Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

Daboll seems to be the outlier in the Belichick coaching tree. Seeming like a great coach based off the little i've read in the latest ESPN article on Waller: 

"This is a staple of Daboll's approach. He famously was hired by the Giants and immediately asked quarterback Daniel Jones and many of the team's top playmakers to send him their favorite plays. Daboll took those plays into consideration when constructing the playbook for last season"

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 3:53 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I do think there is a bit of revisionist history when it comes to Jimmy Butler. He's definitely matured (even with the occasional reversion back to the old Jimmy), and many have seemed to forgotten about how difficult he was to manage in his younger years.

eh i kinda give him a pass. he forced his way out of minny because KAT stunk (which proved to be true). i think every competent org would have wanted him in house at any point of his career. weird player though for sure

Been too busy to post or even get to sit down and just enjoy this Nuggets run with 2 little kids since at the end of April sold our house in Highlands Ranch and moved up to Johnstown. Still hard to believe this team is 3 wins away from a title, any other team in franchise history would’ve probably lost against the Suns and definitely fallen apart against the Lakers. Malone has his faults but he’s done a great job with the rotation.

• Like 4

Flags fly forever.   Jokic cements his legacy.   Good for the team & Malone.   

So much has to go right to win a championship.   Can’t ever bank on being back so this is so sweet for the players, coaches & fans.  

Great day for Nugget fans, enjoy it.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Story time. Grew up a huge basketball fan. Grandparents were big KU fans and my first memory is Danny manning hitting the shot that won the 88 championship for the Jayhawks. In the 90s the nuggets sucked but Mutumbo was fun to watch, then they schooled the Sonics! We got Jalen Rose! Team was looking up! The next offseason they let D walk and traded Rose. Another half decade of **** basketball. But at least tickets were cheap! (I remember getting lower bowl seats, drinks and personal pizza, for  4 for $40). Then came Melo. Changed the trajectory of the team. But he ushered in a new style of play for the NBA as a whole: 1:1 iso ball where the other 4 seem to watch (I know players like AI and at times Kobe did as well but the melo nuggets took it to a whole new level).

I’m not a fan of this style. I like team basketball. I’m a college ball fan at heart. But they were winning so I enjoyed it. The first hit came in 2008 where it seemed the refs and League stepped in to make sure the lakers won the WCF.  Then Melo forced his way out of Denver, LeBron made his “decision” and all the players seemed to be converging on the major markets. After KD went to golden state I was done. This was a league where only a few actually had a chance to win playing a selfish style of ball I really didn’t enjoy watching. I didn’t watch the NBA for over 4 complete seasons. Didn’t even follow it. It wasn’t until the bubble playoffs that I started watching again. What I saw from this nuggets team… it was like rekindling an old flame! Team basketball?! And who is this lumbering oaf with the 2” vertical but the passing skills of magic and feather touch on the layup/hook like Kareem?

the last 3 years I’ve been all back in. Haven’t missed a game (that I wasn’t working during lol). To see this group continue to get better, play team basketball, and build this team the right way… so happy for them!

• Like 5

From one fan of a small market team (Milwaukee) to you all, CONGRATULATIONS! Soak it up, it's incredible to finally have that weight lifted. The Nuggets deserved it, the fans absolutely deserve it. One of the best moments as a fan, especially when you're one of the teams that's "not supposed to win."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

In the 90s the nuggets sucked but Mutumbo was fun to watch, then they schooled the Sonics! We got Jalen Rose! Team was looking up!

In 1992, I thought that the Nuggets were a team of the future. They had Mutombo and Abdul-Rauf, and they just drafted LaPhonso Ellis and Bryant Stith. For a short time, I looked like a prophet when they upset Seattle in 94 and took Utah to seven games. That was as good as it got. HC Dan Issel left, Mutombo went FA to Atlanta, LaPhonso got hurt, and a team of the future was trash by 1998. 

They also had some interesting teams in the late-80's that couldn't get by the stronger Laker, Rocket, and Maverick teams. The 1985 team won the Midwest Division, and got all the way to the WCF against the Lakers. They were down 2-1 and were in a close game when star SF Alex English broke his hand. Any chance for an upset was gone after that. 

Then, in 88, they won the Midwest again, but were defeated in six by a more talented Mavericks team. They also lost to the eventual West champion Rockets in 86 in six games in the second round (after blowing a big lead in Game 6). 

This franchise has been close, but never able to get there until last night. Congratulations to the Nuggets!

• Like 2

On 6/13/2023 at 7:44 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Story time. Grew up a huge basketball fan. Grandparents were big KU fans and my first memory is Danny manning hitting the shot that won the 88 championship for the Jayhawks. In the 90s the nuggets sucked but Mutumbo was fun to watch, then they schooled the Sonics! We got Jalen Rose! Team was looking up! The next offseason they let D walk and traded Rose. Another half decade of **** basketball. But at least tickets were cheap! (I remember getting lower bowl seats, drinks and personal pizza, for  4 for $40). Then came Melo. Changed the trajectory of the team. But he ushered in a new style of play for the NBA as a whole: 1:1 iso ball where the other 4 seem to watch (I know players like AI and at times Kobe did as well but the melo nuggets took it to a whole new level).

I’m not a fan of this style. I like team basketball. I’m a college ball fan at heart. But they were winning so I enjoyed it. The first hit came in 2008 where it seemed the refs and League stepped in to make sure the lakers won the WCF.  Then Melo forced his way out of Denver, LeBron made his “decision” and all the players seemed to be converging on the major markets. After KD went to golden state I was done. This was a league where only a few actually had a chance to win playing a selfish style of ball I really didn’t enjoy watching. I didn’t watch the NBA for over 4 complete seasons. Didn’t even follow it. It wasn’t until the bubble playoffs that I started watching again. What I saw from this nuggets team… it was like rekindling an old flame! Team basketball?! And who is this lumbering oaf with the 2” vertical but the passing skills of magic and feather touch on the layup/hook like Kareem?

the last 3 years I’ve been all back in. Haven’t missed a game (that I wasn’t working during lol). To see this group continue to get better, play team basketball, and build this team the right way… so happy for them!

so dope to hear that. denver media and tv stalemate not pumping this team up sooner was such a joke. being on this journey since 2015 with how they have really built it from the ground up ... has been so special 

I grew up in the Denver area when it was just the Broncos and Nuggets for a long time. I never thought in my lifetime that I'd see the Nuggets with a championship.  I thought the ceiling was the WCFs, and that was as far as they would ever go.  This is awesome.  This championship sits a near, not close, but a near 2nd to the Broncos' first Super Bowl. 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In 1992, I thought that the Nuggets were a team of the future. They had Mutombo and Abdul-Rauf, and they just drafted LaPhonso Ellis and Bryant Stith. For a short time, I looked like a prophet when they upset Seattle in 94 and took Utah to seven games. That was as good as it got. HC Dan Issel left, Mutombo went FA to Atlanta, LaPhonso got hurt, and a team of the future was trash by 1998. 

They also had some interesting teams in the late-80's that couldn't get by the stronger Laker, Rocket, and Maverick teams. The 1985 team won the Midwest Division, and got all the way to the WCF against the Lakers. They were down 2-1 and were in a close game when star SF Alex English broke his hand. Any chance for an upset was gone after that. 

Then, in 88, they won the Midwest again, but were defeated in six by a more talented Mavericks team. They also lost to the eventual West champion Rockets in 86 in six games in the second round (after blowing a big lead in Game 6). 

This franchise has been close, but never able to get there until last night. Congratulations to the Nuggets!

My dad used to take me to games at McNichols back in the 80's...I still have an old hat and pennant that look new. It's been forever, never thought they would do it. This team is it.

• Like 2