Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

It’s the nature of the NFL, but how some teams can’t figure out the OL, which is maybe the most difficult unit to get right.

I am watching the Giants/Cowboys game and the Giants changed coaches and schemes.  Have invested high draft picks and dollars on the OL and still can’t keep Eli clean.

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It’s the nature of the NFL, but how some teams can’t figure out the OL, which is maybe the most difficult unit to get right.

I am watching the Giants/Cowboys game and the Giants changed coaches and schemes.  Have invested high draft picks and dollars on the OL and still can’t keep Eli clean.

Rookie Will Hernandez has blown a few blitz protection schemes.   And while I like Shurmur as an OC, the playcalling to have their FB #43 block a DL or LB in pass pro clearly needs to either upgrade their FB or redesign that play lol.

But the other part - Eli's seeing ghosts.  His eyes are down with pressure early so much now.  2 years running, year 3 now IMO.   This is not going to be fixable IMO.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Rookie Will Hernandez has blown a few blitz protection schemes.   And while I like Shurmur as an OC, the playcalling to have their FB #43 block a DL or LB in pass pro clearly needs to either upgrade their FB or redesign that play lol.

But the other part - Eli's seeing ghosts.  His eyes are down with pressure early so much now.  2 years running, year 3 now IMO.   This is not going to be fixable IMO.   

Don’t disagree, but that OL is also awful.  They couldn’t block a plastic bag. 

They spent money on Solder which was supposed to be killing 2 birds with 1 stone as it moved Flowers to RT and both Solder and Flowers were 1st round picks.  They drafted Will Hernandez at 34 overall and he’s been AWFUL, many including myself were fine trading into the 1st for him.  I’ve seen some bad OL play the last few years, hell if you watched the broncos you couldn’t escape it, but man that Giants OL is pitiful and they aren’t even lacking in talent.

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Don’t disagree, but that OL is also awful.  They couldn’t block a plastic bag. 

They spent money on Solder which was supposed to be killing 2 birds with 1 stone as it moved Flowers to RT and both Solder and Flowers were 1st round picks.  They drafted Will Hernandez at 34 overall and he’s been AWFUL, many including myself were fine trading into the 1st for him.  I’ve seen some bad OL play the last few years, hell if you watched the broncos you couldn’t escape it, but man that Giants OL is pitiful and they aren’t even lacking in talent.

Yeah hard to argue otherwise.  That was not a cohesive OL unit.   I think getting Will Hernandez at 2.34 was a steal TBH long-term.  But it's also clear he and the other new guys (Solder at T, Omameh and the C) have a lot more work to do.  Which just got harder as the C got carted off in an air cast.   NYG trading away Brett Jones to MIN might really come back to bite them hard now.

All of which to say...Eli looks done.  He was already seeing ghosts with eyes down early before.  It's not any better tonight.  That's a huge problem going forward.  As an OBJ fantasy owner....very concerning.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah hard to argue otherwise.  That was not a cohesive OL unit.   I think getting Will Hernandez at 2.34 was a steal TBH long-term.  But it's also clear he and the other new guys (Solder at T, Omameh and the C) have a lot more work to do.  Which just got harder as the C got carted off in an air cast.   NYG trading away Brett Jones to MIN might really come back to bite them hard now.

All of which to say...Eli looks done.  He was already seeing ghosts with eyes down early before.  It's not any better tonight.  That's a huge problem going forward.  As an OBJ fantasy owner....very concerning.

Agreed.  Eli has been done for a few years.  I only watched the 1st half, even as poor as his play had been and he also can’t move, it was just hard to knock him tonight with that OL play.

At one point they triple teamed Crawford with 2 TEs and the tackle and he still went basically untouched haha.

I know this could probably be found out by googling my question but I wanted to ask you guys - 

Why were #30 and #24 available this season? I assumed they would have been retired. Elway, Tripucka, Floyd Little are the only ones to have their numbers retired. 

I'd have also liked to see #27 retired, but obviously he wasn't the game changing HoF player the aforementioned were. It is weird, I didn't expect to have this much of an opinion / feeling on this retired number thing until now lol. I do like it when you see the article that Player X has asked Player Y for permission to wear the number, that is fun.

54 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

I know this could probably be found out by googling my question but I wanted to ask you guys - 

Why were #30 and #24 available this season? I assumed they would have been retired. Elway, Tripucka, Floyd Little are the only ones to have their numbers retired. 

I'd have also liked to see #27 retired, but obviously he wasn't the game changing HoF player the aforementioned were. It is weird, I didn't expect to have this much of an opinion / feeling on this retired number thing until now lol. I do like it when you see the article that Player X has asked Player Y for permission to wear the number, that is fun.

Both TD and Champ gave their blessing to both guys taking the jerseys, they were asked.

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

I’d do pretty much anything to have Baker on our squad. Smdh

Well, we weren't getting him at 1.5...but time will tell how much not getting QB gives us regret.  

Keep in mind that we often see backups coming in and lighting it up  - and then when they start, D's are prepared for them, and they're not nearly as good.   So Baker's real test comes with teams preparing for him and exploiting the weaknesses they see with him.  But otherwise, Baker's accuracy and anticipation were his strongest attributes today.   And yeah, literally 100x better than Tyrod, who was a total horror show today (he missed Callaway 2x for bombs, passed up going deep with him wide open, and missed Landry 2-3x wide open shorter, just OMG brutal).   I will also say while the highlights will likely only show Callaway's drop, and the one key conversion - it doesn't tell the whole picture on how talented the kid is - dude blew by the D 4x, and had nothing to show for it - 1 was on him, but the other 3 were on Tyrod late/underthrowing/just not seeing him.   Callaway is a nuclear-level risk off-the-field - but the talent is ridiculously good.   Him, Landry and Njoku, that really helps Baker a ton.   And Myles Garrett...dude's a beast.  No doubt generational talent barring injury.  The next one.  The D is approaching top-10 level performance IMO.

Having said all that, Hue sticking with Taylor (not one single snap with 1st teamers for Baker at all during offseason or now) is just so typical of his ineptitude.  CLE had a crazy stat - the highest # drives starting inside the opponent's 50 after 2 games (I think it was 6).   And yet the CLE O was awful tonight, and pretty meh the last 2 games.   

We can all see Tyrod was a big part of that, and it was plain as day tonight - but yet, the CLE coaches didn't see it enough to even let Mayfield compete.   That's really worrisome on the competency of that coaching staff.   And Dorsey too for paying a 3.1 for Tyrod, when they were committed to going QB 1.1 and 5 stopgap FA's available without having to spend a pick.   While the W will keep the bylines suppressed, it's hard for the Q's to go away about Hue & co.'s evaluation process (and Dorsey paying up for Tyrod at 3.1 with no-trade options available as 1-year stopgaps).   Even if Baker is just "competent" as a starter once teams prepare for him, with that emerging D, CLE's play might save Hue's job...which would be brutal for them in the long run.  A CLE team without Hue Jackson would rise up even faster.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I just always think it's funny when bad teams draft QBs high and still think the best move is to start some journeyman caliber player. Really, what is the point? The October-November benching is inevitable and all it accomplishes is taking away months of valuable reps for the guy you invested in to be the future. I don't want to hear about giving the team "the best chance to win", you're not winning anything starting a journeyman on a bad team. The stubbornness of NFL coaches is high comedy sometimes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I just always think it's funny when bad teams draft QBs high and still think the best move is to start some journeyman caliber player. Really, what is the point? The October-November benching is inevitable and all it accomplishes is taking away months of valuable reps for the guy you invested in to be the future. I don't want to hear about giving the team "the best chance to win", you're not winning anything starting a journeyman on a bad team. The stubbornness of NFL coaches is high comedy sometimes. 

Get this misplaced Tyrod slander out of here! Team would have been 2-0 going into last night if it weren't for their kicker. I am not sure Baker would have been able to tie the Steelers week one...

Tyrod looked like crap last night, but the playcalling and line were abysmal with him in there. Baker definitely looked great, and made many throws that Tyrod is not capable of.

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I agree, in 99% of situations.  I have no idea why Rosen isn’t starting over Bradford right now.  The only outlier I can see to this is the Bills.  That OL is so damn bad, Allen needed some development coming in, but he’s just going to get destroyed all season and I don’t think it’s going to be beneficial for him in the future.  I’d have let him sit on the bench most of the season, get some development/learn the NFL and then spent the off-season making improving the OL before throwing him to the wolves.