Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

It's crazy to listen to ppl justify the non-call as not deciding that game.  Saints could have still won after that, but the Rams would have never gotten the ball back.   And Lutz is a lock inside 40.   To say the Saints didn't get a game-changing call is ridiculous.   

This is probably 1000x worse than BAL AFCG.  We still had a chance to win, but our own playcalling and Raheem goofed up.  This is pretty brutal.

Side note though - the league also needs to get rules in to prevent that whole crowd whistle BS dealt with.  It's not as bad as the blown call, but it's an advantage that can't be allowed to happen again.   

Not a good day for the league PR-wise with the refs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

It's crazy to listen to ppl justify the non-call as not deciding that game.  Saints could have still won after that, but the Rams would have never gotten the ball back.   And Lutz is a lock inside 40.   To say the Saints didn't get a game-changing call is ridiculous.   

This is probably 1000x worse than BAL AFCG.  We still had a chance to win, but our own playcalling and Raheem goofed up.  This is pretty brutal.

Side note though - the league also needs to get rules in to prevent that whole crowd whistle BS dealt with.  It's not as bad as the blown call, but it's an advantage that can't be allowed to happen again.   

Yeah but there were blown calls that went in their favor.  This one gets pointed at because it was a crucial situation but the Saints a WR blocking downfield and not even running a route, like 3 obvious face masks, and a delay of game.

The refs have sucked this year, big time I’ve probably posted more about it than anyone, but the Saints very well may not have been in the position they were without help from the officials.

Ultimately, Peyton was cute all game long and it didn’t work out.

18 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah but there were blown calls that went in their favor.  This one gets pointed at because it was a crucial situation but the Saints a WR blocking downfield and not even running a route, like 3 obvious face masks, and a delay of game.

The refs have sucked this year, big time I’ve probably posted more about it than anyone, but the Saints very well may not have been in the position they were without help from the officials.

Ultimately, Peyton was cute all game long and it didn’t work out.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that argument - but it's crazy to say that call doesn't end the game, which is what ppl are saying (such as "NO had other chances to win the game after").  It absolutely ends it there.   NO has the ball at the 10, LAR has 1 TO left, and 1:40 left.  Basically 4-5 secs left with 3 runs, and the K is automatic from inside 40, let alone 30.    From that perspective, I get the Saints' fanbase being in so much pain.   

It's fair to say a team who lets a game be that close had other opps to not be in that position.  But it's also unequivocal the right call gets made there, game's over.  Not many times you can say that.

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that argument - but it's crazy to say that call doesn't end the game, which is what ppl are saying (such as "NO had other chances to win the game after").� It absolutely ends it there.� �NO has the ball at the 10, LAR has 1 TO left, and 1:40 left.� Basically 4-5 secs left with 3 runs, and the K is automatic from inside 40, let alone 30.� ��From that perspective, I get the Saints' fanbase being in so much pain.� �

It's fair to say a team who lets a game be that close had other opps to not be in that position.� But it's also unequivocal the right call gets made there, game's over.� Not many times you can say that.

No doubt it ended the game and had it been called the Saints are in the SB instead of the Rams.  But to act like the Saints got screwed I don’t buy (and I’m not saying you believe that).  Overall, the Saints got away with close to a handful of calls that were pretty obvious that could’ve led to them not even being in a position to win.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah...I mean, really..the CB literally knocked the WR down before the ball was even there....I don't get how four or five refs miss that...like one of them saw that and didn't bother to throw the flat...why?  How do all of them decide...yeah, I didn't see that one it was a bang bang play...no...NO it wasn't even close.  

The refs decided that game and the NFL needs to be held accountable.  I am a Broncos fan, but I am a football fan and that took the fun out of it for me.  I mean, I didn't have a dog in the fight, but I wanted the game to mean something...other than it seems like the NFL got the big markets into the game and left out the KC vs. New Orleans small market Super Bowl?? Which I am guessing is a huge part of this. 

11 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah...I mean, really..the CB literally knocked the WR down before the ball was even there....I don't get how four or five refs miss that...like one of them saw that and didn't bother to throw the flat...why?  How do all of them decide...yeah, I didn't see that one it was a bang bang play...no...NO it wasn't even close.  

The refs decided that game and the NFL needs to be held accountable.  I am a Broncos fan, but I am a football fan and that took the fun out of it for me.  I mean, I didn't have a dog in the fight, but I wanted the game to mean something...other than it seems like the NFL got the big markets into the game and left out the KC vs. New Orleans small market Super Bowl?? Which I am guessing is a huge part of this. 

I agree to an extent the Saints did get away  with  some facemasks early in the game on goff. If you can't overcome a bad call at home you don't deserve to be in the superbowl imo . My gut says  the two best complete teams are in the ship. 

The Saints offense hasn't looked sharp in a couple of weeks now. I'm not on board with sean Payton resting guys for 3 weeks when the offense was clearly out of rhythm since the Dallas game.

Edited by thebestever6

15 hours ago, 1234567 said:

After hearing Tony Romo call several games now over the last couple years..I think I'd pay him whatever he wanted to give him a shot at either DC or OC. The dude is like Nostrodomus. 

We FINALLY have a good football announcer and you want to take him away from us ????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't understand why NFL refs don't get paid big, 6 figure salaries when their job is so high pressure and in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Higher salary = more people wanting to be refs = better quality employee pool = better officiating.

It's the exact same in English Soccer. Sure, refs get paid pretty well, but the foul abuse they get off players and fans means the amount of people wanting to be a ref is so small compared to those who love the sport. Out of the thousands of people I have come across in my life, I know one who wanted to be a ref (he's actually an official in the 2nd tier of English Soccer).

As ridiculous as it sounds, people should want to make a career out of being an NFL official but instead, it's the usual old boys club of officials who are lucky to be able to see 10 yards in front of their face, never mind officiate an elite speed sport.

Sure, there are semantics on what should be reviewable etc, however the overall officiating is terrible yet the NFL doesn't do anything to improve this.

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just don't understand why NFL refs don't get paid big, 6 figure salaries when their job is so high pressure and in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Higher salary = more people wanting to be refs = better quality employee pool = better officiating.

It's the exact same in English Soccer. Sure, refs get paid pretty well, but the foul abuse they get off players and fans means the amount of people wanting to be a ref is so small compared to those who love the sport. Out of the thousands of people I have come across in my life, I know one who wanted to be a ref (he's actually an official in the 2nd tier of English Soccer).

As ridiculous as it sounds, people should want to make a career out of being an NFL official but instead, it's the usual old boys club of officials who are lucky to be able to see 10 yards in front of their face, never mind officiate an elite speed sport.

Sure, there are semantics on what should be reviewable etc, however the overall officiating is terrible yet the NFL doesn't do anything to improve this.

So I just looked up the salary of the refs and they were paid  $189,000 last year, scheduled to move to $205,000 in 2019. Just how much money were you thinking?

Here's the wierd rule I found. "One interesting tidbit is that part-time NFL officials are restricted to earning no more than 50 percent of their annual income from refereeing in the NFL. Another job – and a well-paid job at that – is a requirement. Referees' side gigs run the gamut from dairy farmer to high school principal."

That seems real strange. I'm with you, I think that should be their full time season job.

23 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So I just looked up the salary of the refs and they were paid  $189,000 last year, scheduled to move to $205,000 in 2019. Just how much money were you thinking?

Here's the wierd rule I found. "One interesting tidbit is that part-time NFL officials are restricted to earning no more than 50 percent of their annual income from refereeing in the NFL. Another job – and a well-paid job at that – is a requirement. Referees' side gigs run the gamut from dairy farmer to high school principal."

That seems real strange. I'm with you, I think that should be their full time season job.

Full time, and they can go to teams training camps and stuff all spring/summer to be essentially "reffing" year round.  They can have down time to do whatever they want that aligns with the players schedules.  $200K is a pretty damn good salary, considering its for about 5 months out of the year.  And I'm guessing during the season the NFL covers most things like travel, lodging, etc.  

The officiating needs to be fixed, but it's really hard to get people interested in doing it.  Unlike high school sports or even college, the NFL has the power to get the best of the best and make it a very desirable job to have, even with the scrutiny and pressure that comes with it.

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The problem is 2-fold:

1.  The best refs now often are successful at other jobs.  So you make it full time you lose a few of the best.   Long term you can deal with it but short term the quality goes down noticeably.   That’s a tough sell in today’s impatient world. 

2.   As you said it’s a position that few actually want to want to do.   Money talks but you then narrow the field further if you require it to be full time. 

The league is up to 24 full time officials as of this year.   So it’s working it’s way up.   But there’s no quick fix coming.  The fact that 4-5 senior guys retired the last 2 years (Ed Hochuli and his guns being a partner in a law firm one of the famous cases of all points above) really has shown up this year. 

Edited by Broncofan