worst thing that can happen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I know Rod Smith used to be involved a lot with our WR room (working with Brandon Marshall, DT, etc.). I haven't heard much about him in the last couple years. Has he still been involved with the team and do we expect former players to be invited to be on the practice field under Sean Payton? I really loved prior players coming back and meeting with the current team, it helped feel like we had an ongoing Broncos culture/family. Would be cool if Talib came back and talked with our DB room from time to time, or Von (after he retires) being around the facility, etc. 

I get the impression Sean Payton would be happy to entertain former players, celebrities etc.

For better and for worse, he loves the spotlight.

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I mean other than Archie Manning there weren’t really any players from the first 40ish years of their existence prior to his arrival that were worth bringing in 

Maybe not all HOF type players who won super bowls but there have been some standouts.

Willie Roaf, Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs on the OLine.

Deuce McAllister was a pretty good RB.

Joe Horn at WR.

A couple Linebackers from the late 80s/early 90s who are in the HOF, Jonathan Vilma.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Can someone explain to me why Jalen Ramsey just sent for a 3rd+?  Hasn’t been that long since he was the bonafide CB1 in the league and he’s only 28yo.  What am I missing??

Wanted more guaranteed money and LA are in cap hell right now.

28 isn't a spring chicken for a CB either, especially one who plays the way Ramsey does.

I think Ramsey had his heart set on Miami too, so maybe the team did right by him.

15 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Can someone explain to me why Jalen Ramsey just sent for a 3rd+?  Hasn’t been that long since he was the bonafide CB1 in the league and he’s only 28yo.  What am I missing??

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Wanted more guaranteed money and LA are in cap hell right now.

28 isn't a spring chicken for a CB either, especially one who plays the way Ramsey does.

I think Ramsey had his heart set on Miami too, so maybe the team did right by him.

To be clear, too - Ramsey had a down 2022.   At age 28, that's always a flag.    You wouldn't know it by our game with LAR, but Ramsey actually was below average in YPT last year.     He's not at an age where he's completely washed, but the risk that we're starting to see decline, at his $, is why few teams were interested.   

Ramsey is a perfect fit for a mostly zone scheme, so easy to see why MIA & Fangio were interested (frankly, a better fit than Xavien Howard was).   One thing about MIA though - they're spending a LOT of $ on the CB's and WR's, and about to commit to Tua (they guaranteed his 5th year option).  They've got a few pieces in the front 7, but paying more for the skill guys and having trench play / depth issues, isn't a great formula - and don't think Tua is that level of QB to mask those problems (Hill & Waddle certainly help him play up, though).   Will be interesting to see how Fangio fares in MIA - still a great DC, but the trenches being the biggest Q mark rarely succeeds outright.

9 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

So was wondering why S PJ Locke wasn't tendered, thought he was having a good TC before he was injured. I expected him to return at a high rate, did I miss something ? Is there more to his story, is Turner-Yell passing him up ?

I think so.   Plus it’s a 2.4M RFA tender.   They might think they can get him back at vet min.   

Locke isn’t great at run support keep in mind Payton & Paton are definitely looking for more toughness identity wise.    In that light I get it.