Random Thoughts

AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, jonnyj20 said:

Prime Terrell Owens took over games as much as any receiver in the game. It was certainly a shorter time span than the other players you mentioned, but he was unstoppable for 2-3 years. 

I would say it was longer than that. From 1998 to 2008 he was dominant, he had two years in that span, one the broken ankle injury in Philly year and '99 in SF which I believe was a year Garcia was hurt, when he didn't put up big numbers but aside from that he was pretty darn elite for the better part of a decade. His peak years, 2000-2004 he averaged 89 catches for 1,293 yards and 13 TDs and even then the game wasn't as pass-happy or as friendly to the passing game as it is now.

After Jerry Rice, T.O. was the best WR I've seen play. He his size/speed/strength combination was unheard of during his time (he was bigger than Shannon Sharpe and A LOT faster), he was an elite blocker, he played through injury and he never took a play off. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

On 3/13/2019 at 4:45 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

Am I the only one in the world who thinks that AB and O'Dell Beckham are not that great? Then only receivers I ever saw take over games were Rice, Moss, and the Sharpe brothers...and they never caused problems 

OBJ statistically had the best start to a career than any receiver ever, with a trash QB. He's only 26...I think we could see some insane seasons from him with a real QB. AB I think is closer to falling off....but he's been essentially un-coverable for about 5 years. He's not as physically dominant as other greats though, more a precision guy 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

OBJ statistically had the best start to a career than any receiver ever, with a trash QB. He's only 26...I think we could see some insane seasons from him with a real QB. AB I think is closer to falling off....but he's been essentially un-coverable for about 5 years. He's not as physically dominant as other greats though, more a precision guy 

Also have to consider the evolution of the game. Remeber, Moss, Owens, Carter, Sharpe Bros, all had to deal with rules that actually allowed a DB to play defense. Now with the way the game has gone, it's tough for me to compare them since it really isn't apples to apples anymore. More like apples to Pears.

• Like 1

As I get older, I get fatter.  I remember when I could eat an entire Cheesecake Factory cheesecake with dinner and gain, maybe a pound, for about two hours before I killed those calories.  Now, it's like I think about cheesecake and I gain five pounds that will take me five weeks to work off.  

7 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Also have to consider the evolution of the game. Remeber, Moss, Owens, Carter, Sharpe Bros, all had to deal with rules that actually allowed a DB to play defense. Now with the way the game has gone, it's tough for me to compare them since it really isn't apples to apples anymore. More like apples to Pears.

Yeah, it’s a passing league now.  Not that these guys aren’t good, but it’s just a different game.

It’s just personal preference and Owens did some things better than Moss, but I think Moss is the best WR I’ve ever seen.  I was a bit young when Jerry Rice was doing his thing.  ‘97 was when I really remember football and I was 9, so I missed the dominant Rice years.

Moss was just an absolute freak at the position.  6’4” with 4.2 speed.  Devastating as a vertical threat and while not ridiculously shifty if there was any type of seam on a slant or short route he was gone.

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, it’s a passing league now.  Not that these guys aren’t good, but it’s just a different game.

It’s just personal preference and Owens did some things better than Moss, but I think Moss is the best WR I’ve ever seen.  I was a bit young when Jerry Rice was doing his thing.  ‘97 was when I really remember football and I was 9, so I missed the dominant Rice years.

Moss was just an absolute freak at the position.  6’4” with 4.2 speed.  Devastating as a vertical threat and while not ridiculously shifty if there was any type of seam on a slant or short route he was gone.

You should find some Rice tape, probably might give you a boner. 

13 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

If Jerry Rice had played with today's rules, he would have put up numbers that aren't even comprehensible. 

The thing about Beckham is that the Giants have paid a lot of the cash from his deal already. His cap hits are as follows:

19/20 - $17m
20/21 - $14.25m
21/22 - $15.75m
22/23 - $15m
23/24 - $15m

Those numbers are going to be really, really favourable for the Browns in a couple of years time. The list of WRs who (project) to carry a higher cap hit in 20/21 include Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Alshon Jeffrey, Allen Robinson and TY Hilton. OBJ blows all of them out of the water.

If (and it's a big if) Odell can keep his head straight, this is going to be a trade for the ages for the Browns.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The thing about Beckham is that the Giants have paid a lot of the cash from his deal already. His cap hits are as follows:

19/20 - $17m
20/21 - $14.25m
21/22 - $15.75m
22/23 - $15m
23/24 - $15m

Those numbers are going to be really, really favourable for the Browns in a couple of years time. The list of WRs who (project) to carry a higher cap hit in 20/21 include Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Alshon Jeffrey, Allen Robinson and TY Hilton. OBJ blows all of them out of the water.

If (and it's a big if) Odell can keep his head straight, this is going to be a trade for the ages for the Browns.  

True but if he continues to play even marginally well OBJ will start asking for a new deal. It’s not the money it’s the status. He knows where he stands in that list and I can’t imagine he’s too happy to not be at the top.

40 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

True but if he continues to play even marginally well OBJ will start asking for a new deal. It’s not the money it’s the status. He knows where he stands in that list and I can’t imagine he’s too happy to not be at the top.

I believe Lomaxgr's point is that he was paid a fair amount up front, so while his average salary of $18m (and total $ of $90m) are the top in the league - the Browns will be on the hook for only $15m/year on the back end of the deal. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

I believe Lomaxgr's point is that he was paid a fair amount up front, so while his average salary of $18m (and total $ of $90m) are the top in the league - the Browns will be on the hook for only $15m/year on the back end of the deal. 

That's exactly what I meant. @broncos_fan _from _uk I hear you, and he could still do that despite his deal being frontloaded, but he's going to he's going to have very little leverage given the length of contract he signed.

He will also be earning a lot more after tax in Ohio vs New York.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

An interesting point about the WR discussion is to think who was the last truly elite WR to have won Super Bowl? 

DT won SB 50, Marvin Harrison was on the Colts in 2006 when they won but run down the list of recent champions, how many of those teams had a truly elite WR? There haven't been many in the last 20 years. If you back to the 1990s and before you see Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Torry Holt and Issac Bruce but in the most recent era, the most pass-happy and pass-heavy period in NFL history, the number of elite WRs with Super Bowl rings are few and far between. 

Elite WRs like AB and OBJ get a lot of headlines, help win fantasy football leagues and make a lot of money but are they a key ingredient to championship formula? Recent history says no. 

• Like 1